Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Oct 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,831 of 2,937
Second spoiler link in the post below:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-socal-2019-impressions-thread.909385/page-15#post-15027066

I wouldn't waste your money on a T9ie.

I’m surprised u find the mid is missing on the T9ie. I just recently tried a set of the new T9 and don’t find the mid insufficient. I have not listened to the Xelento before but I have the Meze Rai Penta which are strong mid-focused iems. In comparison, I find the T9 mid can match them; in fact they are even more full-bodied and warmer than even the Meze.

Just wondering if u audition a pre-production T9 or u didn’t get a good seal or was listening in a not so ideal environment?

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,832 of 2,937
I’m surprised u find the mid is missing on the T9ie. I just recently tried a set of the new T9 and don’t find the mid insufficient. I have not listened to the Xelento before but I have the Meze Rai Penta which are strong mid-focused iems. In comparison, I find the T9 mid can match them; in fact they are even more full-bodied and warmer than even the Meze.

Just wondering if u audition a pre-production T9 or u didn’t get a good seal or was listening in a not so ideal environment?
The T9ie and the Rai Pente have very different frequency responses. (Look toward the bottom of that link - the Rai Pente is there too.) I prefer the Xelento (by a wide margin) to both of these. But by all means, spend your own money however you see fit. Everybody hears things differently, so you might even prefer the T9ie to the Xelento, but why not at least compare the two first?

The T9ies I heard were not pre-production versions. I've been using the Xelentos for quite a while, and I understand the importance of good seal with any IEM. A 711 coupler measurement doesn't much care about a bit of background noise when you're driving the IEM at 94 dB.

Relative to the Xelento, the T9ie lacks sub-bass, doesn't have the mid-range bump that's needed to compensate for a sealed ear canal, and its treble rolls off sooner. IMHO, it's a cynical ploy by A&K to simply charge more money for an "improved" version of the Xelentos that actually isn't.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,833 of 2,937

Thanks sharing , actually I've tried T9ie too for few songs , but like to discussed more about it with you guys

I like T9ie sound too , the mid (vocal) rather thinner /tighter than some others IEM , eg. accoutune 1695Ti , ie800 , etc.

it give a very clean and accurate sound , which please me a lot , maybe a bit tired for prolonged listening as it tight things up , but the crispy sound lovely

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #1,834 of 2,937
The T9ie and the Rai Pente have very different frequency responses. (Look toward the bottom of that link - the Rai Pente is there too.) I prefer the Xelento (by a wide margin) to both of these. But by all means, spend your own money however you see fit. Everybody hears things differently, so you might even prefer the T9ie to the Xelento, but why not at least compare the two first?

The T9ies I heard were not pre-production versions. I've been using the Xelentos for quite a while, and I understand the importance of good seal with any IEM. A 711 coupler measurement doesn't much care about a bit of background noise when you're driving the IEM at 94 dB.

Relative to the Xelento, the T9ie lacks sub-bass, doesn't have the mid-range bump that's needed to compensate for a sealed ear canal, and its treble rolls off sooner. IMHO, it's a cynical ploy by A&K to simply charge more money for an "improved" version of the Xelentos that actually isn't.
Haha , thanks sharing again

everyone have own preference , for myself i quite enjoy T9ie , but sure it is not a Bassy and strong dynamic IEM

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,835 of 2,937
Thanks sharing , actually I've tried T9ie too for few songs , but like to discussed more about it with you guys

I like T9ie sound too , the mid (vocal) rather thinner /tighter than some others IEM , eg. accoutune 1695Ti , ie800 , etc.

it give a very clean and accurate sound , which please me a lot , maybe a bit tired for prolonged listening as it tight things up , but the crispy sound lovely
Frequency response is a useful guide, but everybody's ears are unique, and subtle differences in ear geometry, eartip type/size, etc., can cause significant differences in perceived FR. The only way to know for sure is to spend a reasonable amount of time with both IEMs (testing multiple types of eartip) and try for yourself.

That being said, we know that there is a frequency response (Harman target) that we shouldn't really stray too far from:
harman.png

We know that most people find the Harman target FR more natural sounding for IEMs, because it mimics the (unoccluded) ear canal resonance generated when we listen to normal, ambient sound. There's a good reason why most people don't like the tuning of the RHA CL2 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rha-cl2-tuning-preferences.894595/), because its mid-range boost goes way above the Harman target. The T9ie has the opposite problem - it goes almost as far below that target in the midrange. That's not to say you won't find vocal outliers - the RHA CL2 has a Jihadi-like devotion from some of the folks on the CL2 thread. Being outliers, they're obviously very excited having finally found a headphone that sounds great to them. But for the majority of people, you won't want to stray too far from the white curve above.

IMHO, purchasing a T9ie without ever having heard a Xelento would be like flushing $$$s down the toilet.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,836 of 2,937
Frequency response is a useful guide, but everybody's ears are unique, and subtle differences in ear geometry, eartip type/size, etc., can cause significant differences in perceived FR. The only way to know for sure is to spend a reasonable amount of time with both IEMs (testing multiple types of eartip) and try for yourself.

That being said, we know that there is a frequency response (Harman target) that we shouldn't really stray too far from:

We know that most people find the Harman target FR more natural sounding for IEMs, because it mimics the (unoccluded) ear canal resonance generated when we listen to normal, ambient sound. There's a good reason why most people don't like the tuning of the RHA CL2 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rha-cl2-tuning-preferences.894595/), because its mid-range boost goes way above the Harman target. The T9ie has the opposite problem - it goes almost as far below that target in the midrange. That's not to say you won't find vocal outliers - the RHA CL2 has a Jihadi-like devotion from some of the folks on the CL2 thread. Being outliers, they're obviously very excited having finally found a headphone that sounds great to them. But for the majority of people, you won't want to stray too far from the white curve above.

IMHO, purchasing a T9ie without ever having heard a Xelento would be like flushing $$$s down the toilet.
Really nicely said. thee will always be those outside the Bell Curve and the majority within. In the last year I've rotated through SE535, SE846, Tin P1, T3, oBravo Cupid, IE800, IMR R1 Zenith and others and can safely say I've landed on my favorites, the Xelentos. BTW if anyone is looking for a set, I still have a new set available. PM if interested.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,837 of 2,937
Really nicely said. thee will always be those outside the Bell Curve and the majority within. In the last year I've rotated through SE535, SE846, Tin P1, T3, oBravo Cupid, IE800, IMR R1 Zenith and others and can safely say I've landed on my favorites, the Xelentos. BTW if anyone is looking for a set, I still have a new set available. PM if interested.

Smoooooth

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,838 of 2,937

my point is not to compare the Xelento vs AK. Just to say the mid on the AK is not bad to my ears, despite what was said and what the graph shows otherwise.

As said, everyone listen differently and have personal preferences.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,842 of 2,937
Just compare Xelento with T9ie few days ago , here some of my impressions

Xelento with wilder sound stage , in both dimensions , T9ie tight things up and bring the sound more upfront , the difference is very obvious

this made the vocal lay back a bit in Xelento , and just the opposite in T9ie , T9ie with stronger punch and beat when listening pop/rock, Xelento may not suit pop songs most

but i do prefer Xelento a bit more , as T9ie sound stage too small for me , after an intense AB test :)

but before i leave the shop , the shop owner give me Legend X SE to try .....................earth breaking sound!! heartbreaking price XDDD

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,843 of 2,937
Just compare Xelento with T9ie few days ago , here some of my impressions

Xelento with wilder sound stage , in both dimensions , T9ie tight things up and bring the sound more upfront , the difference is very obvious

this made the vocal lay back a bit in Xelento , and just the opposite in T9ie , T9ie with stronger punch and beat when listening pop/rock, Xelento may not suit pop songs most

but i do prefer Xelento a bit more , as T9ie sound stage too small for me , after an intense AB test :)

but before i leave the shop , the shop owner give me Legend X SE to try .....................earth breaking sound!! heartbreaking price XDDD
I also like the Legend X. I think it's EE's best headphone. Which is curious, because the EE Wraith is 1) newer and 2) much more expensive and, to me, sounds very meh. It's another perfect example of newer and more expensive actually being a step backwards.

wraith.png

P.S. Personally, even if price were no object, I'd still take the Xelento over the Legend X. Xelento has the better, smaller, form factor and lower distortion.

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,844 of 2,937
I also like the Legend X. I think it's EE's best headphone. Which is curious, because the EE Wraith is 1) newer and 2) much more expensive and, to me, sounds very meh. It's another perfect example of newer and more expensive actually being a step backwards.

P.S. Personally, even if price were no object, I'd still take the Xelento over the Legend X. Xelento has the better, smaller, form factor and lower distortion.
I've really been enjoying this thread and find it validating. I too have been loving my Xelentos and they have been my go to's for a while now; getting all the ear time over the oBravo Cupids, Tin P1s and IE800s. I've got the IMR RAHs coming, the purchase of which was inspired by my fascination with the detail, clarity and resolution of the P1s planar - but they do need a lot of power to bring out the best of the bass. The Xelentos are not that far behind. still quite resolving, with great texture in the bass and mids, while being much easier to drive. For now they are my favs and I'm really glad I gave them a 2nd chance. Thanks @csglinux for helping me sort out the QC issue on my first set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back