Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #3,421 of 4,487
  I also tried the Brainwavz Angled Velour Pads. They make the T90 way too warm sounding an really muffle the detail that makes this headphone so great in the first place

Really? I really like the angled velours - did you take out the mesh from the BW pads? I found that they muffled the sound considerably, and the overall sound definitely improved when I cut(/ripped) them out. I actually use them with the BW angled velours, sans mesh, and also without the foam driver covers that come preinstalled on the T90; YMMV.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,422 of 4,487

Really? I really like the angled velours - did you take out the mesh from the BW pads? I found that they muffled the sound considerably, and the overall sound definitely improved when I cut(/ripped) them out. I actually use them with the BW angled velours, sans mesh, and also without the foam driver covers that come preinstalled on the T90; YMMV.

I didn't remove the mesh no.

Do you have the angled memory foam ones I linked? or the other ones linked in the previous post?

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #3,423 of 4,487
  I didn't remove the mesh no.

Do you have the angled memory foam ones I linked? or the other ones linked in the previous post?

Neither; this is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGFVEUE

I actually own all 3, and the leathers too, but I use the angled ones^^^ for the T90; that said, the difference between the 3 velour versions is not huge (leathers tend to make the sound a bit over-warm for my taste).

I'd say the regular velours are actually best overall for the T90; the angled take a little more out of the upper mids, which normally bugs me, but I happen to use the T90 while I work, so I appreciate that the angled pads give a slightly less fatiguing sound. They still help tame the infamous T90 treble and make subbass noticeably more tactile without adding much warmth to the sound (once the mesh is cut out).

I use the hybrids on my DT770s and non-angled velours on my HD650.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #3,424 of 4,487

Neither; this is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGFVEUE

I actually own all 3, and the leathers too, but I use the angled ones^^^ for the T90; that said, the difference between the 3 velour versions is not huge (leathers tend to make the sound a bit over-warm for my taste).

I'd say the regular velours are actually best overall for the T90; the angled take a little more out of the upper mids, which normally bugs me, but I happen to use the T90 while I work, so I appreciate that the angled pads give a slightly less fatiguing sound. They still help tame the infamous T90 treble and make subbass noticeably more tactile without adding much warmth to the sound (once the mesh is cut out).

I use the hybrids on my DT770s and non-angled velours on my HD650.

yeah those are the same ones I have. when i click on your link Amazon tells me i purchased that item. i cut out the mesh and that definitely brought back some of the detail. gonna give them another whirl for the next day and see how it feels. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #3,425 of 4,487
  yeah those are the same ones I have. when i click on your link Amazon tells me i purchased that item. i cut out the mesh and that definitely brought back some of the detail. gonna give them another whirl for the next day and see how it feels. 

^_^

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #3,426 of 4,487

^_^

Well overall it's definitely better without the mesh. Detail comes back.

These pads definitely makes the mids more recessed like you said. It's the angle that does that. Watching Inception last night and listening to tunes, the voices sounded so far away. If I squished the thicker part of the pads closer to my ears, the voices got closer and more defined. So that angle is a big deal, just like insertion depth with IEM's. So I ordered the non-angled Brainwavz memory foam velours, should be getting here today. I think those might be the happy medium. With the angled though, EDM sounds pretty awesome. Just not the best for all other genres - classical seems just too far away for example. Same with simply the voices in a movie.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3,427 of 4,487
Pixel i have non-angled Brainwavz memory foam velours.
I believe mid recession comes from the sheer thickness of the pads (distance from ear)
I may have to try and cut the mesh on mine.

Stock is just unholy on my valhalla 2 amp with E188CC valvo tubes. Completely in love with this headphone 
beyersmile.png

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3,428 of 4,487
I got the Brainwavz HM5 velours, really quite like how they mix up the sound.
Much warmer and smooth, I cut the mesh on one side to see how it'd change, I'm not sure how much of a difference I'm hearing but I kinda like having one side meshed and the other side not so I'm leaving it as is for now haha.
I'll try swapping back to the stock pads at some point to see if I can pinpoint better the sound difference, because it feels like I am losing some of the detail.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,429 of 4,487
  Well overall it's definitely better without the mesh. Detail comes back.

These pads definitely makes the mids more recessed like you said. It's the angle that does that. Watching Inception last night and listening to tunes, the voices sounded so far away. If I squished the thicker part of the pads closer to my ears, the voices got closer and more defined. So that angle is a big deal, just like insertion depth with IEM's. So I ordered the non-angled Brainwavz memory foam velours, should be getting here today. I think those might be the happy medium. With the angled though, EDM sounds pretty awesome. Just not the best for all other genres - classical seems just too far away for example. Same with simply the voices in a movie.

Totally agree. I think the bass is best with angled velours, but mostly I use them to reduce midrange-related listening fatigue so I can work with them on for 12 hours and not feel ear-tired ^_^

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #3,430 of 4,487
I also changed the stock pads to Brainwavz HM5 velours (normal, not angled). First impression are quite positive. Definitely gonna stick with these for the time being
dt880smile.png

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,431 of 4,487
I just received my new T90 headphones from Amazon and have been listening to songs through Spotify and iTunes for about two hours. They sound great. The clarity and detail are fantastic.

However I noticed on a couple songs some strange sounding vibration/distortion/fluttering sounds coming from the right side. I'm a little concerned about it. It's not subtle but doesn't last the whole song.

For example, the song Someone New by Hozier really highlights that strange flutter vibration sound coming from the right side driver during the song. Whether streaming it at the highest quality through Spotify or listening to a 256 bit rate version of it through iTunes, that sound comes through loud and clear. Actually, it was even my more pronounced with iTunes. It also did this on a couple other songs I listened to as well. However, most songs, even with bass boost on for testing, didn't have any signs of this vibration/distortion. Like I said, the T90 sounds terrific otherwise.

I immediately tried comparing my other headphones with the T90 with that song and none of them have this characteristic. My other headphones are Sony MDR-Z7, Beyer DT 880 and Hifiman 400i. None of them gave this particular sound when playing that song. I'm not sure if the T90s are defective or if they are just resolving the music for a particular instrument that the other headphones aren't.

My brief listening period with the T90 involved using a new MacBook Air with a Fiio E12 amp. Then after noticing this sound, I hooked up the MacBook to my Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber. The vibration flutter sound is there no matter what.

What do you guys think?

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,432 of 4,487
I just received my new T90 headphones from Amazon and have been listening to songs through Spotify and iTunes for about two hours. They sound great. The clarity and detail are fantastic.

However I noticed on a couple songs some strange sounding vibration/distortion/fluttering sounds coming from the right side. I'm a little concerned about it. It's not subtle but doesn't last the whole song.

For example, the song Someone New by Hozier really highlights that strange flutter vibration sound coming from the right side driver during the song. Whether streaming it at the highest quality through Spotify or listening to a 256 bit rate version of it through iTunes, that sound comes through loud and clear. Actually, it was even my more pronounced with iTunes. It also did this on a couple other songs I listened to as well. However, most songs, even with bass boost on for testing, didn't have any signs of this vibration/distortion. Like I said, the T90 sounds terrific otherwise.

I immediately tried comparing my other headphones with the T90 with that song and none of them have this characteristic. My other headphones are Sony MDR-Z7, Beyer DT 880 and Hifiman 400i. None of them gave this particular sound when playing that song. I'm not sure if the T90s are defective or if they are just resolving the music for a particular instrument that the other headphones aren't.

My brief listening period with the T90 involved using a new MacBook Air with a Fiio E12 amp. Then after noticing this sound, I hooked up the MacBook to my Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber. The vibration flutter sound is there no matter what.

What do you guys think?

haven't heard anything like that on my pair in the couple weeks i've had them and used them a lot. doesn't sound normal. if other headphones aren't doing it, that noise does not sound normal at all IMO.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3,433 of 4,487
haven't heard anything like that on my pair in the couple weeks i've had them and used them a lot. doesn't sound normal. if other headphones aren't doing it, that noise does not sound normal at all IMO.

Thank you for responding PixelSquish. Yeah, I'm fairly new to this headphone hobby...and love it.... But I'm not very experienced with all the different nuances of sounds that headphones can make. But, like you said, if my other headphones aren't making that sound, I don't think it's right either.

I think I'm going to return them. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't have them anymore. I got them on sale for $499 but if I want to replace them through Amazon at that price I'll have to wait till March.

I really like Byerdynamics' sound and what I really wanted to get is the T1.2 but I didn't want to spend that kind of money. The T90 is now $599 so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and I think I'm going to increase my budget and get the T1 second-generation and be done with it. If I could get the T90 for $499 I would get them replaced by Amazon but in light of the circumstances and my really wanting the T1.2 anyway, I'll go for it.

What have I gotten myself into? I hope I'm done with headphone purchases for a while...this stuff can become addictive. :D

EDITED TO ADD:
I ordered the T1.2 from Amazon and set up a return for the T90.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #3,434 of 4,487
Since December the 23th, I am T 90-Owner too.

Bought at a local store for Music Equipment and 399 €.
The T 90 was in September 2012 one week here, when Beyerdynamic give out one early exemplar for test roundings to ca. 25 members of german hifi-forum.

Connected with my classic hifi sets will I write again in two or tree months over longterm experience with this configurations. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #3,435 of 4,487
 my t90 had exactly the same problem as you said except it was at left side. as you said it just happened at some songs for example the song "hello" from Adele. that time i drove them directly from fiio x3 2nd. So i returned them and got a new one. the second pair didnt have that problem at all. after 2 weeks i bought an a20 amp and surprisingly after that this problem occurred this time at the right side. i called the local distributor and they said they have run out of t90 but they offered me to change the right capsule of the first one with the right capsule of the second one. they said this problem may be due to capsule of the headphone. the interesting point is sometimes the sound is totally clean and sometimes this problem occurs. Im not sure what to do. plz keep me aware of what will u do to solve that problem tanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back