Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #2,821 of 4,487
  Since i am upgrading my headphones recently, should i get the T1 or HD800?

That is really a personal preference decision. You should find a meet and listen to both to decide for yourself. You are going to get people that say T1 is the only way to go while others will recommend the HD800. I have both and spend more time with the HD800 and even the T90, than the T1. My preference. For what it's worth the HD800 has a more convergence of opinions throughout all the various forums than the T1. But the T1 is a very fine headphone. It really comes down to personal preferences.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #2,822 of 4,487

read page 107 of this T90 thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607079/beyerdynamic-t90-d/1590

Thanks, I hadn't gotten that far in the thread.

Quote:

I really just listen to T90 these days, but it may just be my listening preference. The most important things for me are detail, sound stage and imaging, and T90 does those better. I guess that doesn't matter that much to you since you are not making a decision between T90 and HD 600. 

I hear that if you own T90, T1 is not worth the investment since they are very close in terms of sound. But you own neither, and it's just a 300€ more. I'd take the T1. 10% better sound for 300 euros? Heck that's a bargain, I mean we upgrade our DACs and amps to get just a tiny bit better sound and pay more than that all the time.

Do you think the soundstage of the T90 is noticeably larger than the HD 600?

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Quote:
The DT770 Anniversary is a great headphone, still use it a lot. But the clarity an detail of the T90 are better as well as the bass (with the right amp) can extend way lower and is more layered. I have both and listened to @punit T1 for two weeks when he generously lend them to me when he was traveling. The T90 was a revelation to me the T1 does everything a tad better. Soundstage is more open, and the highs are the most natural you can get - makes the T90 in comparison sound a bit unnatural/ artificial when you A/B them. I bought @punit DT770 anniversary, and his T90 over time, but he won't sell me his T1.

I am still terribly in love with my T90, so much so that I sold it to buy the Jubilee edition.

Is the T1 worth the extra money, YES. Is it worth the upgrade for you personally? Not so sure. A very subjective thing. I love the T1 but I am still hesitating to make the jump, can't explain why.

So my recommendation, work yourself up the ladder and when you reached your personal audio heaven - enjoy and stay there :wink:

@punit had all three headphones and I personally respect his opinion the most, maybe he jumps in here but I guess he will tell you the same he tells me: Get the T1, period.

Cheers,
K
I see. Thanks for responding.

Do you think the T90 overall has a similar sound signature to the T1? In terms of the soundstage; is it much more open or is it a relatively subtle difference?

I'm not sure I can justify spending the extra 300€ on the T1 - also considering they'll just be driven by the O2 amp, although I understand it should have enough power.

I'll take a few more days to decide, thanks again.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,824 of 4,487

Hi!

You can be perfectly happy with the T90 - I am and with all the temptation I never made the jump to the T1 - for some the T90 is the better can. Sound signature is similar.

@jamesng45678 - tough one. I heard them both extensive but I think if I could choose I would take the HD800 - the T1 though is cheaper, can be found online for way less than the HD800. 

Cheers,
K

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #2,825 of 4,487
  Looks like im joining the club :D Just waiting on my confirmation from Thomann.de 

for some reason their ordering system is a tad wierd, says my order went through but i didnt get an order number etc.. Hopefully its all good.

In my experience it may take some time for the confirmation email to go out, so I would not worry. And welcome to the club!

I'm not sure I can justify spending the extra 300€ on the T1 - also considering they'll just be driven by the O2 amp, although I understand it should have enough power.

I think the T90 is really a very good headphone and well worth its asking price. The T1 has a different tonal balance, being smoother overall (I think the T90 has a more lively treble) and can offer more details -- but that of course depends on the source / DAC and amp... Can't comment on the O2 in that regard as I've never heard it personally.

If you're after a complementary headphone for your HD600 the T90 might be the better fit as it is more different so to say... plus 300,- invested in music instead is quite a bit of fun :wink:

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #2,826 of 4,487

I think T90 has noticeably larger soundstage than HD 600. 

Cool, thanks.

You can be perfectly happy with the T90 - I am and with all the temptation I never made the jump to the T1 - for some the T90 is the better can. Sound signature is similar.

Very well, thank you.

If you're after a complementary headphone for your HD600 the T90 might be the better fit as it is more different so to say... plus 300,- invested in music instead is quite a bit of fun :wink:

That's what I've been thinking as well - the T1 sounds like it would almost certainly replace the HD 600 despite having a bit of a different sound. I've been considering just getting a pair of DT 990 instead, but I'm worried they might be too V-shaped for me. As I understand it, the T90 isn't quite a "successor" to the DT 880 or 990, but almost like a successor to both?

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #2,827 of 4,487
Oh no! Well I guess that could also be a good thing :beyersmile: . Do you think it's a massive upgrade in detail and do you still enjoy listening to the HD 600 or is it more a case of "I should just use the T90"?

I recognize you from the DT 770 Pro 32 ohm (anniversary) thread :) . If I might ask, how do you think the T90 compares to those?

If anyone who has tried both the T90 and T1 feels like talking about them (is the T1 worth an extra 300€ (~$350)?), that would be great!

Hiya :)

T90 and DT770 are two very different cans...T90 has way tighter bass, it doesn't have the extra body of the 770, also the mids are less recessed on the T90 and the sound is much more open; 770s are like being alone in a small auditorium, T90s sound like a mid-sized outdoor venue in comparison. The DT770 has noticeably less upper mid emphasis. T90 is technically superior in every way, but it's definitely a brighter sound and more monitor-like, while also actually having a bit more of a lushness to it than other Beyers.

...except the T1. The T1 has this awesome liquid lushness to it that I really enjoy, personally; it's like a T90 on steroids. Very neutral but also very natural. Treble is less prominent than the T90 and bass is fuller with more impact. Choosing between the 2 I don't see why I wouldn't choose the T1 every time. It's my favorite full-size can.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,828 of 4,487
Hiya
smily_headphones1.gif

T90 and DT770 are two very different cans...T90 has way tighter bass, it doesn't have the extra body of the 770, also the mids are less recessed on the T90 and the sound is much more open; 770s are like being alone in a small auditorium, T90s sound like a mid-sized outdoor venue in comparison. The DT770 has noticeably less upper mid emphasis. T90 is technically superior in every way, but it's definitely a brighter sound and more monitor-like, while also actually having a bit more of a lushness to it than other Beyers.

...except the T1. The T1 has this awesome liquid lushness to it that I really enjoy, personally; it's like a T90 on steroids. Very neutral but also very natural. Treble is less prominent than the T90 and bass is fuller with more impact. Choosing between the 2 I don't see why I wouldn't choose the T1 every time. It's my favorite full-size can.

Thanks for replying 
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the DT 770 as a closed headphone. Everytime I put them on I'm amazed at how good they are at the price and how airy they sound despite being closed-back. It's good to know that the T90 has better bass. To my ears, I think the DT 770 has slightly better bass than my HD 600, but I could be imagining things. I mostly use the DT 770 for portable use.

I think I've decided to skip the T1 for now. It was never really the flagship I was very interested in and I don't think it would be wise for me to drop the money on them simply because they're lower in price right now. I would like to try them sometime though - just like I'd love to try the HD 800 etc.

I'm liking what I read about the T1 in a lot of reviews, but it sounds like they're more similar to the HD 600 (natural sounding, warm? etc.) than the T90 is and as such, they would probably be more likely to replace my HD 600 (which I am not prepared to do 
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Right now I'm just worried about the T90 being "too bright" and sounding "tinny". I really appreciate the extra treble in my DT 770 sometimes, though, but usually prefer not using closed headphones when I don't have to.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #2,829 of 4,487
T90 + Valhalla 2 ? Anyone heard this pairing? 
I plan to upgrade from matrix m-stage. 
Any other amp to consider in that price range? (400$)

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #2,830 of 4,487
Yeah I love my 770s too ^_^ They are probably the can that will stick with me the longest. They're a decades-old studio standard and mine (32 AE) sound good out of just about anything.

I like my T90s, but I've been considering selling them because if I'm honest with myself, I really do want more bass than they provide. Always been curious about the DT990, but I might just say *****it and sell them along with my 650 and get an HD700 or T1.

Quote:
  Thanks for replying 
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the DT 770 as a closed headphone. Everytime I put them on I'm amazed at how good they are at the price and how airy they sound despite being closed-back. It's good to know that the T90 has better bass. To my ears, I think the DT 770 has slightly better bass than my HD 600, but I could be imagining things. I mostly use the DT 770 for portable use.

I think I've decided to skip the T1 for now. It was never really the flagship I was very interested in and I don't think it would be wise for me to drop the money on them simply because they're lower in price right now. I would like to try them sometime though - just like I'd love to try the HD 800 etc.

I'm liking what I read about the T1 in a lot of reviews, but it sounds like they're more similar to the HD 600 (natural sounding, warm? etc.) than the T90 is and as such, they would probably be more likely to replace my HD 600 (which I am not prepared to do 
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Right now I'm just worried about the T90 being "too bright" and sounding "tinny". I really appreciate the extra treble in my DT 770 sometimes, though, but usually prefer not using closed headphones when I don't have to.

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,831 of 4,487
Quote:

You want to sell your T90 because you're longing for more bass, but you consider the T1 to settle with? Does not make sense to me
wink.gif

Other than that, as an input, I really enjoyed both the T90 and T1 and settled with the T1. Most apparent differences were the (to me) much more comfortable headband and 'easier to listen to'. The T90 can be fatiguing, but they're also so enjoyable with songs like Wicked Games.. here I kinda miss the treble- and bass-focus of the T90.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,832 of 4,487
Interesting, you found the T90 to have more bass than the T1?
You want to sell your T90 because you're longing for more bass, but you consider the T1 to settle with? Does not make sense to me :wink:

Other than that, as an input, I really enjoyed both the T90 and T1 and settled with the T1. Most apparent differences were the (to me) much more comfortable headband and 'easier to listen to'. The T90 can be fatiguing, but they're also so enjoyable with songs like Wicked Games.. here I kinda miss the treble- and bass-focus of the T90.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #2,833 of 4,487
Interesting, you found the T90 to have more bass than the T1?

Definitely more quantity. I find the T1 to be between DT-880 and T90 in terms of bass and treble quantity, much like the FR graphs suggest. With the T90 you'd get that bass punch and ultra prominent treble whereas the T1 is more lean and better for turning the volume up.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,834 of 4,487
I've been thinking about the DT 990 as well, although the T90 seems more appealing to me, but it's also almost twice the price. I'd be getting them from Thomann which does have a 30 day return period, though. Are there any of you who have spent time with both the DT 990 and T90 and feel like sharing their thoughts?

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2,835 of 4,487
  I've been thinking about the DT 990 as well, although the T90 seems more appealing to me, but it's also almost twice the price. I'd be getting them from Thomann which does have a 30 day return period, though. Are there any of you who have spent time with both the DT 990 and T90 and feel like sharing their thoughts?

I have yet to hear the T90... but the DT990 is a headphone that very few people enjoy. I owned it for a few months and sold it on, not the best sounding phone for the price. If you are really interested in it, have a listen, only your ears can decide :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back