Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #3,452 of 4,487
Neither the t90 nor the TH600 are accurate. If you wNt accurate. One is bass heavy and one is treble heavy. The Fostex also seems to extend much more with sub bass. If you wNt accurate, get a PMx2 or check out studio monitors.

I have both T90 and TH600. The T90 are more accurate. Depends on my mood and source, I use either one. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #3,454 of 4,487
Well I can absolutely agree about that. I think after owning Audeze LCD 2's , Grado's, AudioTechnica, Senns' etc...that the T90's for me are very accurate and very enjoyable.

I have a variety of amps and they all work with the T90s very well also...

Enjoy!
Alex

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #3,455 of 4,487
Hey Alex, what amps you used exactly with T90? Whitch sounds best and what is good budget option to amp T90? Maybe my ears just don't like T90 signature, it is powered by modded Creative ZxR, and can't really find exact power spec of it, but maybe it's a tad too week to power T90 correctly...

So time to time i start to look at amps and then i start to think it won't change anything.. T90 is... i don't know, gaming is very good, but music, i can not listen for it longer than 15 min :) 

Comfort is fine though, can game 4 hrs and i don't even remember i had any problems with comfort, maybe i just got used to it.

I also own DT250/250, but they are closed so not so much to compare.. But either all my sources is bad either i do not power them correctly, either Beyer is just not my signature, i can't enjoy music at the moment :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,456 of 4,487
  Hey Alex, what amps you used exactly with T90? Whitch sounds best and what is good budget option to amp T90? Maybe my ears just don't like T90 signature, it is powered by modded Creative ZxR, and can't really find exact power spec of it, but maybe it's a tad too week to power T90 correctly...

So time to time i start to look at amps and then i start to think it won't change anything.. T90 is... i don't know, gaming is very good, but music, i can not listen for it longer than 15 min :) 

Comfort is fine though, can game 4 hrs and i don't even remember i had any problems with comfort, maybe i just got used to it.

I also own DT250/250, but they are closed so not so much to compare.. But either all my sources is bad either i do not power them correctly, either Beyer is just not my signature, i can't enjoy music at the moment :frowning2:

The T90 (and T1.1) benefit from warmer amps, so tube amps (like the Crack) are generally recommended. If you can EQ, turn down the treble a bit, and the highs will not be such an issue. I use a crack. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3,457 of 4,487
Crack are bit out of my budget, outside of USA it is even more pricey, i just don't feel like spending another half of grand here :) Looking for alternatives.

EQuing.. feels not that right for 400 EUR headphones, but i'am doing it, time to time.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,458 of 4,487
Hey,

I have a Crack as well with the Speedball upgrade they are a good amp for these headphones.

I can understand being on a budget...I am retired and have to plan things out on a budget as well!!!

I would try a O2 amp and ODAC for $200 or so. I dont know if you have ever had the chance to try these?

I have two of them and they work well with the T90s's on a 2.5X gain setting...lots of power to make them play very well.

Also please be aware if you dont already realize this: The T90s are very accurate and musical very real and lifelike, not perfect but very very good for reproducing music that is well recorded and mastered.

If you play crap its going to sound like crap...many people think real good or high dollar headphones should make all music sound good.

Nada,,,aint going to happen.....lol

There is a lot of modern music that will never sound great just because how its recorded....

I would search out a well recorded and mastered set of songs and use them for your auditioning...

Just getting a dfifferent amp might not solve your issue.

Alex

Note I have several other amps, Schitt Asgard, Schitt Lyr, SOHOII, Crack, several vintage receivers, preamps....ODA and an inverting O2.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #3,459 of 4,487
Hi guys,

I just bought the LG V10 yesterday, mainly because of its audio chops that people have been talking about. And I have to say, I was surprised how well it worked with T90. Granted, I only have experience of pairing GO1000 with the T90. But it's astonishing that it sounds equal, if not better, than GO1000. And it has plenty of power to drive the T90, about the same as GO1000. Now my GO1000 feels redundant :frowning2: But at the same time it makes me really happy and hopeful where the audio quality of mobile phones will go from here. I was considering buying a dedicated DAP in the past, as my previous mobile phones had substandard audio quality - but not anymore :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #3,460 of 4,487
Quote surprise to know that a mobile phone can drive a 300ohm headphone well! You sure it won't be nicer if the T90 is to be drived by a proper DAC/Amp?

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #3,461 of 4,487
The V10 has ESS DAC/AMP chip (SABRE 9018 DAC coupled with a SABRE 9602 amplifier) that's apparently very good. There are a couple of threads on head-fi on it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785335/lg-v10-hi-fi-audio-quality-review-on-serious-audio-performance
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782706/lg-v10-new-ess-chipped-flagship-android-phone-from-lg

I spent half a day AB-ing the V10 with the GO1000 attached to my laptop. I was surprised as well. And it has plenty of power - almost at GO1000 level - it's enough to drive the T90 (250ohms) comfortably. I'm sure the higher-end dedicated DAC/Amp will sound better, but V10 equals GeekOut 1000 in sound quality.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #3,462 of 4,487
Anyone using these with an Oppo HA-2?

Looking for new full size and its between these (£335, or £270 on Amazon Warehouse), HD650 (£225), Philips X2 (£200), and Hifiman HE400i (£360). Upgrading from HD595, Amperiors and AKG551.

I generally use the HD595 for my late night listening, and am after something with more punch for (in order) rock, blues, soul, country, hip hop, drum and bass. I sometimes EQ in a gentle V and like a fun sound, but still appreciate a neutral sound. The Senns are nice and easy to listen too, but having had them for nearly 10 years I am after an upgrade.

Will also spend a lot of time using them for films, and a bit of (non competitive) gaming.

Won't be looking to upgrade the Oppo in a hurry though so they need to be drivable well from that. No point buying a new pair that won't partner well with my amp.

Anyone with similar tastes and setup, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #3,463 of 4,487
  Anyone using these with an Oppo HA-2?

Looking for new full size and its between these (£335, or £270 on Amazon Warehouse), HD650 (£225), Philips X2 (£200), and Hifiman HE400i (£360). Upgrading from HD595, Amperiors and AKG551.

I generally use the HD595 for my late night listening, and am after something with more punch for (in order) rock, blues, soul, country, hip hop, drum and bass. I sometimes EQ in a gentle V and like a fun sound, but still appreciate a neutral sound. The Senns are nice and easy to listen too, but having had them for nearly 10 years I am after an upgrade.

Will also spend a lot of time using them for films, and a bit of (non competitive) gaming.

Won't be looking to upgrade the Oppo in a hurry though so they need to be drivable well from that. No point buying a new pair that won't partner well with my amp.

Anyone with similar tastes and setup, I'd love to hear your opinions.

I have both T90 and HE400, HE400 destroys T90 in every category except comfort and looks, but you said HE400i and they got improved comfort.
HE400 is way more "fun" than T90, T90 is clinical, accurate and sharp. I "upraded" from HE400 to T90, when my HE400s broke. However I have now
sent them in for repair because I'm tired of the T90s.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,464 of 4,487
  I have both T90 and HE400, HE400 destroys T90 in every category except comfort and looks, but you said HE400i and they got improved comfort.
HE400 is way more "fun" than T90, T90 is clinical, accurate and sharp. I "upraded" from HE400 to T90, when my HE400s broke. However I have now

Destroys? Oh man, totally disagree...taste is a big factor but that's just not true! HE400 upper mids/lower treble sound super weird to me. The T90 isn't the most natural either, but it's more of an exciting enhancement on neutral, whereas the HE400 just sounds unnatural to my ears.

Also not as detailed as the T90 IMO; HE400 are a hair shy of HD650 detail levels IMO, which is definitely below T90.

It does have deeper, punchier bass, that's for sure, and is a bit closer to tonal neutrality overall, not as "fun" as the T90...but I would never take an HE400, or even HE500, over my T90 ^_^ and I can't see how the HE400 is as detailed as the T90...

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,465 of 4,487

Nah, I have them both and the T90 with a well paired amp has lovely bass, detailed treble and engaging mids. The 400 is no slouch at all. But doesn't get much headline. Also for gaming the soundstage and directional information you get from the T90 is way better than the HE-400. It's a fantastic can for gaming.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back