Beyer's dirty little secret (pwn inside)
Mar 11, 2010 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

FLACm0nkEy

100+ Head-Fier
Lookie here! Mmm... Soft velour pads. Lets see here... wait what?... what the hell??? What is this?!! PLEEEAAAATHERRR!!!!
popcorn.gif

This certainly explains why (much to my surprise) these nice velour pads would get nasty and damp with sweat after just half hour of use. Pleather under the velour traps the moisture, keeping the velour wet and nasty. Design flaw.

So we all know these pads are universally popular as an addition to just about any headphone. Personally I have another problem with them, which is harder to fix than pleather. I think these Beyer pads are nice and soft, but perhaps too soft. They compress too thin making the headphone rest on your earlobes by the driver grills. Not good. Anyone else noticed this?

Thoughts?

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 30
Well I dunno they feel great to me.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 30
My pleather Senn 212s feel fine, not sure what kinda temperatures your ears are running at lol. Get air conditioning?

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 30
Maybe you should hit the gym? or get checked out for hyper hydrosis? I have leather and pleather on headphones and can never tell the difference... or have experienced any issues with heat....
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACm0nkEy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lookie here! Mmm... Soft velour pads. Lets see here... wait what?... what the hell??? What is this?!! PLEEEAAAATHERRR!!!!
popcorn.gif

Thoughts?

lol this post made me laugh @ my university library
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 30
How do you get pleather damp with sweat? What, are you sprinting around the room while you're listening to headphones? Maybe a little greasy, but damp? Really?

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you get pleather damp with sweat? What, are you sprinting around the room while you're listening to headphones? Maybe a little greasy, but damp? Really?

Maybe he lives in an area that is hot and humid.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 30
my valor pads are fine on my dt990s, but then again, i do live in the great white north..eh?

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 30
tongue.gif
Seeing I live in Australia which is really just an oven, I get the hot thing. However, I just feel hot and don't sweet much AROUND MY EAR.

That said, I think beyer's solution is better than others. What if the sweat gets in the sponge and then it starts to smell really bad? At least with this, you can sort of clean it.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
Seeing I live in Australia which is really just an oven, I get the hot thing. However, I just feel hot and don't sweet much AROUND MY EAR.

That said, I think beyer's solution is better than others. What if the sweat gets in the sponge and then it starts to smell really bad? At least with this, you can sort of clean it.

Perhaps, but other brands like Phillips, JVC and Skullcandy did it without any pleather inside providing competitive comfort and no odor.

Although it does get a little warm in this part of the house, the problem isn't environmental. My skin responds to contact in such a way that it becomes damp. Moreover I do very intense listening at marginally safe volumes that has a physical effect of a workout.

There is honestly no real reason or excuse why Beyer couldn't have put the foam inside the velour without the pleather, or at least use a layer of cloth instead of the pleather.

I liked k601 pads better to be honest anyways.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Moreover I do very intense listening at marginally safe volumes that has a physical effect of a workout.

If I could do this I would have 32" biceps and a six pack by now.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

popcorn.gif

Thoughts?

I think that if you removed the pleather, they would not just breathe out your sweat, it would also let in bass backwave, cancelling a lot of bass. Some manufacturers write in the specification that there is pleather inside.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could do this I would have 32" biceps and a six pack by now.

32" acer monitor in front of me and a 6 pack of newcastle in the room fridge. I'm already there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back