Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Mar 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #2,521 of 3,971
Skylab,
I actually already re-terminate the T1 to balanced to use them with my RP010B but I am thinking in selling my RPX33-MkII and seriously considering the Phonitor based on SteveM324 experience with it. Hopefully I can audition it soon to make my decision.

Neptius,
I have been using the T1 and the RP010B for a week or so. They clearly got lauder with the extra power going balanced therefore they also got better control and clarity. The soundstage got expanded horizontally but vertically basically stay the same. The bass got tighter and deeper too.
I have not had the chance to sit down to compare the T1 in single ended against balanced both both the RP010B but I will try to do it this weekend.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 17, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2,522 of 3,971
Alright so this is the moment of truth for me I guess. I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to be buying T1s after I sell my D5000s now, but I'm wondering about amping.

Can anybody who has experience with SS amps around the level of C2 and T1s comment on how they perform together? The C2s perform comparably to, and better than in some cases, many amps I've heard in the $600-$800 range, so taking that into consideration should I be fine? I really don't want to drop $800 on a tube amp for them after I recently bought this.

EDIT: If it helps, here are the tech specs of the C2.

http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/pro/pre/C-2new/C-2-2.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,
I actually already re-terminate the T1 to balanced to use them with my RP010B but I am thinking in selling my RPX33-MkII and seriously considering the Phonitor based on SteveM324 experience with it. Hopefully I can audition it soon to make my decision.

Maybe you can audition it when you and SteveM compare cables?

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #2,523 of 3,971
I'm liking the T1 more and more now. I've continued to compare the T1 on my Zana Deux SE and Phonitor using my Rega Saturn as a source. I think both amps have their strengths. The Zana Deux is much more dynamic and open sounding, where as the Phonitor has a slightly more distant and laid back sound. Both amps sound great and one may have an edge over the other depending on the music being played. At first I did not like the T1 as much as the HD800 but now I prefer it. I think the 800 makes a bigger first impression but I think I may prefer the T1 in the long run especially on the Zana Deux.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #2,524 of 3,971
My only amp is a Zana Deux SE and I will buy either a T1 or HD800 as an upgrade to my HD650. If you could please elaborate, why do you *maybe* prefer the T1 over the HD800 on the Zana Deux SE? Thanks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm liking the T1 more and more now. I've continued to compare the T1 on my Zana Deux SE and Phonitor using my Rega Saturn as a source. I think both amps have their strengths. The Zana Deux is much more dynamic and open sounding, where as the Phonitor has a slightly more distant and laid back sound. Both amps sound great and one may have an edge over the other depending on the music being played. At first I did not like the T1 as much as the HD800 but now I prefer it. I think the 800 makes a bigger first impression but I think I may prefer the T1 in the long run especially on the Zana Deux.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2,526 of 3,971
dannie01 – I am interested too, so when somebody has experience, please elaborate about it.

musicman59 – When you will have experience about balanced version of T1, please give us info about connection with T1. What about the smoothness of presentation of T1 with RP 010B? What about the highs? How does this amp the detail or clarity extension?

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2,528 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you misunderstood me. At normal listening levels for me (I listen at a reasonable volume, not loud but not quiet, just in between) I have my volume dial at about 12 o'clock (half volume). I'm saying that with many headphones, my Grado HF-2s for example, I can easily drive them with the Compass to the point where it's unbearable to listen to (about 2 o'clock with the HF-2s), whereas with the D5000 I can put it to maximum volume and not have my ears shouting in pain.

The D5000s are quite a bit less sensitive than their impedance would suggest, but I have no doubt they are a LOT more sensitive than the T1s. Like I said though, the D5000s can be driven to reasonable levels easily by the Compass, and I'm sure the T1s could as well.

But the problem is, just because something is loud does not mean it sounds good. There are plenty of $20 amps that could drive my D5000s just as loud as my Compass, but it wouldn't sound nearly as good because the power, while enough to make them loud, is not enough to get the voice coil moving properly so that they will sound their best. That is the problem I think the Compass/FUN will have with the T1.

I'm sure they'd sound decent out of it, but they wouldn't be lightyears ahead of let's say a D5000 like they would on a high end amp. If you're not willing to spend a lot on an amp/DAC, there is no point in spending a lot on headphones IMO. "A lot" is a relative term, obviously, but in the case of the T1s where you're dropping $1000 on the headphones I'd say you should spend at least $800 if not at least $1000 on the amp and DAC together to get a reasonably decent sound out of them.

Rule of thumb: Spend at least as much on amp and source combined as you do on headphones, generally it's better to spend more with high end headphones.

I agree with you, though I haven't been able to try a setting like FUN/T1 and C-2/T1 to tell if the FUN would really be bottleneck to drive the T1 properly or not. All the statements you did pretty much make sense to me and reflect what I was supposing.
I emailed Kingwa to ask him what he thinks about FUN/T1, to gave him the last word thus letting me know if I'll buy another DAC/amp to fit with T1 when I'll buy it.
All this not changing the need to synergize amp/DAC/cans with high end stuff all together, but I must say I'm not able to have $2000 out of my wallet for now. Therefore I'd prefer upgrading progressively but I am very tempted to try the T1 first.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #2,529 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so this is the moment of truth for me I guess. I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to be buying T1s after I sell my D5000s now, but I'm wondering about amping.

Can anybody who has experience with SS amps around the level of C2 and T1s comment on how they perform together? The C2s perform comparably to, and better than in some cases, many amps I've heard in the $600-$800 range, so taking that into consideration should I be fine? I really don't want to drop $800 on a tube amp for them after I recently bought this.

EDIT: If it helps, here are the tech specs of the C2.

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Still hoping somebody can help me with this :|

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #2,530 of 3,971
I received a reply from Kingwa telling me that guessing by looking at the specs of the T1 and those of the FUN, the latter can drive the cans loud enough and may be enough for it. Plus knowing that the modules are replacable in the FUN and changing part of the amp section may be enough in the end, especially if he makes possible replacement of DA1852 by PCM1704UK, maybe the leap in performance and quality would be enough to drive the T1 properly regarding volume level and SQ.

To clarify the question even more I asked my question to Beyer also. Hoping they will provide me a very useful reply as they usually do.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2,531 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a reply from Kingwa telling me that guessing by looking at the specs of the T1 and those of the FUN, the latter can drive the cans loud enough and may be enough for it. Plus knowing that the modules are replacable in the FUN and changing part of the amp section may be enough in the end, especially if he makes possible replacement of DA1852 by PCM1704UK, maybe the leap in performance and quality would be enough to drive the T1 properly regarding volume level and SQ.

To clarify the question even more I asked my question to Beyer also. Hoping they will provide me a very useful reply as they usually do.

I don't think anybody was questioning the FUN's ability to power the T1s to a loud enough level, I said that it would without a doubt get them loud enough to listen to from the beginning. What people are questioning is whether or not it is able to PROPERLY DRIVE THEM. This does not just mean make them loud, it means providing sufficient voltage swing and power output to get the voice coil of the headphones moving properly.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #2,532 of 3,971
Yes I heard you about that, and I agree. No offence at all, that's exactly (your second point) what I asked to Kinwga and also Beyer. I'm more worried about enough sufficient power to get all the quality out of the T1 rather than just driving them loud enough to hear them at normal volumes. I just wanted to ask both what they think about the subject as they're the designers of both parts.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #2,533 of 3,971
BHas somebody experience about balanced version of T1 connected to some „good“ balanced amp? Which benefits this chain has in compare with single ended one? Has somebody tried T1 + WA 22? Thanks for impressions.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #2,534 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by neptius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BHas somebody experience about balanced version of T1 connected to some „good“ balanced amp? Which benefits this chain has in compare with single ended one? Has somebody tried T1 + WA 22? Thanks for impressions.

Send a PM to Seamaster, he has a WA22 and a T1
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #2,535 of 3,971
Yes, I wrote him. Naturally, it is always better to present powerful experience, enthusiasm, information or proposal about T1 here, to share with other audiophile enthusiasts. So when somebody you have good experience or info, you can present and we all we will discus about topics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back