Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 24, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,896 of 4,487
  My T90s were NIB and they had very light clamp too. fwiw.

Thanx for the heads up.

I found the inductors on eBay and Amazon, so I should be able to build the filter(s) in the coming week.

So far, I simply dropped 4k -1.5dB, 8K -3dB, and 16k -1.5dB in the iTunes EQ and, really, it sounds pretty darn nice...really nice clarity compared to the HD650...obviously not so lush/honey though.

-Mark

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,897 of 4,487

Thanx for the heads up.

I found the inductors on eBay and Amazon, so I should be able to build the filter(s) in the coming week.

So far, I simply dropped 4k -1.5dB, 8K -3dB, and 16k -1.5dB in the iTunes EQ and, really, it sounds pretty darn nice...really nice clarity compared to the HD650...obviously not so lush/honey though.

-Mark

Yeah they will never be Senns, but I find them pleasantly warm for a Beyer - no thin mids like the DT models; it's almost lush in comparison.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #2,898 of 4,487

Yet even more agree.

On perfectly recorded tracks, no headphone I would rather listen to besides my T-90.
Than includes the K812, K7-series, HD800,  and even the venerable T-1.

I've never yet tried the Stax 009  though.
Can anyone who loves their T-90, compare the mids and highs to the Stax 009's ?

I've only heard the 009 once, so I can't help much, but from vague memory they are on a different level. I remember the treble being near-perfect, and the mids more transparent than the T90 for sure.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,899 of 4,487
My X2's have a wider soundstage then the T90's, but so far i definitely prefer the signature over the X2. Everything sounds clean and precise, the bass steps up when needed. The treble has been a bit harsh on some recordings but has not bothered me all that much. Pretty much what everyone has said so far on these is true, looks like they are a keeper in my books.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,900 of 4,487
  My X2's have a wider soundstage then the T90's, but so far i definitely prefer the signature over the X2. Everything sounds clean and precise, the bass steps up when needed. The treble has been a bit harsh on some recordings but has not bothered me all that much. Pretty much what everyone has said so far on these is true, looks like they are a keeper in my books.

Really? The X2 sounds wider? I'll have to listen to them again...I remember A/Bing them at a meet with the HD650, and thinking that the 650s were definitely more dynamic/deeper soundstage, but they seemed similar in width. I'll have to try the X2 again.

Those 2 should make a great combo though - I know the X2 is in the same arena as the 650s, which are the perfect match to my T90s. One of them always sounds perfect, no matter what mood I'm in ^_^

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2,901 of 4,487

Really? The X2 sounds wider? I'll have to listen to them again...I remember A/Bing them at a meet with the HD650, and thinking that the 650s were definitely more dynamic/deeper soundstage, but they seemed similar in width. I'll have to try the X2 again.

Those 2 should make a great combo though - I know the X2 is in the same arena as the 650s, which are the perfect match to my T90s. One of them always sounds perfect, no matter what mood I'm in ^_^

Yeah  i feel the instrument placement seems wider on my X2, i have had the whole feeling like its coming from behind me a few times. Have not had it yet on the T90 with the same recordings.

As much as i enjoy the X2, having them just sit around seems like a waste. Hopefully i can find them a new home in the coming months.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #2,902 of 4,487
  Yeah  i feel the instrument placement seems wider on my X2, i have had the whole feeling like its coming from behind me a few times. Have not had it yet on the T90 with the same recordings.

As much as i enjoy the X2, having them just sit around seems like a waste. Hopefully i can find them a new home in the coming months.

Out of curiosity, why are you keeping the T90s and selling the X2s?

Honestly with the T90s, I'm glad I have my HD650s too - I can always swap out if I want more thump, or if my ears get fatigued. IMO it's good to have contrast; I find I don't get bored this way, and don't have the desire to keep climbing the ladder, so to speak.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,903 of 4,487
So I ended up building solderdude's T90 passive filter, and I gotta say it works pretty well!  

Been listening with it in place all evening on a variety of tracks, both "good" and "bad" recordings.  

It was pretty easy to build...but if I was to do it again I wouldn't bother using a paired hole PCB board...too fiddly.  I used a Hammond combo with 1593K board and have 1/4" plug and jack "pigtails" cpoming out of the ends of the box.  The inductors were the only bits I couldn't get locally, but they were easy enough to get on eBay and Amazon.

Anyway, I would say it's worth building if you're so inclined.

-Mark in St. Louis

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,905 of 4,487
  Right on, thanks for being the guinea pig :) I may have to check it out. What are the qualitative changes you found with the filter?

It smooths the delivery and lessens (but doesn't kill) the treble spike...there is still a treble bias of sorts.  

It is similar to the minimal EQ'ing I mentioned above, except it is more linear...smoother...less dis-jointed.

BTW...This is on a LD MK III with Siemens C3G drivers and NU black glass 6SN7 powers...FWIW.

-Mark

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #2,907 of 4,487
I just received my Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilees today.​

They sound amazing with a Quad Link D1 DAC + Meier Audio Corda Jazz Amp. I actually have to turn the volume down they sound that good.​

There a couple of things I dislike though.​
I'm not sure if I'm being picky but the cans are a little small on my ear. Not much breathing space. I have big ears though.​
.​
I have been wearing these for a couple of hours now and my ears are warm (not hot) which is a good thing I think.​
Overall I'm satisfied.​
They could also be a little cooler on the ears.​

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,908 of 4,487

It smooths the delivery and lessens (but doesn't kill) the treble spike...there is still a treble bias of sorts.

It is similar to the minimal EQ'ing I mentioned above, except it is more linear...smoother...less dis-jointed.

BTW...This is on a LD MK III with Siemens C3G drivers and NU black glass 6SN7 powers...FWIW.

-Mark

Does it also reduce the ssssssssss on vocals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back