Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Aug 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #901 of 4,487
Hey migasson have you heard the Fostex TH-900? If so, for what listening did you find them most useful? I heard them on a Zana Deux SE and thought they were quite good at bass-centric music, such as found in trance and similar genres. They lacked the treble detail of the T90 but still maintained a reasonable clarity in the HF region.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #903 of 4,487
My T90's are finally shipping next week after two months of waiting, allegedly!  Decided to try the DT 880 600 ohm's to make sure I liked the feel and highs since they are half the price in Canada.

Set-Up: Denon 1713 Receiver with Apple Lossless Files.  Only used the DT 880's for around 20 hours 

I'm finding the DT 880's sibilance quite apparent with high notes, but, they are more detailed (though definitely bass light, though I did always find the D2000's bass overpowering) compared to my former D2000's which I also found to be obviously sibilant.  The high notes in Low Results by Faunts are quite sibilant (noticed it on many other tracks as well) on the 880's.  Also finding the bass to be slightly too light.

Maybe I should cancel my T90 order since I'm finding the 880's too sibilant?  

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #904 of 4,487
No need to cancel the order, just redirect it to me!
tongue_smile.gif
wink_face.gif
gs1000.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #905 of 4,487
Quote:
My T90's are finally shipping next week after two months of waiting, allegedly!  Decided to try the DT 880 600 ohm's to make sure I liked the feel and highs since they are half the price in Canada.

Set-Up: Denon 1713 Receiver with Apple Lossless Files.  Only used the DT 880's for around 20 hours 

I'm finding the DT 880's sibilance quite apparent with high notes, but, they are more detailed (though definitely bass light, though I did always find the D2000's bass overpowering) compared to my former D2000's which I also found to be obviously sibilant.  The high notes in Low Results by Faunts are quite sibilant (noticed it on many other tracks as well) on the 880's.  Also finding the bass to be slightly too light.

Maybe I should cancel my T90 order since I'm finding the 880's too sibilant?  

The T90 will have a peak in the same frequency region as the 880 but the T90 will also have a flatter response in the upper mid range. The T90 will also have a better bass and extended bass response in the low bass:

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #906 of 4,487
I dont find the T90s to be sibilant at all....listening to lots of pieces that they just handle wonderfully.

Female voices, Eva Cassidy, Loud Trumpets, really amazing how well they do work in this area.

A.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #907 of 4,487
Quote:
The T90 will have a peak in the same frequency region as the 880 but the T90 will also have a flatter response in the upper mid range. The T90 will also have a better bass and extended bass response in the low bass.

I've seen the graphs but have seen the many posts in here from people who found the T90's to be quite sibilant.  I think I am quite sensitive to it, but I don't find the 880's highs too harsh, yet.

Vocals are definitely amazing...Faunts Explain's vocals @340 are amazingly clear compared to my Kilpsch Image S4I's.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #908 of 4,487
Quote:
I've seen the graphs but have seen the many posts in here from people who found the T90's to be quite sibilant.  I think I am quite sensitive to it, but I don't find the 880's highs too harsh, yet.

Vocals are definitely amazing...Faunts Explain's vocals @340 are amazingly clear compared to my Kilpsch Image S4I's.

Only your own ears will tell you if the T90 will or won't work for you. For an explanation look back in this thread at post 579 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607079/beyerdynamic-t90-d/570

It is much like shoe size and preference.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #909 of 4,487
Finally got my T90! Have it setup with WA7. First impressions are that they are definitely trebly with sparkly highs. Also there is sibilance. It is not really noticeable at lower volumes, but definitely when you turn it up.

Comparing with my HD700 I found these differences:

Beyerdynamic T90 vs. Sennheiser HD700

- HD700 has warmer sound with deeper and more bass.
- T90 has more treble and is bright
- T90 has more forward vocals and mids
- Right now the vocals on the T90 are sibilant and not as smooth. I know my HD700 used to be sibilant, but it really became quite refined with burn-in. I'm hoping the same for the T90.
- The HD700 seem faster than the T90. I attribute this to be due to the the more apparent and refined bass on the HD700. It makes the bass of the T90 seem "bloated" in comparison. I use the term bloated very loosely in this context because it is not bloated at all, just not as apparent and smooth as the HD700.
- You can hear a lot of the background instruments like cymbals and snares better with the T90. It is more revealing. I think this is due to the T90 having more treble.
- The soundstage of the two are about the same, which is an improvement from the DT880 which I found lacking in this area. (Edit: The HD700 has a wider soundstage than the T90.)
- I would say the imaging on the T90 is better only because it is more revealing.
- The T90 has a more energetic signature, while the HD700 has a warmer and laid back signature.
- I find the HD700 more euphonic and less fatiguing and I can listen for long periods of time. The T90 does get fatiguing for me, especially on higher volumes due to the treble and sibilance in the vocals. On low to medium volume, it does not have this affect as much.
- The T90 with the Tesla technology is quite efficient, and at 250 ohms is louder than the 150 ohm HD700 at the same volume level.

For me right now I like the HD700 more, but that may be because I'm used to them. Also, the T90 is intended for work and cannot be played very loudly, so the sibilance should not be a big issue. I will have to do another assessment after the T90 has some burn-in. I recall my HD700 has a lot sibilance and peaky treble as well at first, you can read about that being the big weakness to the HD700. But after burn-in, the sibilance and harsh treble are completely gone. I find the HD700 to be a diamond in the rough because all of it's major complaints are non-existent after burn-in. I'm hoping the T90 is also a pair of headphones that can benefit the same way from burn-in.

Edit:
After a couple more hours of listening, I guess either through burn-in or just my ears getting used to it, the sibilance is pretty much gone :D. I definitely find the T90 to be clearer and more revealing than the HD700, however it is still harsher. At this point I find the T90 and HD700 to be almost opposite in sound. The T90 is bright and detailed in the background subtleties, and therefore very revealing. The HD700 is warm and has a very detailed bass. The bass actually seems to cover up some of the background sounds so it is less revealing than the T90. However, I find it easier and more pleasing to the ears. The T90 has a treble overtone and treble is emphasized and more forward, whereas the HD700 has a bass overtone which is more emphasized and brought out. It's pretty neat to have two headphones that are opposites of one another.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #911 of 4,487
I have had hd 800s for awhile, and have to agree. The 800s go deeper and louder. Very defined, but kind of dull sounding. I get bored with them after about on hour. Tha t90s are very crisp, and also defined in the upper regions. They are more euphoric which helps getting lost in the music. I will still grow tired of the sound, and switch to the 800s but only for a short while. I like the t 90s better.. before both, all I had was a grado 325..now THEY are harsh, and will hurt..the t90s to me are crisp, and smooth.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #912 of 4,487
After listening for a weekend, I can make a couple more observations.

First, I used EQ to help with the treble on the T90. They're much more pleasing to the ears and non-fatiguing now. I didn't adjust the EQ too much because I wanted to keep the sound signature intact. I use Poweramp and the EQ has 10 levels in each direction, which I'm assuming is in dB. I have 4kHz set to -1 dB, 8kHz and 16kHz to -2 dB, the rest flat. There are no other settings in between those frequencies so I'm assuming it levels the numbers in between evenly. Highest is 16kHz.

I'm beginning to really like the sound! It's very forward and has a lot of kick to it. Very detailed and engaging. It feels like you're in the front row of a small concert or in the recording studio. Comparatively, the HD700 makes you feel like you're in a stadium. I find the HD700 to have a wider soundstage. It has a more "high definition" feel to it even though I still find the T90 to be more revealing. The best analogy I can make is that the HD700 feels like you're watching a movie in an IMAX theater with surround sound and you can hear the clarity of a lot of the action effects, but the some the of dialog may be harder to hear at times, whereas the T90 you get a more intimate presentation like you're actually in the movie, but instead of the movie being an action movie like Transformers, it's more like a comedy movie that doesn't have those action sound effects. Also to further the analogy, the HD700 has a serious tone, where the T90 is more lighthearted.

Lol I hope that makes any sense. Because of this, I find the HD700 to be better with genres like classical or orchestral where you want that grandeur effect. The T90 would be better for rock where it sounds better in the front rows.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #913 of 4,487
After listening for a weekend, I can make a couple more observations.

First, I used EQ to help with the treble on the T90. They're much more pleasing to the ears and non-fatiguing now. I didn't adjust the EQ too much because I wanted to keep the sound signature intact. I use Poweramp and the EQ has 10 levels in each direction, which I'm assuming is in dB. I have 4kHz set to -1 dB, 8kHz and 16kHz to -2 dB, the rest flat. There are no other settings in between those frequencies so I'm assuming it levels the numbers in between evenly. Highest is 16kHz.

I'm beginning to really like the sound! It's very forward and has a lot of kick to it. Very detailed and engaging. It feels like you're in the front row of a small concert or in the recording studio. Comparatively, the HD700 makes you feel like you're in a stadium. I find the HD700 to have a wider soundstage. It has a more "high definition" feel to it even though I still find the T90 to be more revealing. The best analogy I can make is that the HD700 feels like you're watching a movie in an IMAX theater with surround sound and you can hear the clarity of a lot of the action effects, but the some the of dialog may be harder to hear at times, whereas the T90 you get a more intimate presentation like you're actually in the movie, but instead of the movie being an action movie like Transformers, it's more like a comedy movie that doesn't have those action sound effects. Also to further the analogy, the HD700 has a serious tone, where the T90 is more lighthearted.

Lol I hope that makes any sense. Because of this, I find the HD700 to be better with genres like classical or orchestral where you want that grandeur effect. The T90 would be better for rock where it sounds better in the front rows.

I have HD700 with stock cable and WA7 with EH tubes and have no problem enjoying rock and metal as well as jazz, acoustic and classical. And yes HD700 have wider soundstage when compared to HD650. I heard T90 briefly more than 4 months ago so can't comment

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #914 of 4,487
Quote:
I have HD700 with stock cable and WA7 with EH tubes and have no problem enjoying rock and metal as well as jazz, acoustic and classical. And yes HD700 have wider soundstage when compared to HD650. I heard T90 briefly more than 4 months ago so can't comment

Did you find the EH tubes to warmer than the Sovtek? I liked the sound of the EH better, but I found the midrange and vocals to be a bit recessed from the added warmth. It was especially apparent after listening to the T90. I actually did some EQ work to make it better (+2dB at 2kHz and +1dB at 4kHz).

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #915 of 4,487
Quote:

Did you find the EH tubes to warmer than the Sovtek? I liked the sound of the EH better, but I found the midrange and vocals to be a bit recessed from the added warmth. It was especially apparent after listening to the T90. I actually did some EQ work to make it better (+2dB at 2kHz and +1dB at 4kHz).

No I don't hear any recessed mids or vocals. Yes I do use Electri-Q EQ and same curve I created for HD650. But now I have HD700 because they have everything HD650 have but have wider soundstage which leads to better instrument separation plus better details retrieval and 3D image. I can easily visualize separate pieces of drumset being used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back