Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #976 of 2,937
The mids might look scooped on this graph, but that's not really what I hear. These plots are normalized at 1 kHz, so imagine adjusting the volume up on the Andromedas so that the overall sound pressure levels are roughly the same. Now what you get is an excessive mid-bass with the Andromedas. They extend the treble farther out than the Xelentos, but the overwhelming factor for me is the excessive mid-bass. Bear in mind, that's my own personal preference. You might like that, but my main critique of the Xelentos is I'd damp its mid-bass down a fraction more if I could. The Andromeda's mid-bass is even more pronounced.

Andromeda.png

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #977 of 2,937
Hi csglinux,

Any chance you can create a graph comparing the Xelento to the SE846 blue filter?

Thanks for all your feedback. The issue I see with the other bluetooth solutions is they're a bit of hack, requiring a custom shorter cable, etc. I'm currently using a Klipsch X12 neckband for my bluetooth needs (mostly when out walking or exercising) but would love something with better sound quality. I like the idea of some of the bluetooth MMCX cables, but all the reviews are mixes. The Sony MUC-M2BT1 looks to be better in many ways, though it seems to require mods when used with some other IEMs. Hopefully the Xelento wireless provides a high-quality all-in-one solution.

With all the many great IEMs using an MMCX connector, it's surprising that no aftermarket high-quality bluetooth cable has been released yet.

Thanks,

Mark

I wanted to make a couple of suggestions here. The Xelento Wireless sounded good to me, but I've only heard them in a noisy CanJam environment. You might also want to seriously consider the Shanling M0 as a Bluetooth solution (it supports SBC, AAC, AptX and LDAC support is on the way). It's the only Bluetooth receiver I've heard that doesn't hiss at all - even with the most sensitive IEMs. And it's only $99. And it doesn't hurt that it's tiny and can also be used as a stand-alone hi-res DAP :)

If you're bored with your SE846, there's a much cheaper option to buying a new IEM. You should try the various filter mods, particularly the "trishd" mod with the FS tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

These mods can almost turn your SE846 into a Xelento :)

I can't recommend the Andromeda to anybody. Its sound isn't bad, but its ergonomics are unforgivably awful. Even if you can get them to fit and seal in your ear canal, you've got those sharp metal corners poking your ears the whole time. The Xelentos are sooooo much more comfortable than the Andromedas. You should definitely try to audition both if you still feel you have to upgrade, because the Andromeda could be an expensive mistake, IMHO.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #978 of 2,937
Hi csglinux,

Any chance you can create a graph comparing the Xelento to the SE846 blue filter?

Thanks for all your feedback. The issue I see with the other bluetooth solutions is they're a bit of hack, requiring a custom shorter cable, etc. I'm currently using a Klipsch X12 neckband for my bluetooth needs (mostly when out walking or exercising) but would love something with better sound quality. I like the idea of some of the bluetooth MMCX cables, but all the reviews are mixes. The Sony MUC-M2BT1 looks to be better in many ways, though it seems to require mods when used with some other IEMs. Hopefully the Xelento wireless provides a high-quality all-in-one solution.

With all the many great IEMs using an MMCX connector, it's surprising that no aftermarket high-quality bluetooth cable has been released yet.

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark,

There are some comparisons against the SE846 (stock blue, brown Knowles and trishd mod filters) in the review I wrote on the Xelentos. Click on the Shure SE846 spoiler link in the following:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

I agree it's surprising that there hasn't been a good BT solution yet in an mmcx cable. All those I've heard have been poor SQ and very hissy. I know it's possible, because Shanling just made something equivalently tiny in the M0 which sounds great - and zero noise floor, even when operating in BT receiver mode. I'm not sure if the Xelento wireless unit is going to include a shorter cable when sold separately. Does anybody know?

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #979 of 2,937
Thanks for the graphs!

In the Xelento wireless photos, it looks like the bluetooth dongle hangs about mid-chest.

Hi Mark,

There are some comparisons against the SE846 (stock blue, brown Knowles and trishd mod filters) in the review I wrote on the Xelentos. Click on the Shure SE846 spoiler link in the following:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

I agree it's surprising that there hasn't been a good BT solution yet in an mmcx cable. All those I've heard have been poor SQ and very hissy. I know it's possible, because Shanling just made something equivalently tiny in the M0 which sounds great - and zero noise floor, even when operating in BT receiver mode. I'm not sure if the Xelento wireless unit is going to include a shorter cable when sold separately. Does anybody know?

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #980 of 2,937
In the Xelento wireless photos, it looks like the bluetooth dongle hangs about mid-chest.

That's right. What I'm not sure of is whether that short cable with the remote detaches from the main BT unit and, if so, whether it's included when you buy just the wireless unit. Hopefully you wouldn't need to buy the entire Xelento Wireless package for $1200 just to get that cable... I can't remember from my audition whether that cable is detachable or not. I know there's a socket on the other side that turns the wireless into a wired pair.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #981 of 2,937
That's right. What I'm not sure of is whether that short cable with the remote detaches from the main BT unit and, if so, whether it's included when you buy just the wireless unit. Hopefully you wouldn't need to buy the entire Xelento Wireless package for $1200 just to get that cable... I can't remember from my audition whether that cable is detachable or not. I know there's a socket on the other side that turns the wireless into a wired pair.

I don’t believe the remote section detaches, from my recollection at CanJam. Pretty sure the charging port is in that part of the unit (which was a big drawback for me). Loved the sound, don’t like the ergonomics.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #982 of 2,937
I don’t believe the remote section detaches, from my recollection at CanJam. Pretty sure the charging port is in that part of the unit (which was a big drawback for me). Loved the sound, don’t like the ergonomics.
I think you're probably right that the cable is permanently attached. Also, I think I was mistaken about a connector port at the bottom. I've heard the wireless version comes with a regular cable too, but it looks like the connections are made at the mmcx plugs/sockets:

he-17-tk-P1020102.jpg

P.S. The charging port seems to be well hidden!

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #983 of 2,937
If i remember, the charging port is a micro usb at the bottom and it does come with a inline remote cable, the iEM is only detachable from the MMCX, I'll try to find the promotional leaflet and post back, but the information was many months back, so a update version might be available.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #984 of 2,937
I posted this before, but I'll post again for the actual spec and detail.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #985 of 2,937
I found a used pair at a local shop and these sound amazingly clear and detailed. Very tempted to pick them up. SQ and fit are pretty good.

Can anyone comment on the isolation? I’ll be using these on busy subways (ER4XR and MD+ are my baseline for good isolation ).

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #986 of 2,937
Can anyone comment on the isolation? I’ll be using these on busy subways (ER4XR and MD+ are my baseline for good isolation ).
Nothing on this planet isolates like an Ety. Don't expect ER4XR level of isolation and then you won't be disappointed :wink:
But if you're listening in a moderately quiet environment, the Xelentos (to my ears) are a much more enjoyable listen - based on every metric I know.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #989 of 2,937
The release date has been slipping for the past year :-/
I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but Beyer now have some very tough competition in the wireless market.

Shanling's M0 just got updated to support LDAC receiving capabilities. I have to say (and this is coming from somebody who usually hates Bluetooth with a passion), the sound quality of LDAC to the M0 is really, really good - easily the best I've heard from Bluetooth. And all of this in a tiny $99 device that's also a DAP and an external DAC. I'm no longer in the market for a Xelento wireless. At this stage, I just don't feel it has anything to offer than I don't already have with my Xelento remote + M0.

Jun 13, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #990 of 2,937
I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but Beyer now have some very tough competition in the wireless market.

Shanling's M0 just got updated to support LDAC receiving capabilities. I have to say (and this is coming from somebody who usually hates Bluetooth with a passion), the sound quality of LDAC to the M0 is really, really good - easily the best I've heard from Bluetooth. And all of this in a tiny $99 device that's also a DAP and an external DAC. I'm no longer in the market for a Xelento wireless. At this stage, I just don't feel it has anything to offer than I don't already have with my Xelento remote + M0.

Hm, this is interesting.

Do you have any other amps to compare to? Like the Chord Mojo, iFi Nano BL, xDSD, etc. Just the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back