Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jul 30, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,136 of 4,487
  ok cool. maybe will get an tube amp like schiit VALHALLA 2.

Highly recommended for T90! Very intense and groovy! You get surrounded by huge, holographic images. 
Smooth and creamy yet very resolving. Glorious pairing!

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #3,138 of 4,487
The crack I have is dead silent. You can get tubes that are noisy for various reasons, ac hum, heaters, buzzing, wired low amplitude sounds... all normal with tubes especially in an OTL design...I let the amp warm up for 30 min or so, and things settle out and its dead quiet. Then the magic starts...

Alex

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #3,140 of 4,487
Completely silent, no unwanted noises :) 
You should definitely consider bottlehead crack, even used if possible! It gets nothing but great reviews.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #3,142 of 4,487
Guys, much does does the amp influence the sound of these phones?
I'm a little worried by mentions of how bright it can be.
Basically, I need to get new headphones to use during recording, so while I will use them for listening on occasion they will get the majority of their use out of various

I was planning on getting a Grado RS-2 or something... I had SR-225's and sold them to get something more neutral and detailed to use mostly out of a mixing console (Behringer X32) and on occasion out of various DACs. Don't have a dedicated headphone amp and am trying to avoid that in my studio setup. I love the KRK KNS 8400 I have now can be used easily with any of my audio interfaces or audio gear, and I know the Grado could do it just fine as well but the 225's were a bit colored for my liking while doing recording.

TL;DR Really tempted to get a set of T90 but worried they won't have a good place in my studio setup being powered directly out of my mixing console. i don't want to have to add a headphone amp to compensate for sensitive treble or things like that.

sorry for rambling... PS i would imagine with extremely sensitive headphones like this that any sort of electrical abnormality caused by tubes would be reproduced in cans like these! if you use a tube amp make sure everything is properly grounded and getting good clean power
L3000.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,144 of 4,487
  Guys, much does does the amp influence the sound of these phones?
I'm a little worried by mentions of how bright it can be.
Basically, I need to get new headphones to use during recording, so while I will use them for listening on occasion they will get the majority of their use out of various

I was planning on getting a Grado RS-2 or something... I had SR-225's and sold them to get something more neutral and detailed to use mostly out of a mixing console (Behringer X32) and on occasion out of various DACs. Don't have a dedicated headphone amp and am trying to avoid that in my studio setup. I love the KRK KNS 8400 I have now can be used easily with any of my audio interfaces or audio gear, and I know the Grado could do it just fine as well but the 225's were a bit colored for my liking while doing recording.

TL;DR Really tempted to get a set of T90 but worried they won't have a good place in my studio setup being powered directly out of my mixing console. i don't want to have to add a headphone amp to compensate for sensitive treble or things like that.

sorry for rambling... PS i would imagine with extremely sensitive headphones like this that any sort of electrical abnormality caused by tubes would be reproduced in cans like these! if you use a tube amp make sure everything is properly grounded and getting good clean power
L3000.gif

What interface are you using? Something like an Apogee Duet would pair really well with the T90, but they won't sound too fun on a cheap (sub-$400-ish) interface with a weak amp that's designed for DJ headphones.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,145 of 4,487
Thanks @Gilly87.
I have an EMU 0404, EMU 1616m and a Behringer X32 mixing console. Don't let the name fool you, the X32 is very serious business! I only know what my KRKs and old 225's sounded like through the X32 though.
I don't think any of them are geared towards crappier DJ headphones, but at the same time it's a different world from Hi Fi audio...

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #3,146 of 4,487
Do you know what DAC is in your X32? I'm pretty sure a performance-grade piece like that will have plenty of power for the T90, but I can't find anything on the DAC.

I'd guess the headphone out on your X32 might have a tiny bit of grain compared to a $1000+ audiophile rig, if only because the circuitry can't be *completely* discrete, given the hardware EQ, and it's just not a device that's designed to maximize the quality of headphone output, but as long as the DAC is solid, I'm sure T90s will sound great on it.

The other 2 interfaces are probably inferior quality as far as headphone output goes, given their price range. But I've been surprised before.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3,147 of 4,487
Just be careful about using the T90 for mixing, at least as long as you've got the stock pads on. They will make a great reference for a brighter sound, and will show up stuff like sibilance and harshness when it's there so you can eliminate it when necessary, but if you're doing your final mix with the T90 as a neutral reference, you're going to wind up with a muffled-sounding track.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #3,148 of 4,487
Hi everyone! I have a T90 connected to my Lehmann audio BCL USB with a denon dac300usb. I want to make an upgrade recently but i am not sure what to upgrade.

1) Should i upgrade my headphones to hd800?
2) Should i buy an additional headphone amplifier, Burson Soloist?
3) Should i purchase a power conditional the Isotek Polaris Evo3? Tried it before and it makes a difference to audio system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back