Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 24, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3,841 of 4,487
I don't believe that to be true actually, nor the "IMO, YMMV, etc. to everything audio related" approach in large. Of course there are diffrences with personal HRTF, subjective signature preference and equipment's sonic traits. But still some things are ought to be fundemantally objective like opening a port in an acoustic chamber is by definition done to increase bass body by augmenting the net bass response with the backwave output, then adding an absoprtive materail like dynamat is ought to do the opposite, to decrease non-fundamental harmonics which are additive to the initial bass response.  Please note that, to to best of my knowledge, all headphones modded with dynamat are of the closed back (Or "semi-closed" Denons), bass-heavy variety, which is supposedly consistent with the material's original use in car enclosures. The new beyer housesound is indeed made to address the more popular tuning of " the warmer the better" and it will be interesting to see if they have introduced some damping scheme with the Amiron. I bet it won't be based on dynamat thpugh. :wink: 

Anyway, I'm willing to other T90 owners some dynamat to conclude for themselves. If anyone's interested please contact by PM. Be warned, this thing does leave marks, unless you leave in a fridge (No offense meant to all very-northern-hemisphere residents :))
I dont believe any of his word. He said he feels that his modi multibit are 90% of Yggy ha ha :D

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,842 of 4,487

I don't believe that to be true actually, nor the "IMO, YMMV, etc. to everything audio related" approach in large. Of course there are diffrences with personal HRTF, subjective signature preference and equipment's sonic traits. But still some things are ought to be fundemantally objective like opening a port in an acoustic chamber is by definition done to increase bass body by augmenting the net bass response with the backwave output, then adding an absoprtive materail like dynamat is ought to do the opposite, to decrease non-fundamental harmonics which are additive to the initial bass response.  Please note that, to to best of my knowledge, all headphones modded with dynamat are of the closed back (Or "semi-closed" Denons), bass-heavy variety, which is supposedly consistent with the material's original use in car enclosures. The new beyer housesound is indeed made to address the more popular tuning of " the warmer the better" and it will be interesting to see if they have introduced some damping scheme with the Amiron. I bet it won't be based on dynamat thpugh. :wink: 

Anyway, I'm willing to other T90 owners some dynamat to conclude for themselves. If anyone's interested please contact by PM. Be warned, this thing does leave marks, unless you leave in a fridge (No offense meant to all very-northern-hemisphere residents :))

​It's interesting though how say the HD800 is either cold, sterile, boring with a lack of bass or bloated low end... or musical, fun and euphonic with plenty of textured bass depending on who you ask.  Or how the T1 is either exciting or boring, depending on who you ask.  Opinions are funny that way even in the face of "objective" measurements.

PS - the HD650 uses the pretty popular dynamat mod and its an open back headphone.  There may be others I'm not aware of.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #3,843 of 4,487
I dont believe any of his word. He said he feels that his modi multibit are 90% of Yggy ha ha
biggrin.gif

Yes, 90%.  Having heard both, I';m comfortable saying that.  Have you heard both?  I'm curious as to what you think the percentage is.  Mind you, I know breaking things down into percentages can be silly, but it's probably the best shorthand way of expressing opinions about audio.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3,844 of 4,487
I just bought a pair of T90s from Amazon without having heard them first. When I first listened to them they were painfully bright and with a complete absence of bass. I left them to burn in over night, and they're a bit better today - I forced myself to listen to them for a while, and they started to sound a little better. They're paired with a Mojo, and I'm mostly using Spotify premium, plus a bit of high res material. I wondered how long they take to burn in, and did it take others long to get used to them?

For reference, my other main headphones are Denon mm400, Fidelio X1, AKG K550.

-Mark.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #3,845 of 4,487
  I just bought a pair of T90s from Amazon without having heard them first. When I first listened to them they were painfully bright and with a complete absence of bass. I left them to burn in over night, and they're a bit better today - I forced myself to listen to them for a while, and they started to sound a little better. They're paired with a Mojo, and I'm mostly using Spotify premium, plus a bit of high res material. I wondered how long they take to burn in, and did it take others long to get used to them?

For reference, my other main headphones are Denon mm400, Fidelio X1, AKG K550.

-Mark.

T90 won't change, but you can get used to it.
The Fidelio X1 has a huge boost in the mid-bass, if you take it as reference then most neutralish open backs will sound bass light.

Give your brain some time to get used to the more neutral frequency response. Even then, quality recordings are a must for T90.
Fidelio X1 is much more forgiving.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #3,846 of 4,487
I can say that the T90's match well with my HP8 MK2. It is still treble forward but it's more refined and there is greater transparency. This amp brings out the midrange even more than my Valhalla and the bass goes deeper with very good impact. I can see why people like it with T1's and HD800's,

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,847 of 4,487
The T90 scales up nicely with better source and amp, which can help tame those highs. Higher resolution files also help.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #3,848 of 4,487
Hi Mark, T90's sound signature will not change, I am sorr but, it is a bright headphone. Pairing t90 with a tube or warming amplifier is only solution. Also, you might think upgrading it's cable with the copper one. Currently, I am using t90 with a modified la-figaro amplifier and plus-sound custom copper cable. By the way, changing the ear pads has also effect on sound. You could try brainwavz's angled or standart ear pads. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #3,849 of 4,487
I never found the T90 unpleasantly bright from the sources I tried but I currently have them hooked up to my Little Dot tube amp. The do have a mild high frequency emphasis but it sounded pretty balanced to me. But I'm also using them with different pads now which reduce the highs even more because of the increase distance from the ear to the driver.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #3,850 of 4,487
I have to say the extra treble really is working with my budget vinyl system(Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC and Schiit Mani). Wish You Were Here LP sounds very open and dynamic. Soundstage is very large and deep.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #3,851 of 4,487
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I have been burning in the T90s, but the sound hasn't changed appreciably. Sometimes I love them, with their amazing resolution and imaging, and even good bass with the right material. Sometimes however they're just too harsh. It seems like they aren't a good pairing for the mojo, which is also known for being very detailed.

I got a mild case of upgraditis, but it seems like I may have opened the Pandora's box of upgrades. Now I'm wondering whether to change the T90, or to change the Mojo - Or whether to stick a tube amp in the middle. I'm in the UK, so the choices of tube amp are a little different to in the US. Massdrop to have the Darkvoice at the moment, so that is quite tempting. The Little Dot MK2 is also available here, and is quite inexpensive. I just wonder if adding in one of these would smooth out the treble, but also negate many of the benefits of the T90 and mojo.

-Mark.

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #3,852 of 4,487
My honest opinion here after having T90's for a year+,hundreds of hours is that they dont really change much if at all.

With the wide range of material we all listen to and the variance in the quality of the recordings (mastering etc...) I can understand why people think that "sometimes they are too harsh"....IMO its most likely the recording you are listening to vs the headphones themselves.

If your in a band or at a live concert and are close to the brass, trumpets, and all those "brash" instruments in real life they sound hard, brittle, bright etc....so when a recording is done well your hearing a lot like what they really are in real life...

So many us want these songs etc to sound how we want, or all of then to sound about the same...mission impossible to me.

I have a dozen amps and if you want to "tame" the T90's down I would try a tube amp like the Bottlehead Crack or a Schitt Tube amp that is designed to work well with 250 ohm transducers. OR cheaper just change the tone controls down a bit to your liking...but be prepared to change them alot on different recordings..

Good luck..

Alex

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #3,853 of 4,487
  My T90's Jubilee had just been sent off for re-cabling at Forza Audioworks (http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36). The T90 will be re-cabled for balanced operation with mini XLRs installed on each ear cup for easy removal of cable. I'll keep you posted about our progress to balance the headphones!

Did you get them back yet? impressions?

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3,854 of 4,487
Did you get them back yet? impressions?

No, unfortunately not! Forza Audioworks confirmed having received them. They are in the works and I'm sure they'll soon be on the way back. You people will be the first to be notified and getting listening impressions! I'm anxiously waiting for them!
While waiting, has anyone seen/bought the Amiron Home?

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #3,855 of 4,487
  My honest opinion here after having T90's for a year+,hundreds of hours is that they dont really change much if at all.

With the wide range of material we all listen to and the variance in the quality of the recordings (mastering etc...) I can understand why people think that "sometimes they are too harsh"....IMO its most likely the recording you are listening to vs the headphones themselves.

If your in a band or at a live concert and are close to the brass, trumpets, and all those "brash" instruments in real life they sound hard, brittle, bright etc....so when a recording is done well your hearing a lot like what they really are in real life...

So many us want these songs etc to sound how we want, or all of then to sound about the same...mission impossible to me.

I have a dozen amps and if you want to "tame" the T90's down I would try a tube amp like the Bottlehead Crack or a Schitt Tube amp that is designed to work well with 250 ohm transducers. OR cheaper just change the tone controls down a bit to your liking...but be prepared to change them alot on different recordings..

Good luck..

Alex

Concerning the pairing of the T90 preferentially with tube amps, I went an almost crazy route. I searched for a long time for a totally quiet headphone amp, as my experience in this regard with the Woo WA6-SE was a bit disappointing. I finally decided to purchase HeadAmp's GSX-MK 2. For my set of headphones (HD800, T90 Jubilee, a few Grados) it sounded like an off-the-wall decision. My headphones were said to be bright, the HD800 with its dominant 6 kHz peak and the overly bright T90, and on top of it a solid state amp that is judged by many as leaning towards the bright side. All in all, a demented decision!

Long time listening experience with both, the HD800 and the T90, taught me a different lesson. The T90 doesn't come through as overly bright for most of the time, only particular instruments, like horns, can sometimes be a bit piercing, but they always are. Sit next to a big band with a hefty brass section and it will certainly pierce your ear drums! But the GSX-MK 2 exerts such a tight control over the T90, that the full dynamic range of a recording becomes evident. A truly amazing experience! Naturally, there is always the quality of the mastering process. Meagre mastering will show itself mercilessly in my audio chain. But when you listen to a well mastered record, the T90 is a bliss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back