Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Mar 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #2,477 of 3,971
T1 model is much better then Denon D-5000 in almost aspects, include bass. D-5000 are very over-bassed when T1 has excellent amount of bass, and the quality of bass is much much better. So for rock, hard rock or metal T1 are much better. The dynamics or detail, there are T1 much better. So T1 are super high end when D-5000 are lower class.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #2,478 of 3,971
I think it depends more on taste to say which one is better
wink.gif
. I still like my d7000 more than my t1 even though they may be superior technically.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #2,479 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any comparisons T1 vs. D5000?

The D7000 is competitive to the T1 (although I prefer the T1, I think the D7000 is very underrated). But the D5000 is a significant step below both, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question for fellow T1 owners. The little indentations on the sides for adjusting the fit, well, mine never stays in place and I'm constantly having to move it back to where I want it (5th indentation for my head). The adjustments feel "mushy" and there is no click or firm feel for feedback. Is this typical of Beyer headbands?

There isn't much of a click, but none of my half-dozen Beyers have an issue with holding the position. Actually with a couple of them I find that I have to use more force than I would like to get them to adjust.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2,480 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D7000 is competitive to the T1 (although I prefer the T1, I think the D7000 is very underrated). But the D5000 is a significant step below both, IMO.

Agreed completely!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #2,481 of 3,971
As I said about D-5000. D-7000 are sometimes underratted, it is true, because they are in some aspect specific. I prefer today T1 or HD 800 too, it depend which sound or music I prefer to listen. Beyer is more strategical, because is able produce complete series, open, semi-open, closed, analytical (professional) when Sennheiser is in this area limited, only open HD 800 model, or other HD 850 in the lights of HD 650 (musical). Beyer has wider range of products, so you never obtain closed version of HD 800 when closed T1 will be next year. This is Beyer's advantage in compare with Sennheiser, Denon or Grado.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2,482 of 3,971
Yeah, I tend to assume that d7000/d5000 have similar sound I really need to test a d5000
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #2,483 of 3,971
The advantage of closed version of T1 has one great advantage. In the shape of cup you can have „area“ for „painting“, for design or picture. In manufacture version, there is space for individual art. In semi-open version it is „dotted“ when in open version, it is different. So I think, when Beyer will release closed version of T1, several designers and design-projects will be started, because some „luxury-based“ people love have same design of things as their carpet, forniture, Versace, Valentino or Armani design, the picture of singer or movie star etc. So there is a space for „exclusive“ audio projects, someone purchase for example 100 models of T1 with exclusive design (for example Picture of signer, band, player ...), to box include CD (DVD, Blue Ray ....) with sign, and then there is exclusive product for „luxury“ people. Beyer is open to do these projects, when somebody is interested. This is only the mark, that the project of Tesla series is much open for customers as for example Grado models, is able do something similar for customers Grado?

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #2,487 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys what do you think about driving a T1 with an Audio-gd FUN for example?
I don't think its power would be bottleneck, but I was wondering about its value to fit with T1?

Considering that I can barely make my D5000s TOO loud with the Compass, and the FUNs amp is barely better, I don't think it'd power the T1s very well. You'd be able to power it to a decently loud level, but it would not drive them to anywhere near their potential (doesn't even reach the potential of D5000s).

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #2,488 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering that I can barely make my D5000s TOO loud with the Compass, and the FUNs amp is barely better, I don't think it'd power the T1s very well. You'd be able to power it to a decently loud level, but it would not drive them to anywhere near their potential (doesn't even reach the potential of D5000s).

There is to see if the T1 are really efficient or not, but as I read many people saying that they are easier to drive than the DT 880 250 Ohms, at least that they need less volume with the T1 on an amp compared to the DT 880 250, I thought it would be enough.

But I do not understand why with my DT 880 32 Ohms and 96 dB SPL I have them loud at half volume with the FUN, while you are neer the max with the Compass and the D5000 which has lower impedance and higher SPL. Can you confirm me that the D5000 are at 25 Ohms and 106 dB? If so, can't you drive them loud with the high gain mode at the back of the Compass?

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #2,489 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I do not understand why with my DT 880 32 Ohms and 96 dB SPL I have them loud at half volume with the FUN, while you are neer the max with the Compass and the D5000 which has lower impedance and higher SPL. Can you confirm me that the D5000 are at 25 Ohms and 106 dB? If so, can't you drive them loud with the high gain mode at the back of the Compass?

I think you misunderstood me. At normal listening levels for me (I listen at a reasonable volume, not loud but not quiet, just in between) I have my volume dial at about 12 o'clock (half volume). I'm saying that with many headphones, my Grado HF-2s for example, I can easily drive them with the Compass to the point where it's unbearable to listen to (about 2 o'clock with the HF-2s), whereas with the D5000 I can put it to maximum volume and not have my ears shouting in pain.

The D5000s are quite a bit less sensitive than their impedance would suggest, but I have no doubt they are a LOT more sensitive than the T1s. Like I said though, the D5000s can be driven to reasonable levels easily by the Compass, and I'm sure the T1s could as well.

But the problem is, just because something is loud does not mean it sounds good. There are plenty of $20 amps that could drive my D5000s just as loud as my Compass, but it wouldn't sound nearly as good because the power, while enough to make them loud, is not enough to get the voice coil moving properly so that they will sound their best. That is the problem I think the Compass/FUN will have with the T1.

I'm sure they'd sound decent out of it, but they wouldn't be lightyears ahead of let's say a D5000 like they would on a high end amp. If you're not willing to spend a lot on an amp/DAC, there is no point in spending a lot on headphones IMO. "A lot" is a relative term, obviously, but in the case of the T1s where you're dropping $1000 on the headphones I'd say you should spend at least $800 if not at least $1000 on the amp and DAC together to get a reasonably decent sound out of them.

Rule of thumb: Spend at least as much on amp and source combined as you do on headphones, generally it's better to spend more with high end headphones.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2,490 of 3,971
Not sure how easy the d5000 is to drive compared to the d7000 but the d7000 is quite a bit easier to drive than the t1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back