BeyerDynamics DT990 600 ohms vs 250 ohms
May 20, 2007 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

pompon

500+ Head-Fier
My friend have the 600 ohms and me the 250 ohms.

We tested with headphone directly on X-Meridian 7.1 sound card and using SinglePower MPX3-Slam to confirm the results.

We took time to adjust with pinknoise both headphone using RadioShack sound level meter to be sure to have the same level.

I prefer much more the 250 ohms. More dynamics and better envelopping.
Mids seem more pleasant ... I don't know how to described that. Highs on the 600 ohms are a bit softer to the 250 ohms.

I hope will help you to take a decision.

May 20, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the information. Do both cans have the same number of play time (burn in or actual play).

Both was perfectly burned.

May 20, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 26
Well something else to the mix. I was going to order some 990's in 600ohm but now. . .

May 20, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer much more the 250 ohms. More dynamics and better envelopping.
Mids seem more pleasant ... I don't know how to described that. Highs on the 600 ohms are a bit softer to the 250 ohms..

But then again, 250ohm DT990 highs are artificially boosted, hence the feeling of more dynamics and engagement. 600ohm should be more balance natured, and this post somewhat confirms it.

May 20, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 26
This thread is somehat contrarian to prevailing wisdom and there is nothing wrong with that. I have heard that Beyer recommend 600 ohm for all of the DT770, DT880 and DT990 as best if one can properly amp them. (But that could be apocryphal.)

I will note that many that have compared the DT880s (a different but related can) in 250 and 600 ohms (including myself) have preferred the 600.

Consistent with what Maza said, the 600 ohm versions are reputed to be the smoothest and my experience bears that out.

Now whether smoother is better for the DT990 is an interesting question. For the DT880s, the answer is absolutely yes IMHO.

May 20, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 26
I also prefered the 600 ohm DT880 to the 250, which I was able to compare directly. I agree the highs on the 600 ohms are softer, which I felt was a positive.

I have only heard the 250 ohm DT990's, however.

May 21, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then again, 250ohm DT990 highs are artificially boosted, hence the feeling of more dynamics and engagement. 600ohm should be more balance natured, and this post somewhat confirms it.

QFT! It's not something that leaps out at you if you've not heard the new 600ohm version, but it does when you switch to the 600ohm. Yeah, more behaved highs aren't a bad thing. I disagree that the 250's mids are sweeter...

As soon as I get over this cold I'll have something more concrete to say in comparing the two.

But that's why there are two versions, people will prefer one to the other.

May 21, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 26
I've been trying to find it, to make sure I could substantiate my comment, and found it at last. Now mind you, it's a from another Head-Fi'er who translated it from a review written by a Head-Fi'er in Korea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SangHo Sung
....I got my hands on new DT990 - 600ohm today...and it sounds VERY different from the regular 250ohm version, as if they were totatlly different headphones. It has basically the same sonical signature of regular DT990, but the sound is more calm and refined than the 250ohm... This headphone is NOT HARSH.....I really can't find the sibilant factor with this phone...it's very smooth sounding, unlike the 250ohm version.....I was expecting something similar to 250ohm version, but this is soooooooo different.......It seems like the bass has loosened a bit, compared to the tight bass of 250ohm version. I think it's because the headphone isn't burned in yet, or because it's harder to drive than the 250ohm. I am currently using Xenos X3ha amp, so maybe it's lack of juice....I am not getting the "In your face" factor, like that I got from the 250ohm + Xenos X3ha combination ......I think I need a better amp......The soundstage seems to be better than 250 ohm... and it seems little laid-back, comparing to 250 ohm version..

Update : I have only few hours of burn in time on these, but the bass is already becoming much tighther and more powerful...Richer in sound. I guess I have to take back my words on "loose bass".

I sent a e-mail to Beyerdynamic, and they told me that there's difference in sound for each 32ohm, 250ohm, and 600ohm models. They'd recommend 600ohm version if the user has Powerful amp

The comment I was referring to is bolded; straight from the horses mouth I suppose. That being said I'm just itching to pull the trigger on a custom DT990
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been trying to find it, to make sure I could substantiate my comment, and found it at last. Now mind you, it's a from another Head-Fi'er who translated it from a review written by a Head-Fi'er in Korea.

The comment I was referring to is bolded; straight from the horses mouth I suppose. That being said I'm just itching to pull the trigger on a custom DT990
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is exactly what I needed to know. I've been stuck trying to decide which version to get. I have a Hat Peed Thingee on order and it should be plenty to drive the 600 ohm version properly. Looks like I'm going visit headphonesolutions after I post this
dt880smile.png

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 26
I just got my 990/600 today and have only heard them pre burn-in right out of the box through my Woo 3. With a top-notch SACD through the Marantz 8300 they sound very good: smooth, balanced with a sweet top-end and plenty of bass. When my Raptor gets back from Ray, the fun will begin in earnest!

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 26
This was a real "back from the dead" thread bump. As such, my almost 3 year old post above isn't accurate anymore, if anyone cares - I have now owned both the 880 and 990 in 250 and 600 ohm, and was able to compare them both directly, and preferred the 600 ohm versions of both. But for people who like a lot of treble, the 250 ohm versions have more treble energy. I think they have more than is natural, and that the 600 ohm versions are more natural, but that is just my opinion.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 26
I agree 100% with you.
3 Years ago I was not where I am now.
I have much more experience now, I have listened MANY amp, DAC, Headphones ...

I can't listen anymore my DT990 ... the V shape of the sound is not good anymore for me.
I heard DT880 2003 250 ohms (recently) and found them pretty good. They remind me DT990 2005 600 ohms. But the DT880 pro 2005 250 ohms are completely different and I don't like them at all. They too light, too bright and lack weight.

Ty for your comments, will be usefull for new reader.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 26
wow this is very interesting. after these years, u guys had complete opposite opinions on them. i was set on getting a pair of dt990/600 premiums but i might consider other things.

hows the bass on the dt990 and dt880? i will be amping them with a musiland 02 monitor that i have not purchased yet. how are the mids and such? i listen to a lot of rap/hip hop/acoustic/rock/punk rock and such. to give a good example of how much bass i like, if there was a scale, 5 being average bass and 10 being uber basshead, id possibly be around a 7ish, maybe 7.5. which one do u think ill like the most?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back