Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,866 of 4,487

How is the bass compared to the X2s? 

I think he can do a full comparison (treble detail, sub bass, bass quantity, soundstage depth, width, etc.)

T90 has enough bass, but it hides under the screaming treble in overall mix. As I remember comparing them for few mins with HD650 (bass and sub-bass) - T90 had almost the same loudness and quantity of bass. I think HD650 had a little bit deeper sub-bass, but very close to T90. I've been wow'ed that its so close.

Later I found this track, so If someone own T90 and HD650:
https://soundcloud.com/killthesubwoofer/bass-test-bass-can-you-hear-me
Please tell the difference, haha.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #2,867 of 4,487
  I think he can do a full comparison (treble detail, sub bass, bass quantity, soundstage depth, width, etc.)

T90 has enough bass, but it hides under the screaming treble in overall mix. As I remember comparing them for few mins with HD650 (bass and sub-bass) - T90 had almost the same loudness and quantity of bass. I think HD650 had a little bit deeper sub-bass, but very close to T90. I've been wow'ed that its so close.

Later I found this track, so If someone own T90 and HD650:
https://soundcloud.com/killthesubwoofer/bass-test-bass-can-you-hear-me
Please tell the difference, haha.

Okay, I've been a little worried about the bass as I am not sure what to really expect, probably just being over-paranoid. Try out this track, the sub-bass on this is unreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NaJ-ePq_w4 the bass starts around 0:55.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #2,868 of 4,487
Question for the T90 owners out there (especially those with an arsenal of cans past or present)...

I've mainly use HD650s now...my (2) rigs are:

LD MK II/LD DAC_1
LD MK III (some modding)/Music Hall 25.3

Both LDs run 6SN7 power tubes, and the MK III has C3G drivers.

Both run out of MBP or iMac...mix of files/styles.

I'm looking for a set of phones to compliment/add-to/expand/whatever the HD650...ie try something different.

Looking at the DT880/600, T90, HE-400i, and HE-500.

All would be bought used...somewhere between $350-400 (except DT880 ~$175, I would say).

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,869 of 4,487
So I just got my T90s about an hour ago...and am I impressed. A full impression will have to wait a few days or so, but these do exactly what the reviews say they do. So far, I'm hearing that they do exactly what the music calls for and nothing less. They reproduce the sound as it was meant to be heard, and that is something I really appreciate. I am hearing a slightly smaller soundstage than the DT990s (which is fine) but I am hearing more depth. The bass, which was my main concern, is definitely not basshead worthy out of the box, but if you want it, it can handle a significant boost, and that is the selling point for these...they can handle more than the DT990s could which is one of the things I was looking for. Giving these a try out of the box, you wouldn't expect them to be able to do what I've got them doing now, but they can. It, of course, has that kind of clicking/static sound if too much bass is being done, but it can handle 200-300% more than the DT990s can. The mids are great, just as good as the DT990s. The treble is hot, and a lot hotter than the DT990s, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The treble is definitely airy, which I really like, and it is smooth. I tend not to care about the treble in the slightest, so that's really all I can say. I am driving this from the headphone jack of a UCA222 DAC, which I presume has an amplifier since it has a volume wheel, and it is bringing volume that I'd expect from an E12. For 250 ohms this is really easy to drive. Overall, I would say this defintiely brings the music to life, and makes the listening experience 100000x better. My only gripe would be that it should have a wider and deeper soundstage for what it is and I like the pads on the DT990s better, much softer. Happy I pulled the trigger on this one, and interested in what an amp can do for these. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,870 of 4,487
  Question for the T90 owners out there (especially those with an arsenal of cans past or present)...

I've mainly use HD650s now...my (2) rigs are:

LD MK II/LD DAC_1
LD MK III (some modding)/Music Hall 25.3

Both LDs run 6SN7 power tubes, and the MK III has C3G drivers.

Both run out of MBP or iMac...mix of files/styles.

I'm looking for a set of phones to compliment/add-to/expand/whatever the HD650...ie try something different.

Looking at the DT880/600, T90, HE-400i, and HE-500.

All would be bought used...somewhere between $350-400 (except DT880 ~$175, I would say).

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

The only headphones that the Little dot MK 3 amp would work great with that you listed are the beyerdynamic Headphones.  I don't know about the HE-400i's but the HE-500 I know wont sound that good out of the little dot MK2/3 tube amps as it wont drive them correctly as they need something more powerful other wise it will not sound the way it should,Changing the tube won't work as I tried that with the tube's at hand, it simply need more power then what those two tube amps can supply.  I experienced that from the little dot MK 2 2.0 I had when I bought my HE-500, as the only reason I had the little dot amp was because of the T90. I needed a stronger hp amp like the Asgard 2 for the HE-500 to sound great and enjoyable.

Prior to the HE-500 I had the T90 with the little dot MK2 2.0 headphone amp, i found the pair to work very well together but that was after i changed the stock tube's power tube to 6H30P-Eb and tried many driver tubes and liked the CV4010 and a EI Yugoslavia vacuum tube that I can't think of the name of with the T90's.

I did like the HE-500 over the T90 as they give the exact sound that I  wanted, the T90 highs was cool at first then my ears got tired of the brightness and the cable bunching up getting twisting and i couldn't keep the cable straight. The good thing about the T90's was they are lighter then the HE-500s.

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,871 of 4,487
  The only headphones that the Little dot MK 3 amp would work great with that you listed are the beyerdynamic Headphones.  I don't know about the HE-400i's but the HE-500 I know wont sound that good out of the MK3 as it wont drive them correctly and they will not sound good at all out of them. I experienced that from the little dot MK 2 2.0 I had when I bought my HE-500. I needed a stronger hp amp like the asgard 2 for the HE-500 to sound great. 

Prior to the HE-500 I had the T90 with the little dot MK2 2.0 headphone amp, i found the pair to work very well together but that was after i changed the stock tube's power tube to 6H30P-Eb and tried many driver tubes and liked the CV4010 and a EI Yugoslavia vacuum tube that I can't think of the name of with the T90's.

I have a complete arsenal of EF95/EF92/EF91 for the LDs...but...as I said, I now use C3G drivers and 6SN7 powers...whole different kettle of fish.  The Ei you used was a 6HM5...nice tubes, I use the GE 6HQ5 version in the MK II at times...I also really like the Mullard M8081s.

Anyway, I thought I had read several reviews where people actually enjoyed the HE-500 with the LDs...maybe I imagined it.

DT880 vs T90 price differential "worth it"???

TA
-Mark

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #2,872 of 4,487

I have a complete arsenal of EF95/EF92/EF91 for the LDs...but...as I said, I now use C3G drivers and 6SN7 powers...whole different kettle of fish.  The Ei you used was a 6HM5...nice tubes, I use the GE 6HQ5 version in the MK II at times...I also really like the Mullard M8081s.

Anyway, I thought I had read several reviews where people actually enjoyed the HE-500 with the LDs...maybe I imagined it.

DT880 vs T90 price differential "worth it"???

TA
-Mark

It was prolly the Little dot's that provided alot more power then both the MK2 and MK3 can provide as i wanted to rip my ears off using it off the LD MK2 2.0. Of course there are  much more powerful Little dot tube amp's out there that can provide tons of power. It just Mk2/3 are not a good much with the HE-500 either besides not handing them, as I have seen people with the MK3 not being happy with the HE-500 til they got a headphone amp that was stronger. 

I enjoyed the DT880 premium 600 i find that I liked the T90 alot more over them. The only thing that bothered me after using the t90 for a long while, was the brightness but i toned that down with the Ei 6HM5's. To me it was worth it but only if you can get a good deal on the T90's. When I had my T90 i got them for like $430 on ebay,you might be able to find them cheap in the F/S section of the forum or amazon. Even tho I liked the T90 more the DT880 premium 600 was great headphones also. So you shouldn't go wrong with either of them. It mainly gonna be what type of sound do you want as both sound different then each other.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #2,873 of 4,487
While I said it would be a few days, I think I got a good feel of these...so here is a full review: 

Pros: Bass, clarity, transparency, imaging, comfort, 
Cons: Treble, build quality for the price, price

Introduction
I should start off by describing myself, experiences, among other things. The term "audiophile basshead" fits me well. I like bass, but also appreciate great sound quality. Give me bass and a good soundstage and I will be a happy camper. With that being said, I tend to look for open headphones that have good bass...which this definitely fits. I have only had/tried three other headphones. Those being M-Audio Q40s, Numark Electrowaves, and Beyerdynamic DT990 pros. The Q40s where my first "real" headphones other than gaming headsets that I have used for music and gaming. They were quite nice, but died within months, which lead to the Numark Electrowaves which were a replacement to the Q40s as InMusic (the parent company) didn't have any replacements for the Q40s. The Electrowaves were the same thing as the Q40s basically, except for more quality oriented which leads me to wanting quality over quantity...thus leading me to the DT990s. I had the DT990s in February ´15, but returned them within a month as they couldn't handle much bass. They did have quite a bit of bass...but a boost was out of the question which limited the bass I could get form them. After months of researching, this leads me to today and to the T90s. 

Burn-in so far: about 10 hours.

Equipment: FiiO E6 + Behringer UCA222 cheap, but will edit once I get a better amp or amp/DAC.

Ergonomics
These are basically the same as the DT line, except with a different design. Not much to add here other than they are stylish, yet simple. 10/10

Build Quality
I would say this is a significant con. For $650 (I paid $549) these have okay build quality. They have the same generic build quality as the DT line which makes no sense. For $650 I would expect more metal, but instead...there is plastic. Had the mesh been metal, I wouldn't be writing this, but it's plastic. I certainly don't think this will be falling apart or breaking any time soon, but I expected more. I could just be picky here, but I really do expect a premium feel for a premium price. 8/10

Comfort
These are quite comfortable, the earpads are valour and are plush as well as soft. The clamp is a little more than I like, but it's acceptable. I do find the DT990s to triumph in comfort though, the earpads on those were softer and plushier, perhaps it is because these weight a little more, but it's not a major difference. I do find that these can get a little warm though and airing out the ears every once and a while is necessary, but not a big problem. 9/10

Sound
Overall, this is a quality oriented pair of cans. These are not neutral by any means. They are hot, and they can be sibilant to some. The treble on the DT990s only bothered me slightly on some tracks. For these, they tend to bother me a bit more in general, but it's nothing to complain about. The biggest thing about these cans are what you put into them is what you get. They are extremely transparent, and will give you what you want, this is a massive pro as you can do what you want with the sound to make it sound a certain way. 

Treble
As previously stated...these are hot. The treble can be harsh to those who are sensitive to it. With a little EQ drop in the treble, this potential issue is fixed. Upon being fixed, the treble is airy, and crisp. It does exactly what it should. I cannot really go much into it as I really don't pay attention to the treble, but I would say it does treble well and that listening to it without an amp/DAC or whatever else, the treble is going to be the most present. 8.5/10

Mids & Details
Mids...I really don't pay much attention to these, nor am I familiar with many terms, but from what I can hear these are very present. No matter what situation I have put these cans in, the mids were definitely there, which I assume would make them "forward". As far as vocals go, this pair doesn't do as well as the DT990s, but vocals are still done very well. I think the 990s had an artificial boost to the mids that gave vocals a better sound, but I am unsure. The vocals seem very natural and as they should with the T90s. The mids are just behind the treble when just listening to them and nothing else. 9/10

Bass
The reason why I love these is that they can take a massive boost to bass. If you don't want a whole lot, they can do that, if you want a lot, they can do that. They can't go to an XB1000 level, but they can definitely do bass. Out of the box, they have some thump, but it depends on the song. As I said before, what you put in is what you get out, and that is definitely true for the bass. Compared to the DT990s, they have less bass overall, but can handle a lot more. There really isn't much to say here other than it can handle a lot. It really depends on what the song has in it and what you want out of them. I can say these are not basshead cans out of the box, but can be if you amplify and EQ them to act like basshead cans. Although, don't expect anywhere near the same bass levels as heavier basshead cans. Inn regards to the three bass regions, I find that sub-bass is slightly lacking, while upper bass is present and mid bass is very present accounting for most of the bass. 9/10

Soundstage (& Imaging)
This is where I was a little disappointed. The DT990s has a wider soundstage, but these have a deeper soundstage. Personally...I prefer a wider soundstage. That being said, these do not lack soundstage at all. They are wide to the point where they need to be, but sadly, not any more than that. There's really not much more to say in regards to soundstage. As for imaging, I am not familiar with imaging, but I can say it definitely is there. I personally think the DT990s did a better job of this, but you can definitely tell where things are with these, that's really all there is to it. 8/10

Leak
Open headphones leak...that is fact. In comparison to the DT990s, they leak more. I could put a more dark EQ on the 990s and put them on 50% volume and have them not leak much at all. These won't do that, but it will help. I wouldn't advise listening to these in public since they leak quite a bit, especially considering the treble is higher on these. These are definitely more open than the 990s, that is apparent. At 25% volume with just my DAC, I could hear the music from about 1 meter away. Where as, with DT990s I kind of could, but not as much. They aren't really loud and obnoxious, but people could hear and maybe make out what you're listening to. 8/10

Isolation
Again, these are open, so isolation won't be great on these. With my DAC, amp, and EQ on 25% volume, I could hear my TV and make out what what being said when set to a volume of 10. That is slightly louder on my TV, so the isolation is definitely not great. With that being said, don't expect isolation from these unless at volume where leak is an issue. 7/10

Drivability/Impedance
These are rated at 250 ohm, so that means they're harder to drive...right? Not these babies. My Note 3 was able to drive them with more than enough volume very easily. The Note 3 may have an amplifer (not sure) but they can be driven with a cheap amplifier such as an E6 like I am using. 10710

Final Thoughts
Overall, I greatly enjoy these headphones. There really isn't much else to add that I haven't already said. These headphones are like a little soldier. They do what they're told to do, and I think that's how the Tesla driver is designed. Beyer says they're "precision" magnets, and I definitely agree with that. They deliver the music how it's meant to be heard by default, but are more than open minded as to EQ and amplification. They lean heavily towards enjoyable rather than analytical. From metal to rap to pop to EDM to screamo there wasn't anything they couldn't make sound amazing, I am impressed. 

I would highly recommend giving these a try. While they are expensive and not everyone will have the pleasure of trying them (which is why I listed price as a con) they are worth every single penny I paid for them. I am extremely happy with these, and am excited to see what else Beyer can do with the Tesla drivers. 

Overall rating: 9.5/10

TL;DR - These are a very transparent pair of cans that can make anything sound amazing. They do what is asked of them without compromise. They may be expensive, but they take music to the next level.

Update: After about 20 hours burn-in, they seem to be getting warmer in the sub-bass and mid bass region. I'm listening to them more naturally just from a headphone jack and they sound amazing. What I liked about the DT990s was they sounded great any way you listened to them, these do take that to a new level. They are still hot, but not as much as they were. Will update again at 50 hours. I have to say though...I think I have fallen in love with Tesla drivers, the precision and efficiency is amazing. 

Update2: After about 50 hours burn-in, there isn't too much difference other than them being significantly less hot. The bass does seem to have tightened up a bit more too as well as is more pronounced. Listening them through my headphone jack with no EQ or anything of the sort, the treble has really tamed down. Using a vocal and treble enhancing EQ the treble still isn't bad, it was hot at first...but it's definitely more mellow now. Still enjoy them, and enjoy them much more in a natural state than I did before. 

Update3: I got a Samsung Galaxy S6 (early, thanks T-Mobile) and it is said to have a Wolfson WM1840 DAC chip. I was using a Behringer UCA222 before, so this is a definite upgrade...and I could see that right away. The soundstage opened up a bit and the sound got more airy. Will update when I try high quality files and with the E6. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #2,874 of 4,487
  While I said it would be a few days, I think I got a good feel of these...so here is a full review: 

Pros: Bass, clarity, transparency, imaging, comfort, 
Cons: Treble, build quality for the price, price

Introduction
I should start off by describing myself, experiences, among other things. The term "audiophile basshead" fits me well. I like bass, but also appreciate great sound quality. Give me bass and a good soundstage and I will be a happy camper. With that being said, I tend to look for open headphones that have good bass...which this definitely fits. I have only had/tried three other headphones. Those being M-Audio Q40s, Numark Electrowaves, and Beyerdynamic DT990 pros. The Q40s where my first "real" headphones other than gaming headsets that I have used for music and gaming. They were quite nice, but died within months, which lead to the Numark Electrowaves which were a replacement to the Q40s as InMusic (the parent company) didn't have any replacements for the Q40s. The Electrowaves were the same thing as the Q40s basically, except for more quality oriented which leads me to wanting quality over quantity...thus leading me to the DT990s. I had the DT990s in February ´15, but returned them within a month as they couldn't handle much bass. They did have quite a bit of bass...but a boost was out of the question which limited the bass I could get form them. After months of researching, this leads me to today and to the T90s. 

Burn-in so far: about 10 hours.

Equipment: FiiO E6 + Behringer UCA222 cheap, but will edit once I get a better amp or amp/DAC.

Ergonomics
These are basically the same as the DT line, except with a different design. Not much to add here other than they are stylish, yet simple. 10/10

Build Quality
I would say this is a significant con. For $650 (I paid $549) these have okay build quality. They have the same generic build quality as the DT line which makes no sense. For $650 I would expect more metal, but instead...there is plastic. Had the mesh been metal, I wouldn't be writing this, but it's plastic. I certainly don't think this will be falling apart or breaking any time soon, but I expected more. I could just be picky here, but I really do expect a premium feel for a premium price. 8/10

Sound
Overall, this is a quality oriented pair of cans. These are not neutral by any means. They are hot, and they can be sibilant to some. The treble on the DT990s only bothered me slightly on some tracks. For these, they tend to bother me a bit more in general, but it's nothing to complain about. The biggest thing about these cans are what you put into them is what you get. They are extremely transparent, and will give you what you want, this is a massive pro as you can do what you want with the sound to make it sound a certain way. 

Treble
As previously stated...these are hot. The treble can be harsh to those who are sensitive to it. With a little EQ drop in the treble, this potential issue is fixed. Upon being fixed, the treble is airy, and crisp. It does exactly what it should. I cannot really go much into it as I really don't pay attention to the treble, but I would say it does treble well and that listening to it without an amp/DAC or whatever else, the treble is going to be the most present. 8.5/10

Mids & Details
Mids...I really don't pay much attention to these, nor am I familiar with many terms, but from what I can hear these are very present. No matter what situation I have put these cans in, the mids were definitely there, which I assume would make them "forward". As far as vocals go, this pair doesn't do as well as the DT990s, but vocals are still done very well. I think the 990s had an artificial boost to the mids that gave vocals a better sound, but I am unsure. The vocals seem very natural and as they should with the T90s. The mids are just behind the treble when just listening to them and nothing else. 9/10

Bass
The reason why I love these is that they can take a massive boost to bass. If you don't want a whole lot, they can do that, if you want a lot, they can do that. They can't go to an XB1000 level, but they can definitely do bass. Out of the box, they have some thump, but it depends on the song. As I said before, what you put in is what you get out, and that is definitely true for the bass. Compared to the DT990s, they have less bass overall, but can handle a lot more. There really isn't much to say here other than it can handle a lot. It really depends on what the song has in it and what you want out of them. I can say these are not basshead cans out of the box, but can be if you amplify and EQ them to act like basshead cans. Although, don't expect anywhere near the same bass levels as heavier basshead cans. 9/10

Soundstage (& Imaging)
This is where I was a little disappointed. The DT990s has a wider soundstage, but these have a deeper soundstage. Personally...I prefer a wider soundstage. That being said, these do not lack soundstage at all. They are wide to the point where they need to be, but sadly, not any more than that. There's really not much more to say in regards to soundstage. As for imaging, I am not familiar with imaging, but I can say it definitely is there. I personally think the DT990s did a better job of this, but you can definitely tell where things are with these, that's really all there is to it. 8/10

Leak
Open headphones leak...that is fact. In comparison to the DT990s, they leak more. I could put a more dark EQ on the 990s and put them on 50% volume and have them not leak much at all. These won't do that, but it will help. I wouldn't advise listening to these in public since they leak quite a bit, especially considering the treble is higher on these. These are definitely more open than the 990s, that is apparent. At 25% volume with just my DAC, I could hear the music from about 1 meter away. Where as, with DT990s I kind of could, but not as much. They aren't really loud and obnoxious, but people could hear and maybe make out what you're listening to. 8/10

Isolation
Again, these are open, so isolation won't be great on these. With my DAC, amp, and EQ on 25% volume, I could hear my TV and make out what what being said when set to a volume of 10. That is slightly louder on my TV, so the isolation is definitely not great. With that being said, don't expect isolation from these unless at volume where leak is an issue. 7/10

Drivability/Impedance
These are rated at 250 ohm, so that means they're harder to drive...right? Not these babies. My Note 3 was able to drive them with more than enough volume very easily. The Note 3 may have an amplifer (not sure) but they can be driven with a cheap amplifier such as an E6 like I am using. 10710

Final Thoughts
Overall, I greatly enjoy these headphones. There really isn't much else to add that I haven't already said. These headphones are like a little soldier. They do what they're told to do, and I think that's how the Tesla driver is designed. Beyer says they're "precision" magnets, and I definitely agree with that. They deliver the music how it's meant to be heard by default, but are more than open minded as to EQ and amplification. They lean heavily towards enjoyable rather than analytical. From metal to rap to pop to EDM to screamo there wasn't anything they couldn't make sound amazing, I am impressed. 

I would highly recommend giving these a try. While they are expensive and not everyone will have the pleasure of trying them (which is why I listed price as a con) they are worth every single penny I paid for them. I am extremely happy with these, and am excited to see what else Beyer can do with the Tesla drivers. 

Overall rating: 9.5/10

TL;DR - These are a very transparent pair of cans that can make anything sound amazing. They do what is asked of them without compromise. They may be expensive, but they take music to the next level.

Excellent review...

I have had mine for a week now and they are definitely a great pair of cans. Easy as pie to drive. My Concero HP past 25 on the windows slider is way to loud, Im going to box my X2's up and put them up for sale fairly soon. These fit me better and i can actually lay back with a pillow and not feel like my ears are going to pop off etc. The Bass on the T90 is fabulous and the rest of the spectrum is great. I dont mind the hot treble at all :D

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,875 of 4,487
So...I just picked up some T90s, as a "compliment"/juxtaposition to my HD650s....

Won't see them until next week, but I was wondering if anyone has them paired with a Little Dot MK III (or MK II) and has any particular tubes they really like with these cans?

I'm currently running C3G drivers and NU 6SN7 powers on the MK III and GE 6HQ5s and TS Mouse Ear 6SN7s on the MK II...but...I have a wide variety of EF95/EF92/EF91, Ken Rad GTs, Sylvania Chrome Dome GTBs,  and a couple sets of Russian powers.

Any insights appreciated.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,876 of 4,487
  So...I just picked up some T90s, as a "compliment"/juxtaposition to my HD650s....

Won't see them until next week, but I was wondering if anyone has them paired with a Little Dot MK III (or MK II) and has any particular tubes they really like with these cans?

I'm currently running C3G drivers and NU 6SN7 powers on the MK III and GE 6HQ5s and TS Mouse Ear 6SN7s on the MK II...but...I have a wide variety of EF95/EF92/EF91, Ken Rad GTs, Sylvania Chrome Dome GTBs,  and a couple sets of Russian powers.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

This is the reason I originally bought my T90s...I wound up selling the 650s XD which I've since repurchased. They make a great team.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,877 of 4,487

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

I have paired them with the Little dot MK II 2.0 my self and it did a wonderful job and I used plenty of other driver tubes before I gotten a hold of the CV4010 driver tubes and Ei Yugo Ei 6HM5's and used them with the 6H30P-EB power tubes. The 6HM5 out of the two driver tubereally worked great with them.

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,878 of 4,487

I have paired them with the Little dot MK II 2.0 my self and it did a wonderful job and I used plenty of other driver tubes before I gotten a hold of the CV4010 driver tubes and Ei Yugo Ei 6HM5's and used them with the 6H30P-EB power tubes. The 6HM5 out of the two driver tubereally worked great with them.

Thanx...I have CV4010, M8081 (vey laid back...might do nicely taming the T90 treble), and 6HQ5 (tall bottle, much like 6HM5)...so. I will give them all a try when the phones arrive.

Has anyone tried solderdude's (over at diyaudioheaven) T90 passive filter???

http://www.mediafire.com/view/0hqg47575xtejw1/T90_passive_filter.pdf

-Mark

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,879 of 4,487
The T-90's, I feel, are the brightest of all $500+ headphones.  Extension is great in both directions.  Detail is excellent.  Imaging is clean and clear.  Tesla magnets are great.  Soundstage is quite narrow, but I guess I've been spoiled by K701 / Q701 all these years.....They are brighter and more sibilant than any AKG K7__, noticeably and extremely so.  they literally make my K701's and Q701's seem laid back, warm, and smooth,  by comparison.  Brighter and more sibilant than my Sony MDR-7506's and V6's....i am not exaggerating.  At all.

If you hate sibilance or sharp/bright treble, you will absolutely hate these headphones.   Unless you have a veiled tube amp that pumps harmonically distorted lard out.

This, however, serves a great purpose for recording engineers, or detail freaks in general.  Sibilance on poorly recorded or EQ'd vocals / instruments, are not revealed in a painful way on AKG K7__'s, but are more apparent and bright than say, a Sennheiser 650, or an Audeze or HiFiMan headphone.  But on the T-90.....sibilance and upper treble hiss and shrillness, is painful and unbearable on most older psychedelic rock recordings or poorly recorded music in general.

Despite the narrower soundstage than i am used to, these are an excellent engineering tool.  But not a terribly enjoyable listen for treble-haters on a transparent source, on poor source material.  On perfectly recorded and engineered tracks, it's awesome though :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,880 of 4,487
  The T-90's, I feel, are the brightest of all $500+ headphones.  Extension is great in both directions.  Detail is excellent.  Imaging is clean and clear.  Tesla magnets are great.  Soundstage is quite narrow, but I guess I've been spoiled by K701 / Q701 all these years.....They are brighter and more sibilant than any AKG K7__, noticeably and extremely so.  they literally make my K701's and Q701's seem laid back, warm, and smooth,  by comparison.  Brighter and more sibilant than my Sony MDR-7506's and V6's....i am not exaggerating.  At all.

If you hate sibilance or sharp/bright treble, you will absolutely hate these headphones.   Unless you have a veiled tube amp that pumps harmonically distorted lard out.

This, however, serves a great purpose for recording engineers, or detail freaks in general.  Sibilance on poorly recorded or EQ'd vocals / instruments, are not revealed in a painful way on AKG K7__'s, but are more apparent and bright than say, a Sennheiser 650, or an Audeze or HiFiMan headphone.  But on the T-90.....sibilance and upper treble hiss and shrillness, is painful and unbearable on most older psychedelic rock recordings or poorly recorded music in general.

Despite the narrower soundstage than i am used to, these are an excellent engineering tool.  But not a terribly enjoyable listen for treble-haters on a transparent source, on poor source material.  On perfectly recorded and engineered tracks, it's awesome though :)

^^^^ This, I can't emphasize enough. My friend who is an engineer and a composer is super jealous of my T90s XD They are by far the most "critical" headphones I've ever listened to - any flaws whatsoever will be made apparent. Not enough bass on the track? It will sound dull and lifeless on the T90s. Over-hyped treble or bright source? Get ready for some sibilance.

Good source material? Beautiful sound all around.

I see so many conflicting opinions on the T90s soundstage. I think the T90 sounds extra aggressive sometimes because of the treble, but  I really don't feel like it deserves to be called narrow - not as wide as K701, clearly, but I think it's at least on par with my HD650, which is no slouch. The T1 is wider, but not by a huge margin; IMO the only cans that really make the T90 sound cramped are the outliers like AKGs and the HD800; for example I don't think the HE-560 is much wider, if at all, and I don't see anyone calling it narrow.

I still definitely find myself looking around sometimes to see if sounds are coming from outside my porch door XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back