Beyerdynamic Xelento!
May 17, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #946 of 2,934
They are not comfy to sleep with in my honest opinion, but neither is any other IEM to me experience. Or at least very very few would be comfy to sleep with.

For xelento, the main issue wouldn't be size, but the anatomy of your ears. They aren't deep fitting, so you shouldn't have pain in the inner parts of your ear, but everyone has a different anatomy, and if you mention sleeping with them, you could really have their bores push into the ear canal and cause pain eventually. Another thing that might affect things is driver flex, I don't know how much you move during sleep, but I do, and driver flex along with the cables and with the way you press your head against your pillow, maybe any IEM would not be comfortable.

Thanks so much Dobrescu. Glad you got my intention - I think I meant the 'inner' part of the Outer ear, my bad.

I was hoping to use them to block out a bit of noise in the evening - with a chance they might be left in while sleeping. Now that I've read your reply I've figured maybe I won't risk it. I haven't found a comfortable enough IEM for sleeping (on the side) either, including Shure 425 which go deeper though. I would ideally listen to the music of silence at night though - no IEMs needed :)

Appreciate your reply :beerchug:

May 18, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #947 of 2,934
Thanks so much Dobrescu. Glad you got my intention - I think I meant the 'inner' part of the Outer ear, my bad.

I was hoping to use them to block out a bit of noise in the evening - with a chance they might be left in while sleeping. Now that I've read your reply I've figured maybe I won't risk it. I haven't found a comfortable enough IEM for sleeping (on the side) either, including Shure 425 which go deeper though. I would ideally listen to the music of silence at night though - no IEMs needed :)

Appreciate your reply :beerchug:

No worries, I am trying my best to help :)

For blocking out noise, there are foam noise blockers, but then again, sleeping with them can still be dangerous, it increases wax in your ear, I have a friend who needed his ears cleaned by a pro because he used those a lot. No other issues, and I'm sure they are cheaper, less dangerous, and more comfortable to sleep with than any IEM.

May 18, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #948 of 2,934
It can sound weird, but there is anyone who get shocks with the Xelento? In the metal part that touches inside the ears.
I had/have the same problem with the Beyerdynamic T8iE, so I bought the Xelento, because I thought the problem would be with the T8iE, and when I get it... same problem.
It only happens when I use connected to my notebooks (I have 5, all new/less than one year of use). If I use a DAC connected to the notebook, too.

May 18, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #949 of 2,934
It can sound weird, but there is anyone who get shocks with the Xelento? In the metal part that touches inside the ears.
I had/have the same problem with the Beyerdynamic T8iE, so I bought the Xelento, because I thought the problem would be with the T8iE, and when I get it... same problem.
It only happens when I use connected to my notebooks (I have 5, all new/less than one year of use). If I use a DAC connected to the notebook, too.

Nope, and it sounds really strange.

I would suspect that it is touching a sensitive nerve in your ear more than anything else, because if there was an overcharge of any kind it would most probably be noticeable in what yu hear, or burn the drivers before you could feel the voltage current :)

May 18, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #950 of 2,934
Nope, and it sounds really strange.

I would suspect that it is touching a sensitive nerve in your ear more than anything else, because if there was an overcharge of any kind it would most probably be noticeable in what yu hear, or burn the drivers before you could feel the voltage current :)

Yes, it's extremely weird. And the worse part is that I love the sound of this earphones really too much. Almost everything that I hear, it's not pleasant as it is with the Xelento. And I have serious problems with fit. Everything fits bad, or give me headache, or keep annoying me.

Sometimes I can hear a noise like hmmmmmmmmmm, I think it's something about electricity, static, I don't know exactly what is it.
But this is the third Beyerdynamic with this problem. I had other T8iE (the first one was changed because of a problem).

I don't know what to do. Just give up?

May 18, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #951 of 2,934
Yes, it's extremely weird. And the worse part is that I love the sound of this earphones really too much. Almost everything that I hear, it's not pleasant as it is with the Xelento. And I have serious problems with fit. Everything fits bad, or give me headache, or keep annoying me.

Sometimes I can hear a noise like hmmmmmmmmmm, I think it's something about electricity, static, I don't know exactly what is it.
But this is the third Beyerdynamic with this problem. I had other T8iE (the first one was changed because of a problem).

Use a different DAC or AMP. Even a very affordable FiiO Q5 will sound worlds better than any notebook or PC on-board audio :)

iFi also makes some awesome DAC/AMPs that should make your world much better, all while fixing all issues you are experimenting .

May 18, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #952 of 2,934
Use a different DAC or AMP. Even a very affordable FiiO Q5 will sound worlds better than any notebook or PC on-board audio :)

iFi also makes some awesome DAC/AMPs that should make your world much better, all while fixing all issues you are experimenting .

I have DACs, Oppo HA-2, Cozoy REI, Chord Mojo, Resonessence Herus... But it happens the same thing with all.

May 18, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #953 of 2,934
I have DACs, Oppo HA-2, Cozoy REI, Chord Mojo, Resonessence Herus... But it happens the same thing with all.

I do not know what to advice in this situation...

I haven't experienced this and haven't heard of it before, and it is unlikely that you got two pairs that are with issues...

You might want to get a checkup for your ears, you could have a hotspot somewhere in your ear that causes pain with IEMs, which can feel in many ways. I can recommend some good large headphones instead of in-ears, if this is the case

May 18, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #954 of 2,934
I do not know what to advice in this situation...

I haven't experienced this and haven't heard of it before, and it is unlikely that you got two pairs that are with issues...

You might want to get a checkup for your ears, you could have a hotspot somewhere in your ear that causes pain with IEMs, which can feel in many ways. I can recommend some good large headphones instead of in-ears, if this is the case

Yes, that's why I never posted this here, because it's something bizarre hahahahaha.

I tried big headphones, not my thing. They annoy me more than those big earphones from JH.

May 18, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #955 of 2,934
I haven't had this problem before, I'm the type of person that get electric/static shock all the time, in my office, and anywhere that I touch metal (many times), and the current runs up my arm, sometimes it goes numb for a few seconds.

May 18, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #956 of 2,934
Sorry to hear about that @Trager - I remember you and I picked up our Xelentos at almost the same time. Mine are still ok, but have only been dropped lightly onto soft surfaces :wink: Are yours still under warranty? I went on Beyers' NA website to try and see what the warranty was, and I don't even see the Xelentos listed. Anybody know what the warranty is on these?

Update: just received my RMA replacement — a brand new set of Xelento Remote, even though I sent in just bare headphones and the remote cable. Fantastic customer service from Beyerdynamic, I couldn’t be happier. Especially since I only got the originals in the mail a few days ago.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #957 of 2,934

I faced the same problem when connecting my Xelento to iFi black label which is then connected to my notebook which is plugged to the wall socket and charging continuously. I got a shocked of my life and the pain in the ears were seriously...painful. Pardon my lack of vocab. lol...

The problem apparently is due to grounding issue with the Lenovo notebook which is full metal casing. When I plug out the power adapter from the wall socket, there is no more electric shock.

May 21, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #958 of 2,934

Both Xelento and T8iE are metal therefore the static electric passes through. This is unavoidable. The IEMs are not the issue. The issue has got to do with your notebooks' grounding. Are they connected to the wall socket when you get the shock? The issue is made worst if your notebooks are metal casing. In my case, after much research I learned that most lenovo notebooks are poorly built with no grounding whatsoever and resulted in the electrical shock.

I checked with the retail shop where I bought the Ifi DAC for fear that using the DAC with the notebook continuously would damage my beloved DAC and was introduced to some accessories from ifi which claim to be able to fix the grounding issue. You might wanna check it out. I've not yet bought them myself and couldn't tell you which one works at this point in time. Due to my hectic work schedule haven't found time to dig deeper into this subject unfortunately.

May 24, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #959 of 2,934
Something strange happened today.Was listening to to the xelentos connected to the dragonfly black and pioneer xdp100r.While i was walking,it suddenly came and loud bang on the left earpiece.And the sound disapeared from the left one.It only came sound from the right one.Took out the plug from the dargonfly and connected it again,and the sound came back to normal on the left one.Anyone else experienced this? I was for one second afraid that my left one had died.And it was not an pleasure experience for my ear either :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #960 of 2,934
Something strange happened today.Was listening to to the xelentos connected to the dragonfly black and pioneer xdp100r.While i was walking,it suddenly came and loud bang on the left earpiece.And the sound disapeared from the left one.It only came sound from the right one.Took out the plug from the dargonfly and connected it again,and the sound came back to normal on the left one.Anyone else experienced this? I was for one second afraid that my left one had died.And it was not an pleasure experience for my ear either :frowning2:
From your description, it sounds like the problem lies with the DFB or Pioneer DAP. In my experience, these USB handshakes can be temperamental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back