Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jun 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #993 of 2,944
Not sure if this was answered already but how does this compare to the CA Andromedas? Assume they're priced the same and we just go strictly by sound, build quality, and ergonomics.
Nice user name :)

To me, the Andromeda have great treble extension, but too much mid-bass and horrible ergonomics. But everybody's different and I guess a lot of people like them, because it's always the most-requested comparison. There's a frequency-response comparison of the two in my review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #994 of 2,944
Any Xelento owners here who live in the SF Bay Area? I want to test and compare since I might've just damaged mine and I want to be certain it's not just psychological. I was trying a friend's Dragonfly Red and I always start at low volume whenever I try new things, but for some reason when I played the music it went MAX volume and possibly damaging my IEM.

EDIT: I'll treat food for up to $20.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #995 of 2,944
Any Xelento owners here who live in the SF Bay Area? I want to test and compare since I might've just damaged mine and I want to be certain it's not just psychological. I was trying a friend's Dragonfly Red and I always start at low volume whenever I try new things, but for some reason when I played the music it went MAX volume and possibly damaging my IEM.

If you own the Xelento, and used it for a period of time, you should be able to distinguish is it's normal or not.

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #996 of 2,944

Make sure your connectors are still good. I would deoxit those mmcx plugs and sockets (or do that little trick where you file down a tiny fraction of the plug lip to stop it swiveling). A loose connection could cause the problem and you might only have noticed it after your DFR episode.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #997 of 2,944
Checked the connections and they are fine. It's difficult to pinpoint what is off but my instinct tells me there's about 5% off in terms of overall quality. Lower end of the spectrum seems unaffected, but something sounds off with piano and strings.

I'm not knowledgeable with electric stuff. Would appreciate if someone can translate these specs. I'm checking whether the Xelento can handle the max output of the Dragonfly.

Dragonfly Red specs
Maximum output (re. 0dBFs into 47kohm) - 2.13V
Max. power output (re. 0dBFs into 25ohm) 50mW
Output Impedance (20Hz-20kHz) 0.3–0.5ohm

Xelento Specs
Nominal impedance . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 Ω
Nominal SPL. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110 dB SPL (1 mW / 500 Hz)
Nominal power handling capacity . . 100 mW
T.H.D.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . < 0.2%

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #998 of 2,944
Actually, now that I got to try my other headphones at home, I think my Xelento is fine. It could be my hearing that's off because I tried my other headphones and they all sound a bit off. The benchmark has always been that my Xelento is better than all of them and that still seems to be the case. I'm also in a super quiet environment now and I do notice feint but really high and sharp ringing on both my ears. I'll get off from music for a week and see if there's any improvement after. SIGH. I'd pick a broken IEM or headphone any day than a damaged hearing.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #999 of 2,944
Actually, now that I got to try my other headphones at home, I think my Xelento is fine. It could be my hearing that's off because I tried my other headphones and they all sound a bit off. The benchmark has always been that my Xelento is better than all of them and that still seems to be the case. I'm also in a super quiet environment now and I do notice feint but really high and sharp ringing on both my ears. I'll get off from music for a week and see if there's any improvement after. SIGH. I'd pick a broken IEM or headphone any day than a damaged hearing.
I guess the Xelentos were in your ears when the DFR jumped.to max output? At least you realized quickly. It's a good idea to give your ears a rest for a while. Hopefully the tinnitus is just temporary. Fingers crossed....

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #1,000 of 2,944
I guess the Xelentos were in your ears when the DFR jumped.to max output? At least you realized quickly. It's a good idea to give your ears a rest for a while. Hopefully the tinnitus is just temporary. Fingers crossed....

I hope so too! They were in my ears when it happened :frowning2: Even if it was just split second. I wonder if the volume mess up was hardware or software. I plugged the DFR, set it super low on windows, then it went max on Tidal when I hit the play. I'm guessing it's software because of the "exclusive control of device" setting. Anyhow, lesson learned -- dont plug in anything until after I hit play and set all volumes super low. I also usually dont put anything on my ear but I was confident that time that I had set the volume really low. GAH.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,001 of 2,944
Took a break from listening to music yesterday. That was quite difficult and I didnt realize how much I've integrated listening to a lot of my daily activities. My hearing has gotten better today. Definitely better compared to that moment after my Xelento went full blast. I think my Xelentos also sound fine. Can enjoy listening again. *PHEW*

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,002 of 2,944
Recovering health issue, I took a walk w AKT8 ie yesterday and marvel at the sound.

Has anyone done a scientific comparison between Xelento and the AK version made by Beyerdynamic?

The one massive Xelento review here at head-fi is the finest review/comparison I’ve ever read here.

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,003 of 2,944
Curious if any fellow X owners find it something of a challenge to wear the cables over the ears without them slipping off? Or maybe I just have them orientated wrong? I so want them to just fit and stay put because the sound is sublime.

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #1,004 of 2,944
Curious if any fellow X owners find it something of a challenge to wear the cables over the ears without them slipping off? Or maybe I just have them orientated wrong? I so want them to just fit and stay put because the sound is sublime.

I'm having no issues at all with the cables, they stay really well on my ears. Curious what you could be doing differently to get cable issues (?)

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,005 of 2,944
No problem here, if you do want to, you can find ear hooks, they are available from amazon or ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back