Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Aug 8, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #3,616 of 3,971

Quote:
While I love my T-1's, when used in comparison with other cans in it's class, the T-1's exhibit a serious roll-off on the highs.
Some say, "It's lack of coloration" but in my opinion, YMMV, the highs are definitely rolled off. Since the changeover to Huddler
my subscription to this thread got lost in the sauce.
Does anyone have graph comparing them to the 800's, LCD-2's and the HE-5LE's?

"Serious roll off" sounds like a pretty big problem.....  what headphones are you comparing the T-1s to?

IYO what headphones don't exhibit this roll off?

And, could you explain why some would say the roll off is a lack of coloration?

Thanx

Quote:
I do agree with your assessment of the (I would call) slight treble roll off of the T1s Aaron. And that still has me scratching my head on how one or two head-fiers have called them overly bright with treble that is too forward. 

I wouldn't say overly bright, but they sound bright to me, in the same way 880s do.

USG

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #3,618 of 3,971
I don't understand why people are so baffled at the fact that some find the T1s bright and others don't. Everyone has different sensitivity to different parts of the treble spectrum. Personally, I find the 10KHz peak more objectionable on Beyer headphones than the 6KHz peak present on the HD800. Others find the opposite. I've been to meets where headphones that were not bright to me at all were too forward and harsh for others (some couldn't stand them). For example, the DT990's treble fried my ears, while others enjoy their presentation.

(If anyone is wondering...my hearing is fine. I can still hear from 20Hz to 19000Hz. My listening volume is usually in the low 70dB range and almost never crosses 80dB. No tinnitus or other physiological issues. Healthy diet/active lifestyle.)

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #3,619 of 3,971
 Quote:

Give it more time, i promised T1 has rich Air after a period of time.

Its a suddenly burn-in change, and made me somehow confused. Just like a closed headphone transform a open headphone. Oh, I know T1 is "semi-open"  headphone.

donthuang, I believe this. I remember when my DT880/600s first arrived, listening was like crouching in a cardboard box. I was so disappointed. Then at some point they just opened up. It was a radical change. They continued to improve for a long time. I can't estimate at all precisely; it might have been as much as 300 hours until they truly stabilised into their final (and best) signature.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #3,620 of 3,971
Quote:

(If anyone is wondering...my hearing is fine. I can still hear from 20Hz to 19000Hz. My listening volume is usually in the low 70dB range and almost never crosses 80dB. No tinnitus or other physiological issues. Healthy diet/active lifestyle.)

And living in Toronto, you don't smoke because you pretty much can't. My home town too. Nice place. I left for cigar-friendly Shanghai.  
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #3,623 of 3,971
@cooperpwc, there is no option to see the phase shift graph on HeadRoom but when the phase plot changes the sign and the value by 180 degrees, this means you have resonance at that frequency. It might be rather of electrical than mechanical nature, as the mechanical resonance appears in the bass region. Inter-winding capacitances start to dominate over inductance of the coil. I hear this past 10kHz peak but it doesn't hurt me or bother at all. When it's around 7kHz, like in low-grade canalphones, I find it highly objectionable however I have never realized such thing in the HD800's. I find them having kind of sweet and dark midrange but just slightly and their trebles are well extended though uneven, with a mid-treble range dip IMHO. The T1's trebles are flatter, disregarding the 10kHz peak but not extremely extended at the upper end. The Sennheiser HD565 Ovation with a studio cable installed, kind of the one the T1's have, show broader treble extension and overall great quality of the highs.

Regarding the T1's cable - you already have what you'd call an upgrade when switching from a copper-lean stock cable with a molded jack which is worth a couple of $ for the whole assembly but with the Tesla T1 model this is not the case. Not to mention Black Dragon is nowhere better than the old style stock Grado cable - compared and confirmed. It's just different, more of a special effect kind of cable. Listening to the T1's clearly shows there are no shortcomings caused by the cable. And it's not true that you need a top class amp to hear this. When you replace a crappy cable, you will hear it even from a decent DAP and gain obvious improvement - confirmed with Creative Aurvana Live! (Denon AH-D1001 re-brand), Sennheiser HD600, HD650, HD565, HD25-1.

Balancing the T1 model is easy as hell. You just cut off the jack plug with spare 30cm of the cable, then install an XLR plug on each cable line. The cut off part with the XLR female plugs installed will work as the adapter.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #3,624 of 3,971
It all depend on the system the T1s are quite amp dependant after all. I don´t get much of a treble roll off and I can be allergic to such things. It´s noway near the treble roll of of the dx 1000 anyway. Certainly not on the Auditor and with the wrong adapters it´s actually really bright! I say wrong because I want bass and mid range too. Perhaps not SA5000 like but not that far behind.  I have read somewhere that some XLR adapters actually make you loose bass compared to RCA. I am not sure why this is though. But that was quite a difference between the adapters I had and my second cable.

But again no roll off on the Auditor. Nothing severr on my Trafomatic Head One though my Goldpoint make the T1 loose a bit of air sounding a bit closed. System can´t be neglected with headphones like this. They are as revealing as my Pro 900 :).

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #3,626 of 3,971
Take T1's graph for example

http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2033

Just change 2033 to 2031,  and set graph type = 0-9

HD800's freq response url is

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=863

Set it to

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=4&graphID[]=861

You would got HD800's phase angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back