Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,266 of 4,487
Most definitely, point of diminishing returns sound-wise is far below 1500,- for amps...
Going above ~500,- may be reasonable when considering the whole package. The Phonitor is a prime example of that: sound alone I'm shure is indistinguishable between Mini and 2, while the bigger one offers some features that might be useful/necessary. In case of the A2 vs. A20 I preferred the discrete design and non-switching power supply -- I'm an electrical engineer and value these things per se. I don't think there is a 3-fold increase in sound quality though... if only the A20 had the switch to change output impedance. Not that I use it regularly though, I use all low-impedance headphones with the Phonitor.

Regarding headphones it might be more debatable... while I like the T90 (otherwise I would not own both standard and Jubilee :wink: the T1 is just that bit finer in resolution, has softer treble that nevertheless shows more than the T90. Of course that may in part be a different preference, but once again the whole package is what intrigues me. And its a rather affordable flagship...

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,267 of 4,487
  Its amazing on how people still think they have to spend a lot of money on an amp for a set of headphones based on the cost.....

You can have world class transparent sound with a modest sum spent on the amp and dac and cans......

A.

O2+ODAC or the Bushmaster. Add in a linear PSU and you're set to go imo. Neutrality and transparency are tough to review lol... adds little close to nothing to the sound. Leave the words for the music 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2,268 of 4,487
  Yes, I do own an A2 (besides the Phonitor 2 and an A8 :wink: but I bought it to complement my T1 -- a combination I really love and use most of the time I listen to music at home.

The A2 switched to 100Ohm output impedance drives the T90 just beautifully. I just pulled my T90 Jubilee and am astounded at the amount of deep bass this headphone is able to put out (without EQ of course). I've heard the A20 in several occasions and liked it quite a bit with the midrange Beyerdynamic headphones (T70, T90) -- which is why I'd recommend either that or the Phonitor Mini when in search for SS amps for the T90.

I'm seriosuly considering now the A20, it's price is acceptable for what it does and I might be able to do an A/B with a BCL and make up my mind after. Is there a big difference between the A2 and the A20 sounds wise (going for a better PSU in A2 I can understand)?

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #2,269 of 4,487
I'm seriosuly considering now the A20, it's price is acceptable for what it does and I might be able to do an A/B with a BCL and make up my mind after. Is there a big difference between the A2 and the A20 sounds wise (going for a better PSU in A2 I can understand)?

I have tried the beyerdynamic A2, it is very smooth (Tube like) and it has wonderful instrumental separation. Most importantly it cause the beyer headphones(T90 and T1)to be less bright thus it is not harsh to the ears. However, when compared to Lehmann audio BCL, the A2 lack in both detail and imaging thus it may not sound as engaging as the BCL amplifier. It is all up to your own choice.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,270 of 4,487
However, when compared to Lehmann audio BCL, the A2 lack in both detail and imaging thus it may not sound as engaging as the BCL amplifier.

I see the A2 not lacking in either detail or imaging and I find nothing specifically tube-like in its sound... And I think above ~500,- well done solid state amps don't have any fatal flaws. There are models though that color the sound -- which is actually a flaw.

So while I did not compare the A2 to the A20 head to head I'd not expect major differences in sound quality. As I said above, I honor the A2's discrete circuit design, the non-switching power supply, its switchable output impedance and its nice box. Other than that the A20 would be enough... and its a perfect fit to the T90.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #2,272 of 4,487
  Can people redirect me to a tube amp that will make my T90's sing? I need something that won't break the bank unless it is really worth then I don't mind saving up. I would also like something that has a pass through so I can still use my PC speakers on the unit. 

I'm getting my T90 Jubilee in two days.  UPS is so slow...  Will let you know which of the Woo Audio amps sounds best with it.

I have tried the beyerdynamic A2, it is very smooth (Tube like) and it has wonderful instrumental separation. Most importantly it cause the beyer headphones(T90 and T1)to be less bright thus it is not harsh to the ears. However, when compared to Lehmann audio BCL, the A2 lack in both detail and imaging thus it may not sound as engaging as the BCL amplifier. It is all up to your own choice.

That is very interesting.  I love the Lehmann Linear so much I have two here.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,273 of 4,487

I'm getting my T90 Jubilee in two days.  UPS is so slow...  Will let you know which of the Woo Audio amps sounds best with it.

That is very interesting.  I love the Lehmann Linear so much I have two here.

I hope you'll post impressions on the Lehmann + T90... started looking into Lehmann amps and would use them with either T90 or T1. Do you have the Linear or the Linear SE? The Linear USB got a very positive review on audio360, which sparked my interest.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,277 of 4,487
My T90s arrived yesterday, and I'm completely blown away. Best cans I've ever heard! 
dt880smile.png
 So far I've found my acoustic recordings (Avett Brothers especially) to sound the best on them... I feel like I'm rediscovering all my music with the clarity these have! 

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,280 of 4,487
  I have just ordered a new pair of T90's and am itching to hear the difference from my DT 990 600ohm.  

lol, when i was choosing my first expensive headphones, the first i tried was DT990 (32ohm), i felt in love immediately after hearing its beautiful bass (can't remember the song, but I think it was depeche mode song). 
But a bit later, after reading reviews about DT990 treble (it was too sizzle for me, like damaged), i decided to move to other ones. Tried various AKG, ATH and Beyers - choosed T90 (which seemed to me very similar to DT990, but with a bit less bass and more.. understandable, better/higher resolution treble).
And I was always thinking if it was a good decision, but after about a half year I got a chance to compare T90 vs DT990 again. 
And what do you think? I was shocked a bit :)) I even asked the sales man, is it the same (DT990) headphones? lol
T90 at first was very similar, just too similar to pay that price. But now, it looks more detail, refined, and better headphones... and the bass almost as good as DT990 (DT has still more pronounced bass).
This is my impressions after spending some time with T90, compared with DT990. 
Whats yours? :))))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back