Beyerdynamic T70
Dec 30, 2011 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, this is a somewhat simple question - 

What gives with the bass response on the T70?

I've had them for a bit over a week now, and while I find the overall SQ very good, in most situations I find my MDR-F1 to produce more bass (I am not exaggerating here). The FR charts from Inner-Fidelity disagree with that; the K701 should have substantially less bass (and the K701 has more bass impact than the F1). If I press them inwards toward my head, there is more bass, but it also muddies up the mid-bass, and they still don't have impact that would agree with their FR chart.

So what gives? Is this just how the T70 is? Am I doing something wrong? 

And they aren't even in the realm of comparing with any of the "bassy closed headphones" I've had or have presently - even when pushed up against my head, with EQ, and so on. 

I've read about seal issues, but I'm skeptical - another headphone that I've read about (but never experienced) having seal issues is the W5000; and most reviews contend that if you push the cups onto your noggin you'll hear "what should be heard." So I assume that pressed up to my head, that would eliminate any potential seal issues - with headphones that I know don't have seal problems (like the F1), there's no change if pushed against up the head. With the T70, as described above, it just muddies up a bit, and you can hear some extension. Otherwise, they sound like they're rolling off at around 200hz. 

Reason for this question: if this is just "the way it is" - they're going back in the box!

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 26

Quote:
Alright, this is a somewhat simple question - 

What gives with the bass response on the T70?

I've had them for a bit over a week now, and while I find the overall SQ very good, in most situations I find my MDR-F1 to produce more bass (I am not exaggerating here). The FR charts from Inner-Fidelity disagree with that; the K701 should have substantially less bass (and the K701 has more bass impact than the F1). If I press them inwards toward my head, there is more bass, but it also muddies up the mid-bass, and they still don't have impact that would agree with their FR chart.

So what gives? Is this just how the T70 is? Am I doing something wrong? 

And they aren't even in the realm of comparing with any of the "bassy closed headphones" I've had or have presently - even when pushed up against my head, with EQ, and so on. 

I've read about seal issues, but I'm skeptical - another headphone that I've read about (but never experienced) having seal issues is the W5000; and most reviews contend that if you push the cups onto your noggin you'll hear "what should be heard." So I assume that pressed up to my head, that would eliminate any potential seal issues - with headphones that I know don't have seal problems (like the F1), there's no change if pushed against up the head. With the T70, as described above, it just muddies up a bit, and you can hear some extension. Otherwise, they sound like they're rolling off at around 200hz. 

Reason for this question: if this is just "the way it is" - they're going back in the box!

I'm super curious about this as well. Does anyone other than me have the T 70p? I've never heard bass this good before. Its deep, extends well, and melts my face when appropriate. I'm a bit of a bass head, and these phones have been unmatched to my ears. It has much more "quality" than "quantity", but still enough bass that you feel it as well as hear it. I wonder if theres a major difference in the portable version? I just don't understand all the bass-hate towards these phones. The seal was a problem with me because I wear glasses, but when I took my glasses off, the bass was superb. I remedied this by buying the Beyer Gel pads, and no I enjoy greater isolation, comfort, and most of all bass. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 26
That's interesting. I know the T70p lacks the >600 ohm impedance spike, so perhaps that's it (but I've never had this amplifier choke on 200-300 ohm nominal headphones in the past, and according to IF these things are supposed to be sensitive enough to pick up a sneeze in the next county). I agree that the bass is good (but I wouldn't go so far as "best ever"), when it's there, but that's the question most of the time. It seems like it's gotten progressively worse on my set, so I'm wondering if something isn't wrong. Anyways, I don't really have the patience/tolerance to deal with it (basically, I don't want to fiddle around with "fixing" whatever problem may exist within my pair or the T70 design) - so they're going back to the retailer. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 26
Yeah that makes sense, I'd do the same thing in your situation. You shouldn't have to do much of anything with your headphones to get them to sound the way they're supposed to. I just think its odd with all the polarized opinions about these headphones. Maybe my idea of bass is someone else's idea of no bass...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 26
Yeah, I find them quite polarizing (and normally I'm not so "opinionated" about a 'phone - if it's comfortable and sounds good, it's "good" - I'm easy). Regarding "ArcKade's idea of bass is someone else's idea of no bass" - when I say the MDR-F1 produces more bass impact, that's saying something. If you're unfamiliar with the MDR-F1, they're about as open as an open headphone can get while still being a headphone (I would put the AKG K1000 as the next "step"). I've never actually heard a headphone with less bass than the F1, except for the T70 now. That startles me. The T70p (and T5p for that matter) are interesting due to the lower impedance, but I'm kind of trigger-shy about another Beyerdynamic at this moment (essentially: "if this is what their $670 effort is...").

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 26
Yikes! Thats crazy. That would sound like a defective unit to me. Beyer phones come with 2 year parts & warranty, but I suppose you might as well return them. If its feasible, I'd try the T 70p, but only if you could do it risk free. (Such as a good return policy or store demo) I've never been happier with a pair of headphones, and the majority of my music is electronic, so bass is important. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
Good thing there's the DT770 for bassheads. Discontinued but still available at various stores.

The Pro versions (80 and 250 Ohm) are not discontinued, and bassheads may prefer those anyway.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
I know the T70p lacks the >600 ohm impedance spike, so perhaps that's it

Having an impedance spike in the bass range actually increases bass, but only if the output impedance of the source is not much lower than that of the headphone. The T70p has the same peak relative to its lower impedance, so with the same equipment it is more likely to turn into a bass boost due to a low damping factor. According to the InnerFidelity graphs, the T70p also has about 2 dB more bass overall under 80 Hz than the T70, but that could be just random measurement error.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 26

It neither extended nor boomed after the first day or two. Nothing below 200hz existed. Again, "less bass impact and extension than the MDR-F1" should be a pretty dramatic statement (I'm thinking very few people posting here have an idea of what the MDR-F1 are though (perhaps this will give some perspective: the MDR-SA5000 is "bassier")). I know; it's hard to read about a "flaw" in a product you enjoy (and I'm not trying to bash the T70) - I'm skeptical that these were working within specification though (especially since, right out of the box, I would've agreed with most of the responses in this thread).
Quote:
I've got the T70p and love them. Bass impact is definitely on the lighter side but it extends DEEP! If boom is what you're after the T70 or T70p is not for you.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 26
My T70 has better low freq. extention than my other non bassy headphones I had like K701, DT880 and HD600. In terms of bass quantity, it has around the same amount of bass as those mentioned.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 26

Hi, Gurlz&Boyz,

These are my new leather earpads 4 my Beyer T-70ies. Much more comfy then the thin original fabric ones.

Leather earpads give move comfort and better fit. But my head still hurts from the cheap headband ....

Now ordered a leather headband from aviation headset ...

Hope this will improve comfort now. Will keep you posted with new pics. 

Budget now over 575 $ ...

May 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 26
http://www.cnet.de/digital-lifestyle/kaufberatung/41558043/page/6/sieben_kopfhoerer_der_spitzenklasse_vergleichstest_von_900_bis_3000_euro.htm

Very nice review, why bother to buy a T1 if you can enjoy the T-70 for half the price !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back