Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #316 of 4,487
Quote:

I definitely agree with your opinion on these, although I did have a few magical lost in the music moments.

For me, it is the price+sibilance that is the deciding factor in not keeping these vs. just the sibilance alone. If I am spending this much on headphones, I want to be able to really enjoy them on the majority of my music.  I just don't see these getting enough headtime to be worth it for me.

(By the way, just for reference:  My opinions of the T90 were formed while listening to lossless files of several genres via Wadia 121 DAC and Red Wine Audio Corvina amp. Just general listening.  No extensive burn in...but wish I had, just to see )

My opinions of this headphone may sound harsh (pun intended) but I really don't think they are bad.  However, and I agree with you, is that in this price range one should not have to make such compromises regarding harshness or sibilance.  Now, if the T90s were priced in the $300-ish range I might actually be inclined to be more forgiving.  

Also, I envy your setup.  If I had any reservations about my impressions of these headphones with my equipment before, I now know that it wasn't my gear.  

It really is a shame though, the detail with the T90s is extraordinary.  

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #317 of 4,487
Quote:

I use my T70's on my balanced Beta 22 and balanced M^3 they sound really good on both.  I also changed out the stock cable and now use a 8 strand copper cable.  this takes care of all the harshness.  So many migh like these better with tube amps or amp that's not so resolving.

I didn't like them as much on the GS-1, BHA-1, or the CK2111.

Iused them on both myDecware CSP2 and V200 when I had the Violectric same result. Not my cup of tea/ I prefer the 770- 600 ohm

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #318 of 4,487
Quote:
Iused them on both myDecware CSP2 and V200 when I had the Violectric same result. Not my cup of tea/ I prefer the 770- 600 ohm

Care to elaborate? How is the 770/600 better, in your opinion?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #319 of 4,487
Quote:
Not enough to be sure that it won't get better.  Only about 10-12 hours.

I had the DT990 previously, and sibilance did lesson somewhat over time with those (although it never disappeared).
I expect that the T90 would follow a similar path.

Make sure you have 100 hours before making final decision especially since T1 have problem

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #320 of 4,487
Quote:
Is the sibilance really that bad? I only demoed them a short while at the NY meet, but liked what I heard. Perhaps it was the set up they were on. Keep us updated guys. I'm really between this and the HE-500...

Though I might hold off on them and grab a pair of Mad Dogs, just because I don't have that much money to throw at headphones right now. 

I attended NY meet and heard T90 with 3 setups and heard no sibilance but had hard time deciding which one i like more T90 or my D7000. I also heard HE-500 with same setups and they didn't have enough bass for me but they had overpowering bass with HiFiMAN's setup. You should preorder and try Mad Dogs since they got some upgrades after Dan returned from the meet

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #321 of 4,487
Quote:
Make sure you have 100 hours before making final decision especially since T1 have problem

I'd like to...but my return window is closing.  And I am concerned about the resale value of the T90. They don't seem to be getting a whole lotta love. 

If they follow the same path as the DT990 I owned previously, they will get better with some more burn-in.  But not so dramatically as to change my overall opinion.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #323 of 4,487
I really do not understand what you are talking about (sibilance) with the t 90s. These are sharp as a japanese meat knife and I cant find this problem with my t 90 at all (apart from the recordings I already know sucks.. can you give me an example of where this is so easy to hear?). I assume you understand that you hear a lot more with these than .. dt770s and similar? I can hear sibilance from some mp3s/poor recordings and streaming, but not from the high quality files/cd-s/dvds/blu-rays etc that I know how sounds from before buying these..?  They are, both in low and high-end, VERY informative. Not always the best cans for spotify, but amazing with normally good recordings ?  How long have you played them and with what are you using them?

Comparing  (any) 770 with a Tesla beyer seems strange to me. But it is all a matter of taste offcoz, but they are different. Whatever suits you :) Enjoying your cans is offcoz the most important thing :) 

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #324 of 4,487
Yo Frank,

I don't agree with this at all. I found the T70 to be what you said the DT770 is. To me the DT770 sounds thinner and harsher and the vocals sounds recessed.

Quote:
More musicality and better highs and bass is much better. Vocals are also better. Just more balanced and better for musicality than the T7o.YOMV

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #325 of 4,487
Quote:
Yo Frank,

I don't agree with this at all. I found the T70 to be what you said the DT770 is. To me the DT770 sounds thinner and harsher and the vocals sounds recessed.

Yo ZOMBIE I said it was my opinion whether you agree  not is OK by me but in all honesty they sucked IMO YOPMV On a great system wioth the right tube amp and a top tier source the 770 600 ohm is the best closed can Beyer ever made. I hear no harshness and the vocals were  never recessed in my system. Glad you like the T70  but overpriced and  blah sounding. No life to my ears anyway. SO YO YOU ENJOY
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #326 of 4,487
Hi,

I know it was your opinion but I was just saying I didn't agree with it. Everyone has different tastes ad that's fine. The DT770 is a great headphone but I find the T70 to be much better. That's all. Oh and they are very overpriced but since mine was $299 new it isn't so bad. I would never pay full retail for them.

Quote:
Yo ZOMBIE I said it was my opinion whether you agree  not is OK by me but in all honesty they sucked IMO YOPMV On a great system wioth the right tube amp and a top tier source the 770 600 ohm is the best closed can Beyer ever made. I hear no harshness and the vocals were  never recessed in my system. Glad you like the T70  but overpriced and  blah sounding. No life to my ears anyway. SO YO YOU ENJOY
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #327 of 4,487
Quote:
Hi,

I know it was your opinion but I was just saying I didn't agree with it. Everyone has different tastes ad that's fine. The DT770 is a great headphone but I find the T70 to be much better. That's all. Oh and they are very overpriced but since mine was $299 new it isn't so bad. I would never pay full retail for them.

you paid too much
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #329 of 4,487
Yes. I found the mids somewhat recessed... just cause the treble steals the show.  But less recessed than the DT990 (from memory, not a direct comparison, so take that for what it is worth).

Glad to hear that you don't have issues with sibilance.  I really wish I didn't.  I may have to try them again someday.  They are beautiful, aren't they?

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #330 of 4,487
Have you tried pairing it with a tube amp to fix the issue with sibilance? I don't have such issue maybe because I pair it with Graham Slee Solo which is known to have a smooth, tube like sound.

Yep, they are beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back