Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #4,022 of 4,487

this is dt880 comparison from headroom, they don't have t90 balanced measurements. the graph is just to show the use of balanced amplification will have effects on the sound sig. too bad more people don't have measurement rigs to show show effects of mods and other changes

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #4,023 of 4,487
Dec 5, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #4,024 of 4,487
More power doesn't necessarily mean an improvement....the load attached to the power source, in this case your headphones will only draw what it needs. If an amp single ended provides enough power to fully drive the transducers to their limits then more power will most likely not add anything that you can discern. Yes balanced amps tend to provide more available power but does it really provide differences you can hear....lots of debate there, much emotion etc...

The biggest thing that affects the sound is the positioning of the transducer in relation to your "ear"(s)....the size of the chamber around your ears, the materials used in the headphone cups, angles of mounting, open or closed back...these really affect the sound alot...more so than mucking around with cables, dacs and amps...

Most modern stuff is pretty well spec's and made, and are capable of wonderful sound...you dont have to spend zillions of bucks for grear sound with cans....but many of us do!! 

The T90's have hit these items mentioned very well in that they sound open and transparent, good stuff sounds good, natural, good timbre (ie stuff sounds like it does in the real world)...many other cans do as well but indeed sound different due to most of the reasons above. But crappy stuff sounds well crappy!!

Having gone thru many other headphones, some very expensive to me the T90 is just a great headphone at a fairly affordable price. 

Alex

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4,025 of 4,487
Thanks for the advice and input guys! But I can't help but be skeptical changing cables and wires could change a sound signature (the harsh treble) embedded so deeply into the T90.

That skepticism is your friend. You should listen to it. The fact is that the T90 is a very brightly tuned headphone, with an overemphasis on highs that makes it seem "detailed" when it's really just a decently resolving headphone with a messed up tonal signature. I owned the T90 and thought it was great, at first. I eventually tried an HD600/650, headphones that have wonderful tone, and realized that the T90 was nowhere near neutral and no amp/DAC could bring it anywhere near acceptable tuning.

I would recommend you cut your losses and find a headphone with a sound signature that suits you better. They are out there if you look.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #4,026 of 4,487
More power doesn't necessarily mean an improvement....the load attached to the power source, in this case your headphones will only draw what it needs. If an amp single ended provides enough power to fully drive the transducers to their limits then more power will most likely not add anything that you can discern. Yes balanced amps tend to provide more available power but does it really provide differences you can hear....lots of debate there, much emotion etc

yes there is a difference between sufficiently driven, and well driven, but you need to be listening to a headphone that responds to these differences to hear them.

If you want an alalogy, think of a Toyota and a Ferrari driving on city/highway roads. They can both get to 55mph, but the Ferrari will do it with more authority, more precision, etc. That's what having a decent amp with enough power is like.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #4,027 of 4,487
Your missing the point....a load will only draw the power needed....the supply is not pumping stuff out, the flow starts at the source and the load only uses what it needs....A thousand watt capable amp wont mean a world of difference if your load only requires 1 watt to drive them to full excursion....

The car analogy is just not apples to apples......

A.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #4,028 of 4,487
  Balanced output usually provides more power to the drivers, so it's going to be an improvement.

That's not quite correct. XLR output gives has usually boosted signal-strenght/gain, not power. That's two separate matters, but it can be perceived as more power. The reason for boosted signal is for compensating for longer distances and low energy devices such as microphones and guitars which XLR usually are meant for. Another thing is that most of the audioequipment in the hifi-world don't do complete balanced operation, but a hybrid solution or only half balanced. No point in balanced really if not both signal in and out is balanced.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #4,029 of 4,487
  That's not quite correct. XLR output gives has usually boosted signal-strenght/gain, not power. That's two separate matters, but it can be perceived as more power. The reason for boosted signal is for compensating for longer distances and low energy devices such as microphones and guitars which XLR usually are meant for. Another thing is that most of the audioequipment in the hifi-world don't do complete balanced operation, but a hybrid solution or only half balanced. No point in balanced really if not both signal in and out is balanced.

For instance, my Schiit Jotunheim provides more wattage/power through the balanced out.  That's what I was talking about.  

Balanced Headphone Output:

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel

Single-Ended Headphone Output:

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 350mW RMS per channel

Unless I'm mistaken most amps with a balanced and SE out, will provide more power to the balanced out.  I'm not sure of the technicalities here, but I have compared balanced and SE amp outs on several amps, and the balanced out always sounded "better" to me, and anyone else listening.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4,030 of 4,487

For instance, my Schiit Jotunheim provides more wattage/power through the balanced out.  That's what I was talking about.  

Balanced Headphone Output:

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel

Single-Ended Headphone Output:

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 350mW RMS per channel

Unless I'm mistaken most amps with a balanced and SE out, will provide more power to the balanced out.  I'm not sure of the technicalities here, but I have compared balanced and SE amp outs on several amps, and the balanced out always sounded "better" to me, and anyone else listening.

Yes a true balanced output from a balanced amp has up to 4x the power balanced vs single ended. However - not all amps are true balanced inside, some just have balanced connectors but are not balanced inside. Example: CEntrance Hifi-m8 - not a blanked amp but balanced output (purely convenience). The CEntrance Gloveaudio A1 is a true balanced DAC and Amp with balanced output.

The Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon is a true balanced amp that uses a phase splitter to create a balanced input from single ended (RCA) input and converts back to single ended. 

It's complicated but the power output from a balanced amp is always higher than single ended.

Balanced doesn't have to sound better - but the usual psychoacoustics is: louder is perceived as better. Properly volume matched there might not be a difference - but since you basically are only using half the amp - there might be....

I think the guys from Chord said it well (I am paraphrasing): If done right single ended can sound as good as balanced. But it's not easy.

Cheers.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #4,031 of 4,487
Yes, balanced is usually louder.  But comparing SE at similar volume levels there were things it did not do as well... like there was extra refinement, soundstage, and transient response was improved in the balanced out, and the physical size of instruments and voices seemed to enlarge, there was also greater focus.  These were subtle, but very obvious improvements.  I am specifically talking about Jotunheim, Ragnarok and Black Widow.  Other amps may be different, not sure.  Best thing to do is test it yourself, and see what suits you.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #4,032 of 4,487
  Yes, balanced is usually louder.  But comparing SE at similar volume levels there were things it did not do as well... like there was extra refinement, soundstage, and transient response was improved in the balanced out, and the physical size of instruments and voices seemed to enlarge, there was also greater focus.  These were subtle, but very obvious improvements.  I am specifically talking about Jotunheim, Ragnarok and Black Widow.  Other amps may be different, not sure.  Best thing to do is test it yourself, and see what suits you.

Yes - I agree with you. I heard the Rok and a few others and myself use balanced wherever I can for the same reason. Even mobile with my HM901, dual DACs, balanced amp card and balanced Silver Dragon cables to K10 and my CIEMs. However, technically balanced is not necessary to create a great amp with the same sound quality, soundstage and refinement, it is just much harder to achieve using single ended termination. Look at the Dave from Chord - crazy what's possible with single ended - done right.

Opposite example is my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon - its maker says: it was designed to be listened to via balanced outputs - it will sound its best balanced. So that of course makes sense, single ended is not the first priority, hence won't sound as good as balanced. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #4,034 of 4,487
These are a few of my spots

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/onsale#x
http://www.hdtracks.com/specially-priced-albums
http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/389/FLAC_Downloads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back