BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Dec 20, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #708 of 5,353
Anyone have tried to compare the DM6 and the IT04?? Wondering whats their difference? Do they have the same sound sig? Anyone can shed light?

BGVP_iBasso_01.jpg

BGVP_iBasso_02.jpg
BGVP_iBasso_03.jpg

I have both the DM6 and the IT04, so here are some comparative notes. This is not a full scale comparison – just some comments on points of difference I notice after a couple of hours A/B-ing between them. Sources were an iBasso DX120 and an iFi nano dac/amp plugged into my mac mini.

Physical: Build quality is very good for both. Similar size shells, IT04 is slightly larger but they fit my ears better (I have large-ish ears). IT04 have a longer stem and go deeper. I find it easier to get a good seal with the iBasso. iBasso has a better cable – lighter, more flexible and comfortable and comes balanced with a 3.5mm adapter (really wish other manufacturers would include adapters as standard).

In terms of sound quality it is a close call. In one sense that counts as a win to the DM6 because it is less than half the price. If you criterion is bang-for-buck, DM6 is the champ. In terms of pure sound preference I go with the IT04, but as I said – it's a photo finish.

The main difference in sound is that the IT04 is a hybrid so it has DD bass. DM6 has good bass which is a bit faster with cleaner attack than the IT04 – but the IT04 has significantly more weight. My test for bass control and separation is the Superbass album (Ray Brown, Christian McBride and John Clayton). Three great bass players jamming together, is a good separation test, and the distinction between each instrument is clear on both units. For “feel in it my chest” bass, my test track is “Wallace” from the Hans Zimmer soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049. This is where I really see the point of a hybrid. The IT04 produces a visceral rumble that the DM6 can’t match. The DM6 has good extension and probably has slightly faster bass than the IT04, but I like bass to have thickness and weight so it seems like you feel it as much as you hear it. If you are choosing between them, the most important question to ask (IMO) is whether you prefer DD bass to BA bass.

Other differences, to my ears: vocals sound slightly more forward on the DM6. DM6 has more air in the treble and seems to have slightly better treble extension. The texture and realism of voices is great on both but I think the DM6 just wins here. Both units have plenty of detail – but the DM6 seems a little more resolving and recovers more micro detail. The IT04 is smoother by comparison. I find the DM6 very intense. If I am going to listen to music for 30 minutes I will probably reach for the DM6. If I am going to listen for 3 hours then I definitely choose the IT04.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #709 of 5,353
The Encore is super cool, though it doesn’t do EDM well. It is more suited for rock or acoustic and orchestra, in my opinion. It’s wonderful and all, truly amazing, but I personally don’t like how it does electronic drums. So I use it maybe 1/3 of the time. Though it is jaw dropping in what it does. Strangely it’s complementary to the DM6 if you can believe it?

dayum, im speechless coming from you that own and experienced both dm6 and Noble kaiser, most probably i have to audition the dm6 during my weekends though but in SG the dm6 only has few aesthetic selections compared to buying from Penon Audio~

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #710 of 5,353
just received my DM6 from my local dealer in SG and GOD DAMN, IT BUTCHERED MY TRIPLE FI 10 like its nothing.
Yo, mind if i inquire where exactly do you buy it?

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #713 of 5,353
Bgvp are unable to manufacture the curent model dm6. People are waiting month and longer. In their place i should focus first on the completing what is not completed. Are you serious about dm6s?

Haha.. very good point.

And where did the story/rumour of DM6S start ?

3 months ago Official BGVP in my country said there will be DM6S but I think the plan has been changed already.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #714 of 5,353

I have both the DM6 and the IT04, so here are some comparative notes. This is not a full scale comparison – just some comments on points of difference I notice after a couple of hours A/B-ing between them. Sources were an iBasso DX120 and an iFi nano dac/amp plugged into my mac mini.

Physical: Build quality is very good for both. Similar size shells, IT04 is slightly larger but they fit my ears better (I have large-ish ears). IT04 have a longer stem and go deeper. I find it easier to get a good seal with the iBasso. iBasso has a better cable – lighter, more flexible and comfortable and comes balanced with a 3.5mm adapter (really wish other manufacturers would include adapters as standard).

In terms of sound quality it is a close call. In one sense that counts as a win to the DM6 because it is less than half the price. If you criterion is bang-for-buck, DM6 is the champ. In terms of pure sound preference I go with the IT04, but as I said – it's a photo finish.

The main difference in sound is that the IT04 is a hybrid so it has DD bass. DM6 has good bass which is a bit faster with cleaner attack than the IT04 – but the IT04 has significantly more weight. My test for bass control and separation is the Superbass album (Ray Brown, Christian McBride and John Clayton). Three great bass players jamming together, is a good separation test, and the distinction between each instrument is clear on both units. For “feel in it my chest” bass, my test track is “Wallace” from the Hans Zimmer soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049. This is where I really see the point of a hybrid. The IT04 produces a visceral rumble that the DM6 can’t match. The DM6 has good extension and probably has slightly faster bass than the IT04, but I like bass to have thickness and weight so it seems like you feel it as much as you hear it. If you are choosing between them, the most important question to ask (IMO) is whether you prefer DD bass to BA bass.

Other differences, to my ears: vocals sound slightly more forward on the DM6. DM6 has more air in the treble and seems to have slightly better treble extension. The texture and realism of voices is great on both but I think the DM6 just wins here. Both units have plenty of detail – but the DM6 seems a little more resolving and recovers more micro detail. The IT04 is smoother by comparison. I find the DM6 very intense. If I am going to listen to music for 30 minutes I will probably reach for the DM6. If I am going to listen for 3 hours then I definitely choose the IT04.

Thank you dor this! Really helps a lot.. i like the sig of the it04 but my ears cant stand it.. its big for me and after 10-15 mins of auditioning, my ears are crying for pain.. its heavy and thick for my ears but i really enjoyed that 15mins of demo-ing. Hope the DM6 will fit me better as u said its a bit smaller..

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #718 of 5,353
Damn was in contact with that guy since monday and now that i plan go his place, all sold out.. poor me.

yea if u r referring to audiofido yes im afraid its out of stock.... restock @ end of January due to china having holidays ~

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back