Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #2,911 of 4,487
I may have left a while back, but I am still curious about the T90's, especially since I can't find a place to demo them in my neck of the woods. However, I have not left a stone unturned and, as such, I will be demoing most of the HiFiMAN line and the Abyss in a few weeks from now. To dive into the heart of my question at hand, just how painfully sibilant is the T90 with the vocals in this song? I personally use it as a litmus test for treble brutality since it comes across as gritty and sharp even on some Sennheisers. Thank you, everyone!

http://media.sonicstadium.org/Music%20and%20Soundtracks/%5b2003%5d%20Sonic%20X%20-%20Sonic%20Drive/01%20SONIC%20DRIVE.mp3

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,912 of 4,487
I may have left a while back, but I am still curious about the T90's, especially since I can't find a place to demo them in my neck of the woods. However, I have not left a stone unturned and, as such, I will be demoing most of the HiFiMAN line and the Abyss in a few weeks from now. To dive into the heart of my question at hand, just how painfully sibilant is the T90 with the vocals in this song? I personally use it as a litmus test for treble brutality since it comes across as gritty and sharp even on some Sennheisers. Thank you, everyone!

http://media.sonicstadium.org/Music%20and%20Soundtracks/%5b2003%5d%20Sonic%20X%20-%20Sonic%20Drive/01%20SONIC%20DRIVE.mp3

I wouldn't say it is painful...but...it is noticeable, and a bit annoying (as is that track in general, IMHO).  

I should note that I am using the passive filter I wrote about a couple pages back and running it thru a tube on my DAC (MH 25.3) and LD MK III (C3G/ NU black glass 6SN7).

-Mark in St. Louis

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #2,913 of 4,487

Playing this song with T90 on Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade and it's very bright and sibilant.

Tried it with Aune T1 Mk 2 - exactly the same.

So I took my HD650 slightly less sibilant but still sibilant. On both Amps.

I have the feeling the recording engineer has a treble addiction. Not the best mastering I think....makes this song less pleasant than it could be.

Cheers,
K

EDIT: Not painful to listen to but present. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #2,914 of 4,487
 Playing this song with T90 on Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade and it's very bright and sibilant.

I have to agree here, the T90 is very bright. If you have a powerful amp you get the best results at a slightly lower dB

I would love to try out the AKG K712 Pro and AT-AD2000X against the T90. Given that the ohms are lower on both these units, there is probably going to be a noticeable difference.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #2,915 of 4,487

I have to agree here, the T90 is very bright. If you have a powerful amp you get the best results at a slightly lower dB

I would love to try out the AKG K712 Pro and AT-AD2000X against the T90. Given that the ohms are lower on both these units, there is probably going to be a noticeable difference.

I had the AKG Q701 and tried the K701 for two weeks. Not impressed at all. Didn't like them as much as I like my T90 (or HD650). I just seem not to be an AKG person apparently, which is weird. There is definitively a difference - the T90 needs a proper amp to sound it's best. But so does the K701/Q701.

Cheers,
K

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #2,916 of 4,487

I had the AKG Q701 and tried the K701 for two weeks. Not impressed at all. Didn't like them as much as I like my T90 (or HD650). I just seem not to be an AKG person apparently, which is weird. There is definitively a difference - the T90 needs a proper amp to sound it's best. But so does the K701/Q701.

Cheers,
K

Q701/K701 are both a huge step down from the T90.

I'm interested in comparing the K712 PRO against the T90

T90 sounds great with my AMP (Meier Audio Corda Jazz)

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2,917 of 4,487
Thanks guys! That was exactly what I was expecting, and this pretty much confirms my thoughts. I am pretty sure now I know which songs will and won't work on the T90 based on this one's performance. I may do some opamp rolling to get things to sound better. If I get or demo the T90, I have a bunch of OPA627s which smooth things over that may do the trick.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,918 of 4,487
Thanks guys! That was exactly what I was expecting, and this pretty much confirms my thoughts. I am pretty sure now I know which songs will and won't work on the T90 based on this one's performance. I may do some opamp rolling to get things to sound better. If I get or demo the T90, I have a bunch of OPA627s which smooth things over that may do the trick.

I am typically pretty sensitive to treble but it isn't bad at all, there is a tiny bit of sibilance but that's about it. So long as you're not listening to loud female vocals or white noise, you should be fine unless hot treble is a deal breaker. These are hot, but they're only as hot as the music. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #2,919 of 4,487
T90 sounds heavenly paired with Valhalla 2!  
dt880smile.png

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,920 of 4,487
I hope my custom PIMETA is up to the task. It has an impressive two BUF634 quad buffer stacks on the left and right channels, equating to up to 1000 mA output capability, or 2.2 watts, per channel. Being the detail freak that I am that mustn't have any sonic stone left unturned, my current favorite setup is all AD797's on the left, right and ground channels. My second favorite is slightly the same, with the AD797 again on the ground channel but the minor alteration of AD843's instead on the left and right channels. This configuration is almost my favorite by a hair or two. It retains much of the detail tendencies of the first configuration thanks to the AD797 on the ground channel and yet it has a bouncey, oh-so-slightly less detailed sound because of the AD843's. If it was just a smidge more accurate, meaning slightly more deep bass extension, a tighter, less boomey mid- and upper bass response and a more neutral midrange and treble, I would use this more often. Still, its slightly veiled tone might lend itself well to the T90 if it can balance out the treble enthusiasm just enough with its warmth and dynamism.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #2,921 of 4,487
Hey guys,

Tossing up between taking my 4 day old T90 Jubilees back to the shop for a store credit. Still in the trial period. Got these on a combo special for $1.5k (have receipt)

These sound amazing but I have large ears which keep touching the pads and result in discomfort after 30-50 mins.

I'm based in Perth, Oz so if anyone is looking for a brand new T90 Jubilees under rrp pm me with an offer. If no good offers Im taking them back to the store on the weekend.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #2,922 of 4,487
Hey guys,

Tossing up between taking my 4 day old T90 Jubilees back to the shop for a store credit. Still in the trial period. Got these on a combo special for $1.5k (have recipt)

These sound amazing but I have large ears which keep touching the pads and result in discomfort after 30-50 mins.

I'm based in Perth, Oz so if anyone is looking for a brand new T90 Jubilees under rrp pm me with an offer. If no good offers Im taking them back to the store on the weekend.

Why not just get better earpads? Comfort shouldn't trump SQ.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #2,924 of 4,487
Don't know much about customising pads, plus I think my ears would still be too large 

I don't think there is a special process to changing them, so that should be simple enough. As for your ear size, that could be true, but would that not be the case for every pair? I found the earpads on thr DT990s to be Bella comfortable. They were large, soft, and plush. Something like that should suit you.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #2,925 of 4,487
Curious if I am the only person experiencing this - "Imagine Dragons - Radioactive" sounds absolutely god awful, to the extent I removed it from my playlist on my T90's... the distorted bass/drums is unlistenable.

Other things with bass etc sounds awesome though, but this song, together with a couple of other Imagine Dragons songs sounds... well, Im not sure what they recorded with, papercup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back