Beyerdynamic Xelento!
May 25, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #961 of 2,937
Just for fun, I added a few more measurements to my review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

The new additions are for the Simgot EN700Pro using both sets of stock tips (as these make a difference to the treble) and the Rose Mini 4.
These are both outstanding IEMs. 1) The EN700Pro - nobody, not even Etymotic, has ever made an IEM with a frequency response this linear; it has almost no peaks or throughs. These are unbelievable value for $149. 2) I'm a huge fan of miniaturization and the Rose Mini 4 wins the prize for the smallest IEM I've ever seen. It's barely the size of an eartip - with great isolation and comfort as a result. Its high-frequency extends like an electrostat (I wonder if they had special miniaturized armatures made for this thing?) and its low-frequency extension is also superior to larger quad-armature IEMs, like the UE 900(s) and Brainwavz B400.

So, do either of these beat the Xelento for sound quality? To my ears, not quite :wink: But they're both much less expensive and the Mini 4 is far better for fit, isolation and comfort.

May 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #962 of 2,937
Any news on the Xelento Wireless? Have they been released anywhere yet?

I've been vacillating between buying the Andromeda or Xelento for a while, but the Wireless model would tip the balance. But darn, the wait has been killing me. I know Beyer claims they'll sell the wireless cable separately (and thus I could buy the Xelento now and the wireless cable later), but'll I'll believe it when I see it; Beyer's not the best at selling cables & accessories.

On another note, it's odd that there are so few US dealers that sell the Xelento. They seem to have limited distribution of them compared to their other products.

P.S. I currently use the SE846 as my primary IEMs but I've been getting kinda bored of their sound and want to try something different.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #965 of 2,937

I've been vacillating between buying the Andromeda or Xelento for a while, but the Wireless model would tip the balance. But darn, the wait has been killing me. I know Beyer claims they'll sell the wireless cable separately (and thus I could buy the Xelento now and the wireless cable later), but'll I'll believe it when I see it; Beyer's not the best at selling cables & accessories.

Unless you REALLY want beyers BT cable, you could buy a third party one like this

MEE audio BTX1 Bluetooth Wireless Universal MMCX Adapter Cable with Microphone and Remote - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077N6DN41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eIsdBb7ABSYF3

While I’ve not used this particular item I often use the BT MMCX cable that came with my AKG N5005’s on my xelentos, works fine and sounds great.

May 29, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #966 of 2,937

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

The new additions are for the Simgot EN700Pro using both sets of stock tips (as these make a difference to the treble) and the Rose Mini 4.
These are both outstanding IEMs. 1) The EN700Pro - nobody, not even Etymotic, has ever made an IEM with a frequency response this linear; it has almost no peaks or throughs. These are unbelievable value for $149. 2) I'm a huge fan of miniaturization and the Rose Mini 4 wins the prize for the smallest IEM I've ever seen. It's barely the size of an eartip - with great isolation and comfort as a result. Its high-frequency extends like an electrostat (I wonder if they had special miniaturized armatures made for this thing?) and its low-frequency extension is also superior to larger quad-armature IEMs, like the UE 900(s) and Brainwavz B400.

So, do either of these beat the Xelento for sound quality? To my ears, not quite :wink: But they're both much less expensive and the Mini 4 is far better for fit, isolation and comfort.

Do you have the raw measurements that aren't DF-compensated, perchance?

May 29, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #967 of 2,937

I second your view of the Simgots. Incredible value.

May 29, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #968 of 2,937
Unless you REALLY want beyers BT cable, you could buy a third party one like this

MEE audio BTX1 Bluetooth Wireless Universal MMCX Adapter Cable with Microphone and Remote - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077N6DN41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eIsdBb7ABSYF3

While I’ve not used this particular item I often use the BT MMCX cable that came with my AKG N5005’s on my xelentos, works fine and sounds great.

Thanks for the advice, but my hope is the Beyer bluetooth cable will be better than the after-market options, which all seem to have mixed reviews. I'd be happy to pay more for a quality solution but most bluetooth MMCX cables seem to focus more on 'cost' than 'quality'.

May 29, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #969 of 2,937
Based on what we were told at the SoCal CanJam, it should be any day now...

Do you have the raw measurements that aren't DF-compensated, perchance?

Hi buddy - no problem. I'll pm you :)

Thanks for the advice, but my hope is the Beyer bluetooth cable will be better than the after-market options...

It is, based on my experience. Most existing BT receiver (Bluewave Get, A&K XB10, Westone's 78548) units have a lot of hiss and not-so-great sound quality. The Beyer unit did sound great (and measured almost identical to my wired pair of Xelentos). It also comes with an app (MIY) that lets you customize a personal listening profile for your ears. There might be one other gadget worth considering though, which is already available - this is the $99 Shanling M0. It's a tiny DAP, but it has two-way Bluetooth, so you can also use it as a receiver for your phone and basically use it to convert any wired headphone you have into a BT headphone.

May 30, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #971 of 2,937
I'm looking for a cable that is approximately 7 feet (1.8 m) long.

I searched this thread and couldn't find any suggestions.

Also, I have searched other sites, without much luck.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.
That is not a standard size, you have to go custom.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #973 of 2,937

I've been vacillating between buying the Andromeda or Xelento for a while, but the Wireless model would tip the balance.

P.S. I currently use the SE846 as my primary IEMs but I've been getting kinda bored of their sound and want to try something different.

I wanted to make a couple of suggestions here. The Xelento Wireless sounded good to me, but I've only heard them in a noisy CanJam environment. You might also want to seriously consider the Shanling M0 as a Bluetooth solution (it supports SBC, AAC, AptX and LDAC support is on the way). It's the only Bluetooth receiver I've heard that doesn't hiss at all - even with the most sensitive IEMs. And it's only $99. And it doesn't hurt that it's tiny and can also be used as a stand-alone hi-res DAP :)

If you're bored with your SE846, there's a much cheaper option to buying a new IEM. You should try the various filter mods, particularly the "trishd" mod with the FS tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

These mods can almost turn your SE846 into a Xelento :)

I can't recommend the Andromeda to anybody. Its sound isn't bad, but its ergonomics are unforgivably awful. Even if you can get them to fit and seal in your ear canal, you've got those sharp metal corners poking your ears the whole time. The Xelentos are sooooo much more comfortable than the Andromedas. You should definitely try to audition both if you still feel you have to upgrade, because the Andromeda could be an expensive mistake, IMHO.

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #974 of 2,937
I wanted to make a couple of suggestions here. The Xelento Wireless sounded good to me, but I've only heard them in a noisy CanJam environment. You might also want to seriously consider the Shanling M0 as a Bluetooth solution (it supports SBC, AAC, AptX and LDAC support is on the way). It's the only Bluetooth receiver I've heard that doesn't hiss at all - even with the most sensitive IEMs. And it's only $99. And it doesn't hurt that it's tiny and can also be used as a stand-alone hi-res DAP :)

If you're bored with your SE846, there's a much cheaper option to buying a new IEM. You should try the various filter mods, particularly the "trishd" mod with the FS tips:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

These mods can almost turn your SE846 into a Xelento :)

I can't recommend the Andromeda to anybody. Its sound isn't bad, but its ergonomics are unforgivably awful. Even if you can get them to fit and seal in your ear canal, you've got those sharp metal corners poking your ears the whole time. The Xelentos are sooooo much more comfortable than the Andromedas. You should definitely try to audition both if you still feel you have to upgrade, because the Andromeda could be an expensive mistake, IMHO.
I find the Andromedas very comfortable and to me they are more comfortable than the SE846s but the Xelento is in another level for a universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back