Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,472 of 4,487
Not sure if the t90 will like the fiio.....they really need a good chain or source but they are worth a try. The he-500 which I also owned and sold are power hungry and need a fair bit of amping to peform.

On the right chain the t90 is in a different league to the he500 as far as detail and imaging is concerned

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,473 of 4,487
That's helpful to know. Truth is, you're not going to hear anywhere near what either the HE-500 or T90 are capable of with the e10. I've never heard one, but assuming it's sonically close to what it should be in its price range - it's not going to get the best out of either. Given the 250Ohm impedance of the T90, your e10 will probably drive the HE-500 a little better. 

Assuming you're new to the high end audio (which could be a wrong assumption. post counts don't really mean much), you'll want to start building your chain from source out. You'll get the biggest gains from upgrading your DAC, then your amp, then your headphones. Of course, this assumes a pair of headphones that are at least able to render the improvement :) Either one of these headphones would be good to build a great mid-fi system around. Whichever you choose, you'll want to definitely upgrade your DAC, and then choose an amp with the 'swing'/drive to really wake up your headphones.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,474 of 4,487
In other forums the people say, buy first the Headphone and after that a dac+amp combi. Also, many say that the Fiio E10 is sufficient and the 
O2+ODAC ​
does not improve much (and this forum should be a bit "esoteric", but i dont think so)

But i think the t90s are a good choice, but i dont understand why the he-500s costs 350$ more. Built quality is not as good as the t90 and beyerdynamic has a Parts warranty (20 yrs) quite nice :D

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,476 of 4,487
  In other forums the people say, buy first the Headphone and after that a dac+amp combi. Also, many say that the Fiio E10 is sufficient and the 
O2+ODAC ​
does not improve much (and this forum should be a bit "esoteric", but i dont think so)

But i think the t90s are a good choice, but i dont understand why the he-500s costs 350$ more. Built quality is not as good as the t90 and beyerdynamic has a Parts warranty (20 yrs) quite nice :D

Yea, a lot of people say a lot of things (including of course, me!). I try to share only what I've experience, and then with the humble realization that each of our experiences are different. So many variables at play with audio (up to and including your hearing, shape of your ears, etc.), It's always amazing to me when others are comfortable with making global definitive statements. Ah well, it's a hobby I love, but in the end just a hobby. 

For me, the T90 is definitely a better buy. But the big 'BUTT' around that statement is, in my chains (DACs & amps) and my ears (which at 56 start rolling above 14khz). I've owned a lot of headphones (HE-6, HE-5, HE-500, LCDv2, Denon 2K, DT-990 600Ohm Senn 650, Senn 600, T1, etc.) and since owning the T90 (I own 2, bought a second) and tuning my chain for them - I'm content. I don't say that easily, and make no promises I'll be content 3-6months from now, but yea - I really think the T90 with the right chain is a fantastic sounding, very open, awesome imaging, very comfortable, well made headphone.

But I will stress - to get the best out a headphone with 250Ohm or higher impedance, you'll usually want an amp designed for high impedance headphones. There are a few exceptions to that rule, but it's mostly true. For a great starter system, I'd get a Schitt Vali for my amp, and if you can get one, buy an assembled pupDAC. The Schiit Modi would be my second choice. for less than $750, you could have quite the little system.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,477 of 4,487
I don't think the t90 is a slouch on cheaper chains. Coming out of my rockbox'd Ipod and going into my Fiio E12 Mont Blanc it sounds quite good! Sure, it sounds better coming out of my Asgard 2 - much airier and more spacious with better imaging, but it still has that unmistakable t90 sound coming from my mobile system. I wouldn't stray from the t90 just because you have a budget chain.

I've included a picture for no reason!

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,480 of 4,487
Yea, that's what I found and why I frame it the way I did. As good as you think it sounds with an entry level rig, just wait till you hear them with better. They respond very well to chain improvements - assuming the amp is good with high impedance cans; which the WA6 definitely is!

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,481 of 4,487
  The HE-500 is a good set of cans - I owned a pair for quite awhile. I don't agree re: it being better resolving. With a good chain, the T90 is very, very resolving. My HE-500 days had me using a different chain, but good stuff too and I remember the HE-500 being slightly less resolving.

Agree about the 'ortho' bass; It's hard to beat the tightness and slam that ortho's can bring in the lower registers. Th T90 is pretty good there too, a little looser, a little less impact. Overall I prefer the T90 because the imaging is miles ahead of the HE-500.

can you please further describe the sound/head stage between the HE-500 and T-90,especially in regards to the width and not just imaging(height and depth). given that you were driving both through good equipment,i'd be very interested.

those who seem to have good judgment and fair reviewing(as opposed to hyperbole and fanboyism) say that the planar magnetics have good(excellent,actually) imaging but that the width of the sound/head stage is short,small or much closer in. in other words,if the sound stage were to be given a physical shape,the PMs would be a flat disc or circle while a good,open dynamic driver HP would be more of an oval or cylinder(basically a circle extended outward) that has much more width.

did you find this true?  (i'm interested in the HE-4 which is said to have a wider sound stage compared to the HE-500 and others but i'm thinking this is a matter of degrees and not a direct comparison to something like a beyer T90 or even my AD900X).

thanks.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,482 of 4,487

can you please further describe the sound/head stage between the HE-500 and T-90,especially in regards to the width and not just imaging(height and depth). given that you were driving both through good equipment,i'd be very interested.

those who seem to have good judgment and fair reviewing(as opposed to hyperbole and fanboyism) say that the planar magnetics have good(excellent,actually) imaging but that the width of the sound/head stage is short,small or much closer in. in other words,if the sound stage were to be given a physical shape,the PMs would be a flat disc or circle while a good,open dynamic driver HP would be more of an oval or cylinder(basically a circle extended outward) that has much more width.

did you find this true?  (i'm interested in the HE-4 which is said to have a wider sound stage compared to the HE-500 and others but i'm thinking this is a matter of degrees and not a direct comparison to something like a beyer T90 or even my AD900X).

thanks.

Can't speak to the HE-500, as I've never heard them, but I own the HE-400, and while I find that the HE-400 has a decently deep stage, the sound feels like it's coming from the end of a long, metallic storm drain. That said, I love the HE-400, and this staging issue can be mitigated by swapping out the stock pleather pads for the velours. However, the t90 beats it on stage in my opinion. More multidimensional and realistic.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,483 of 4,487
Separation and stereo imaging is very good with the HE-* in general (Actually, Ortho's in general). Playing Amber Rubarth's Binaural album; with the HE-500 I can tell which side a vocal or instrument is coming from, and when it tends toward the front or the rear. Front/rear location is fairly strong too, but it doesn't bring much sense of depth to it. Any information about the vertical plane is largely absent though. With the T90's I can target a vocal or instrument to the degree it's on, horizontally or vertically. Further, there's a much stronger focus and sense of space to each located track. All of which brings the T90's (T1's and HD800's have this too) to a closer sense of listening live, or at least to a good speaker setup. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,484 of 4,487
Currently loving Hiss Golden Messenger - Haw through these headphones. 

hiss-golden-messenger-haw.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back