Beyer's dirty little secret (pwn inside)
Mar 11, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACm0nkEy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps, but other brands like Phillips, JVC and Skullcandy did it without any pleather inside providing competitive comfort and no odor.

Although it does get a little warm in this part of the house, the problem isn't environmental. My skin responds to contact in such a way that it becomes damp. Moreover I do very intense listening at marginally safe volumes that has a physical effect of a workout.

There is honestly no real reason or excuse why Beyer couldn't have put the foam inside the velour without the pleather, or at least use a layer of cloth instead of the pleather.

I liked k601 pads better to be honest anyways.

Sure there is and they're mostly acoustic.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #18 of 30
I should get me some of those velour pads. I bought the DT880 Manufaktur used from the FS forums and it comes with 2 pairs of (pleather?) ear pads, black and red. How different is the velour going to sound? From my experience with my ALO-780, it added bass quantity, took away the impact, mids are more upfront and the high's are tamed. Personally, I didn't really like the effect on the low and high freq, but the mid freq sounds a tad better. I prefer bass slam/impact over quantity and for the high's to be very detailed and present
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 30
yes, it allows for quick cleaning I think.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACm0nkEy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these Beyer pads are nice and soft, but perhaps too soft.

I find them terribly itchy after a couple of hours...the cd3k pads are just FAR more comfortable.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find them terribly itchy after a couple of hours...the cd3k pads are just FAR more comfortable.

For me they itch once they get damp. The stupid pleather layer right under velour traps the moisture in the top layer and it doesn't get vented.
At this point I am considering custom made options cause the whole pad issue is getting ridiculous (so far I've only liked pads of Phillips SHP8500, Skullcandy GI (winter camo), AKG k601, Grado flats were allright).

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #24 of 30
What about something like the Garfield Headphone Softie? It's a slip-on cover for headphones. Helps with the sweaty skin under the earpads problems. The softies should fit the smaller Beyers, I doubt they'd fit the larger Beyers. They'll fit nicely over my Sony MDR-V6. Will not fit over my big headphones like my Denon D2000 or HD600. It's an interesting product idea. Handy for special cases. As with ear pad mods that modify the ear pad to head coupling, they can affect bass and other audio characteristics if you are being picky.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with ear pad mods that modify the ear pad to head coupling, they can affect bass and other audio characteristics if you are being picky.

That's the greatest challenge. I fear that after I spend countless hours fabricating the perfect earpad, I won't like the sound of any headphone I own. Then I'll have to start all over again either with fabrication or headphone search.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #26 of 30
Hmm... never had that sweating problem with my Beyers.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 30
You wouldn't have the same type of sound if there is no pleather part within the pads, and this also proves there was some thinking within those pads.

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that if you removed the pleather, they would not just breathe out your sweat, it would also let in bass backwave, cancelling a lot of bass. Some manufacturers write in the specification that there is pleather inside.

That's what I was thinking too. The velour AKG K240 pads sound like garbage (on the Sextetts at least), and I bet they'd sound better with pleather inside.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #30 of 30
So I've had a pair of DT770 250ohm 2005 consumer with new pads for over a year now.  I still can't get used to the hot and sticky pads.  They don't itch as much anymore though.
I'll definitely keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back