Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Aug 7, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #3,601 of 3,971
Quote:
I wish I had known about the T5 before buying the t50p...

Quote:
Bummer, now you gave to get both and tell us what you think.

bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #3,603 of 3,971
Hi guys!

I just love my T1 every day more. And now with Concerto they sound even better. But i have one question. About cable. As i read somewhere the stock cable on the T1 is one of the best stock cables on any phone?
But i have question if changing cable would make big difference? I could change it myself because i know how to solder and i think i am good at it.
So i read 6moon review of T1. And they were recabled with ALO audio cable. So i am interested in this cable. But i am not really sure if they sell just cable.
It would be easier for me if cable would have already plug and be prepared only to solder on phones. Is this possilble. Do someone have experience on this?
Does ALO sell just cable for T1? As far i can see they sell only recabled T1.
Is there another option? In any case i would like to get prepared cable with plug already on it.

And the most important thing. Is difference BIG or is small. I mean i need your opinnion guys. Is it worth getting recable T1? Because if difference is not so big then i dont know... 

What do you think guys?

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #3,604 of 3,971
No there won´t be a big difference. Hopefully nobody will tell you so :). 6moons review is a bit in the blue. Hard to read they are more written to look fancy then be useful I feel.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #3,605 of 3,971
I'm with oqvist. Unless the original cable is really bad, assume that the law of dimishing marginal returns rules with recabling. Of course, with self-hypnosis, it can make a big difference. :)

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #3,606 of 3,971
Same here.  Zero interest in recabling the T1.  Costs a lot, marginal differences, risk of it being worse sounding not better, and actually reduces resale value.  The T1 cable is high quality (if not especially pretty to look at).

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #3,607 of 3,971
[size=12pt]Cooperpwx – recabling is powerful for application with serious amps (escpecially for balanced connection). As „higher“ quality amp you apply them more requestable is the change from stock cable. The cable is calculated to be the part of resulting price of the „box“ with headphones. There is often calculated 10-15 percents of resulting price, so in this order the producer delivers the best solution as possible. But this „limit“ is in many cases to so enough good value. But marketing is marketing. Only rare number of customers will purchase headphones with price 1,200 or 1,300 euro in case where the cable costs 500 or 600 euro etc. So the producers same as for high ends and super high ends, they must do some dicisions about compromise, because 900 euro and 15 percents is at about 130-140 euro for cable in practice. For three meters long cable, it gives you 30-40 euro per meter. This value is very small for „high quality“ cables. The pricetag is in common at about 250 euro. But, as I said, this value will highly overcost complete product, so we are in the beginning again. Stefan Audio Art produces excellent headphone cables for application with very serious amps. Perfect cables are produced by APureSound or Moon audio company too. When you are very extreme audiofile enthusiast and you want totally best from your headphones and chain, then here is very specialized producer who can create totally individual cable for headphone model to headphone model. But there the pricetag for one meter is 500 euro per meter and more. The reason why these „magic cables“ costs so enough is their geometry, construction method, wiring material, skining etc. That’s all.[/size]

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #3,608 of 3,971
[size=12pt]But recable in case when you want apply amps like Balancing act, B-52, RP 010B ..., the top quality amps. For standard „portable“ amps, standard single ended tubes or solids, the recabling is less important as Skylab said. The right decision is very difficult to do, but same as for loudspeakers, the cables are important for headphones too. But today, it is not the topic of the day.[/size]

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #3,609 of 3,971
While I love my T-1's, when used in comparison with other cans in it's class, the T-1's exhibit a serious roll-off on the highs.
Some say, "It's lack of coloration" but in my opinion, YMMV, the highs are definitely rolled off. Since the changeover to Huddler
my subscription to this thread got lost in the sauce.
Does anyone have graph comparing them to the 800's, LCD-2's and the HE-5LE's?

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #3,610 of 3,971
The T1 has a notable treble peak at 10kHz. This is enough higher than the HD800's peak, which is centered at 6KHz, that I find it much less objectionable. But if there is any treble rolloff in the T1' it is above 12KHz or so.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #3,611 of 3,971
So no recabling for me. 
biggrin.gif
I am pretty happy the way they sound so... No i am not gonna recable them. I guess its not worth it. Not worth risk.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #3,612 of 3,971

Quote:
While I love my T-1's, when used in comparison with other cans in it's class, the T-1's exhibit a serious roll-off on the highs.
Some say, "It's lack of coloration" but in my opinion, YMMV, the highs are definitely rolled off. Since the changeover to Huddler
my subscription to this thread got lost in the sauce.
Does anyone have graph comparing them to the 800's, LCD-2's and the HE-5LE's?

I do agree with your assessment of the (I would call) slight treble roll off of the T1s Aaron. And that still has me scratching my head on how one or two head-fiers have called them overly bright with treble that is too forward.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #3,613 of 3,971

Quote:
The T1 has a notable treble peak at 10kHz. This is enough higher than the HD800's peak, which is centered at 6KHz, that I find it much less objectionable. But if there is any treble rolloff in the T1' it is above 12KHz or so.

Between 12K and what I can still hear up to (perhaps 15-16K) is definitely what I'm talking about.

All headphones have their barriers and enablers, and I think that this roll-off is the only serious T-1 barrier. But I love the headphones so much, I can definitely (desert island,
one choice scenario) live with that shortfall. Their construction is excellent, and they meet the
needs of so many genres, that it's a small price to pay.
I've known Peter Carini for a little while (salesman in the NYC metro area) and he was nice enough to come to my NYC Spring meet with all of his wares and Chicago's Canjam, but today, while I was getting ready to go on a charter fishing boat in Freeport,  Long Island
this afternoon with my family, I was wearing my Chicago CanJam T-shirt, and another Beyer representative came up to me and asked me if I was Aaron from Head-Fi. A real co-incidence.
I invited him to the 2011 NYC Canjam and he seemed pretty excited.
I asked him (and his woman friend) if they ever heard of our unique Thunderpants, and
he never had. 
The things that we will do to headphones, no? I'm not sure if he was new, or was even in the sales division, but he never knew that the T-1's were $995 just a short time ago.
Nice people, though he was a true marketing personality.

@Macedonian Hero... forward treble? I just don't get it. Maybe there ears are in the wrong place on their heads (j/k, j/k) 
smile.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #3,614 of 3,971

Quote:
Some say, "It's lack of coloration" but in my opinion, YMMV, the highs are definitely rolled off.

I agree. There is light and clarity because of the 10Kh spike, but the extreme top really closes off all of a sudden, it lacks air.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #3,615 of 3,971

Quote:
Beagle said:
I agree. There is light and clarity because of the 10Kh spike, but the extreme top really closes off all of a sudden, it lacks air.

Give it more time, i promised T1 has rich Air after a period of time.

Its a suddenly burn-in change, and made me somehow confused. Just like a closed headphone transform a open headphone. Oh, I know T1 is "semi-open"  headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back