Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jul 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2,806 of 4,278
Probably not. It's close enough for tubes. If you want you can try to reduce the value of R2 on the 114V tube. Maybe 175R if you can find one. But, if everything sounds good, I'd leave it alone.

Also, although the website says to use ECC99 with Regal's mod, your PS will handle the 6N6Ps too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #2,807 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, although the website says to use ECC99 with Regal's mod, your PS will handle the 6N6Ps too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Does this mean anyone can use 6n6p with Regal's mod, and if not what further modifications need to be made?

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #2,808 of 4,278
No, unfortunately.

IIRC, fishski is using a special PS with cap multipliers substituted for the two filter R/C sections. The multipliers have a very small voltage drop and a constant voltage drop for any current that the Bijou can draw. Hence fishski can do almost anything and his B+ will stay at 250V because the input to regulator will stay well above 250V.

The PS mod is quite a few pages back. I can post the schematic again if you'd like to see it.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #2,809 of 4,278
Quote:

Probably not. It's close enough for tubes. If you want you can try to reduce the value of R2 on the 114V tube. Maybe 175R if you can find one. But, if everything sounds good, I'd leave it alone.

smily_headphones1.gif

thanks Alex!

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2,810 of 4,278
Quote:

No, unfortunately.

IIRC, fishski is using a special PS with cap multipliers substituted for the two filter R/C sections. The multipliers have a very small voltage drop and a constant voltage drop for any current that the Bijou can draw. Hence fishski can do almost anything and his B+ will stay at 250V because the input to regulator will stay well above 250V.

The PS mod is quite a few pages back. I can post the schematic again if you'd like to see it.

No need thanks, found it! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4869555-post1601.html

Probably should get on and build my Bijou first before thinking about any mods
biggrin.gif

Did the P/S add on boards ever get made or does this need to be done on perf board?

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2,812 of 4,278
I've been putting some serious hours on my Bijou lately. It gets about 2-6 hrs of use everyday where I keep it in the office. Just the other day I heard a bit of a "fftht" sound and the feedback on one channel died. I'm guessing R12 on one channel gave up. Are there any negative implications other than not having feedback anymore?

Note to self. No more 1/8w resistors.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #2,813 of 4,278
Running without NFB is perfectly alright, especially if you listen with high Z phones.

However, R12 doesn't really pass any current. 1.8W should be ok here. If R12 is really fried this could be indicative of another problem. One that has not so far been reported.

Please let us know what has actually happened.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #2,814 of 4,278
If you run high Z phones, I would recommend leaving out the NFB. If you think you will sometimes use low impedance phones then a little NFB wouldn't be too bad.

Kudos Fishski on the Regal mod!

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2,815 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zk, any chance of a youtube of the vu meters bouncing?

Here's a short video clip of the Bijou with jlm vu buffers in action. Pls forgive the poor audio sq due to camcorder mic input.

(click link in case embedded video does not work)

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2,816 of 4,278
Very nice Joel - color me jealous.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #2,819 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean anyone can use 6n6p with Regal's mod, and if not what further modifications need to be made?

I switched to the russian tubes with no further mods other than what was listed for the EC99's, the PS can handle it and the ruskies sound bettter.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2,820 of 4,278
I'm using 6N1P, and 6N6P with Regal's mods. I can't regulate to 250V. I believe I'm set for 245V. There's too much voltage loss in the tube rectifier and the CRCRC filter. Keep an eye on the voltage over time, especially after it warms up for a few hours. There are tube variations, so some may and some may not have issues.

Cap multiplier drops less voltage, as does the choke mods (I believe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back