Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jun 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #196 of 4,487
Quote:

speed & resolution of the T5p ? ALMOST

presence & realism of the T5p ? no, not at all - even the dt880 was better in presence and realism than the t90 (IMO a body/warmth/image density thing)

The DT880 was warmer than the T90?  God help us all.

I was always a fan of how Beyer presented bass in their cans.  I'm get disappointed when I read T70 reviews, and now these T90 impressions - they're such nice looking headphones, too.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #197 of 4,487
I loved the dt 770/880/990 series. Everything I've read about T70 and T90 just makes me sad

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #198 of 4,487
http://www.madooma.com/shopHP/neu_beyerdynamic/BEYERDYNAMIC_T_90_offener_Premium-Kopfhoerer_T90.html

in stock

(15 € shipping within EU, 25€ all Europe, 39€ world)

Other Links:

http://www.hifinesse.com/audio/kopfhoerer/beyerdynamic-t-90.html
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0087OXJ6S/ref=asc_df_B0087OXJ6S8210886?smid=A396D08HGR31AL&tag=geizhals10-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22530&creativeASIN=B0087OXJ6S

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #199 of 4,487
Quote:
The DT880 was warmer than the T90? God help us all. 

I'm no basshead, but come on. Why do they do it?

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #200 of 4,487
To me, it's the presence of the T5p which seperates it from the rest, including the T1.

The T5p has a lot of energy which the T1 seemed to lack (though I didn't amplify it correctly... just a portable DAP...)

The T70p was more 'shimmery', if you imagine a cymbal crash or vocal air, I suppose the T90 will be like that then.  The T5p is like a yakuza boss.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #201 of 4,487
Quote:
I loved the dt 770/880/990 series. Everything I've read about T70 and T90 just makes me sad

I feel the complete opposite way. Finally a high profiled brand makes bright sounding with high resolution. The T70 is one of the best sounding headphones on the market today to my ears. If the T90 is in the same tonality as the T70 it will be even better with an open back design. 

To my ears the LCD-2 / LCD-3 are the ones with the wrong tonality and the new Beyerdynamic "house-sound" is much more close to real world. I can not stand listening to LCD-X and HE-XXX headphones for much longer than a few minutes. They make me depressed by sounding so dark and heavy in comparison. So I could not applaud the new Beyerdynamic sound more!

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #202 of 4,487
Quote:

I feel the complete opposite way. Finally a high profiled brand makes bright sounding with high resolution. The T70 is one of the best sounding headphones on the market today to my ears. If the T90 is in the same tonality as the T70 it will be even better with an open back design. 

To my ears the LCD-2 / LCD-3 are the ones with the wrong tonality and the new Beyerdynamic "house-sound" is much more close to real world. I can not stand listening to LCD-X and HE-XXX headphones for much longer than a few minutes. They make me depressed by sounding so dark and heavy in comparison. So I could not applaud the new Beyerdynamic sound more!

Agreed, especially about the HE-XXX case...: )

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #203 of 4,487
Quote:
just wanted to share my impressions of the T90 - compared to HD600, t5p, t70, t70p, dt1350, dt880 250ohm

yesterday i visited a hifi shop in berlin / germany

the salesman said that the t90 was running in for 2 days.  gear:  mf m1 hpa (ss amp) + consonance cd player

the t90 had the same issues as all other tesla series - bright, empty body, unmusical, awful tonality - maybe a tubeamp would help

the t5p had the best definiton, transients, separation and a really nice kickdrum and overall tonality of the beyers
the t70p was really bright and lacking in the bass
the t70 bright but a nice midbass
the t90 almost had the speed/resolution of the t5p but lacked in definition, imaging, bright tonality and the bass weakest of all beyers. (maybe more burn in?)
the dt1350 was fast but lacked in prat and couldnt reach the performance of the larger beyers - would easily prefer my slower M50.
the dt880 was slower, had less resolution but had the best body and prat of the beyers with good tonality (actually all the tesla cans lacked in coherence, timing and body - no prat at all with those amps)

my stock hd600 was slower than the tesla beyers but it had the best prat of all (only with the m1 hpa. the lehmann rhinelander and mf v-can couldnt deliver the pace and timing of the m1 hpa) + great tonality, coherence and warmth / body. it easily was the most enjoyable of all.

sorry all beyrer fans but the t90 had really low bass level and an uncomfortable peak in the highs with the usual tesla tonality.

I guess 2 days of burn-in time is far from enough, as this was the case with my T5p, when I initially got my T5p, I was extremely disappointed, empty, harsh, overly bright, after about 3 weeks of 24*7 burn-in time, it improved a lot, almost a different phone.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #204 of 4,487
Quote:
I guess 2 days of burn-in time is far from enough, as this was the case with my T5p, when I initially got my T5p, I was extremely disappointed, empty, harsh, overly bright, after about 3 weeks of 24*7 burn-in time, it improved a lot, almost a different phone.

I had the same experience with T70 + getting used to the lesser bass impact makes some difference before you start to notice all the other qualities.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #205 of 4,487
My AD700 turned into a basshead monster after 3 years of burn in.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #207 of 4,487
I wouldn't say the tonality of Beyers' new line is wrong, rather that it's more for listeners that like a brighter more analytical sound signature.  For many like Rasmushorn, they find the darker, fuller tonality of Sennheiser's line(for example) undesirable.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #208 of 4,487
Quote:
I wouldn't say the tonality of Beyers' new line is wrong, rather that it's more for listeners that like a brighter more analytical sound signature.  For many like Rasmushorn, they find the darker, fuller tonality of Sennheiser's line(for example) undesirable.

Don't know if you were referring to my comments or someone else's, but I never said and don't personally think the new sound signature that we're hearing about in reviews and impressions is necessarily wrong - I'm personally just disappointed that they are apparently moving away from the sound found in the DT line.  The cans look amazing, I just wish sound matched my preferences.  From what I read, it doesn't.  My local hi-fi shop has yet to stock the new line as well, so I haven't had a chance to listen.
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #209 of 4,487
Quote:

Don't know if you were referring to my comments or someone else's, but I never said and don't personally think the new sound signature that we're hearing about in reviews and impressions is necessarily wrong - I'm personally just disappointed that they are apparently moving away from the sound found in the DT line.  The cans look amazing, I just wish sound matched my preferences.  From what I read, it doesn't.  My local hi-fi shop has yet to stock the new line as well, so I haven't had a chance to listen.
frown.gif

Oh, sorry.  My post wasn't directed at you, it was just a general response.  Personally, I prefer a fuller less treble focused sound.  So, none of the Beyers would probably work for me, but I would like to audition one someday in the near future.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #210 of 4,487
Yes - we do hear and value sounds differently - which is what makes this hobby interesting.
I used to only find what I was looking for in Grados - namely the SR325 - but Beyerdynamic has changed this since they started with the Tesla drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back