Beyerdynamic T5p vs Ultrasone Signature Pro?
Oct 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:
If you are going to do some gaming, the Signature Pro's soundstage might affect you (it's definitely not the best). Regarding comfort, as others have mentioned, it's not the best either. The leather feels good and the clamping force is not SUPER hard but it still feels a bit uncomfortable...

I haven't tried the Beyers so, not sure about those.

These days I'm recommending the Mad Dogs from MrSpeakers to every one... BUT, the need a decent amp to be properly driven...

I've read a review that said the Sig pros soundstage is bigger than the Grado GS1000i's soundstage, which is impressive. Maybe the soundstage wasn't big because the S-logic didn't work with your ears, and maybe it won't work with mine. I seriously need to try it out before buying it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 54
Hello, sorry for not posting for some time. So here's my impressions about T5p compared to Signature Pro.

I've compared Sig pros with the T5p and I find that for me Sig pros sound is definitely more suitable in every genre than the T5p.
My main complaint for the T5p sound is that it tries to mimic the sound of an open can, but ultimately fails in it. It does not lack deep bass, but the mid bass section and lower end of the mid range is recessed. As I see it is done on purpose so that the sound would seem much airy and the listener would get an idea of listening to music in an open space. As a result the music lacks weight, body, it seems like the significant part of the music has been washed away. In my opinion it does not suit well for rock or other hard genres.

On the other side - if you manage to accustom your ears to the sound of the T5p it might get you the feeling of an open can or music playing in the open space. It also has wider sound stage than the Signature Pro and it is much more comfortable.

But if you looking for the can that can play rock well I'd suggest buying Sig Pros.

Alternatively you can try Denon D7100. I've managed to listen to it for an hour or so and I think it's a great headphone. It is extremely comfortable, it has the detail and mid range of the Signature Pro, sound stage of the Beyer T5p, and bass of the Denon D7000, which I find almost perfect. It does not have the solid build of the Signature pro though. So if you are to consider them then you have to keep in mind that you'll have to sacrifice some portability with it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 54
Interesting thread, will keep an eye here. Will shortly be getting the Sig Pros and keen to see how they compare to my T5p and Ed8 for rock and metal, which is also what I spend most of my time listening to. Between the T5p and the Ed8 it is easily the T5p for me for those genres, although it seems like the Sig Pros are quite different in their sound as compared to the Ed8. I was interested that my brother, a drummer (I play guitar), when listening to both T5p and Ed8 strongly preferred the T5p also (I hadn't let him know which I liked best, was just like 'Hey, check out these cans!").

In relation to sound stage I doubt the Sig Pros outdo the GS1000i, which I also have. That sounds like review hyperbole to me. 

Anyways, when I get the Sig Pros I will post up some thoughts. I hope to prefer them to my T5p for rock and metal since they're more portable, but have some hesitancy on the comfort front from a number of comments I've seen (the T5p are very comfy).

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 54
I have tried them both.

The Sig Pro sounded to me a bit like HD650 - well rounded but a bit dark. They were maybe not as much uncomfortable as annoying to wear, with the ear cups too small. Felt a bit flimsy.

I ended up getting the T5p, which are very comfortable and sound quite precise and transparent, with pretty good soundstage while isolating very well. The bass is not prominent in quantity, but has very good quality. Mids tend to sound a bit metallic when not amped properly, but they really shine on a good tube amp. Highs have a spike around 8kHz (which may cause a bit of sibilance), but above that frequency they roll off quite a bit.

I only got them a few weeks ago to be my away-from-home headphone, and a couple of days later went overseas where I'm stuck for now, using them without any amp. I find them fantastic for movies and vocals, pretty good for classical and rock, but instrumental jazz on them does not sound right to me. They seem to improve with time, but maybe it's my hearing getting used to them. 

The opinions on the T5p sound seem to vary quite radically. I wonder if this is because of sample variations or is it purely due to how sensitive they are to the amp characteristics? Has anyone tried more than one pair?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:
In relation to sound stage I doubt the Sig Pros outdo the GS1000i, which I also have. That sounds like review hyperbole to me. 

+1

Waiting for your impressions on them. I still think that the Sig Pros might be the best cans I currently have right now!

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 54
Have not tried those Grados. Sorry.
But HOPEFULLY they will not be as "sharp"/"ear piercing" as the lower series (SR60/80/325/etc...). If they are, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them... (they give me headaches even at low volume! :wink:)

My "+1" was for the "review hyperbole" portion of the statement. LOL

But maybe NZtechfreak might provide more info.

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 54
Yikes, I hate thin sounding headphones without much body, I'm definately avoiding the T5p, signature pro it is.

There's something that confuses me about it though, I can't get a clear idea of what it's bass sounds like. Some people say it's bass it has more impact than the LCD-2's bass, others say it is bass light, others say it is neutral. Can anyone describe the sig pro's bass?

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 54
I do not find the T5p thin at all, I hate thin sounds as much as anyone else (as a guitarist probably more than most).

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:
I do not find the T5p thin at all, I hate thin sounds as much as anyone else (as a guitarist probably more than most).

Do you find them analytical or cold due to the lack of bass? They don't seem to be as musical as the signature pro from what I've read, but I don't want to judge something I didn't listen to yet.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 54
I don't find them cold or analytical (I'm often a fairly analytical listener though, so my own listening bias would come into play in that assessment).

I really don't find the bass particularly lacking either, certainly it is less in quantity than other headphones, but the quality is superb. That is a really subjective area though, and I think the consensus opinion clearly overrules my own impression there.

I don't find them lacking in musicality, listening via my HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp from my Galaxy S3 I absolutely love the sound (main portable rig where I do most of my T5p listening). Some tracks like Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins literally make the hairs on my neck stand up when I listen through that setup. There may be a degree of synergy happening there though, since the Pico is regarded as having a warm "tubey" kind of sound. In my early listening impressions with the RSA Intruder I like some tracks like Cherub Rock less via the T5p when fed by the Intruder, which seems to reinforce for me that there is synergy with the Pico. I'm using USB audio, so using both the DAC and amp in the Pico and Intruder. Should probably repeat A/B comparisons using just the amp to see how much the respective DACs are contributing to that difference.

(the Intruder sounds freaking awesome too, don't get me wrong, just my very early impression that for some stuff I think I prefer the Pico with the T5p)

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 54
OK, ordering Sig Pros today, will be able to give some feedback early next week (ish, depending on shipping).

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 54
Quote:
Have not tried those Grados. Sorry.
But HOPEFULLY they will not be as "sharp"/"ear piercing" as the lower series (SR60/80/325/etc...). If they are, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them... (they give me headaches even at low volume! :wink:)

My "+1" was for the "review hyperbole" portion of the statement. LOL

But maybe NZtechfreak might provide more info.

Thanks.

just wanted to know what other people think.  i have both they're just too different so i don't think one is better than the other one.  thanks

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #29 of 54
Love my GS1000i, I expect like you I will simply find the Sig Pro a different kind of good.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 54
So, got the Sig Pros today.

Early impression easily in favour of the T5p for metal particularly, but more time needed. 

So far tracks I have compared:

Tool - Forty Six & 2: The intro has some great delicate drumming from Danny Carey with a variety of splash cymbals, occasionally strikes them from underneath also. I think the Sig Pros imaged these better and have a wider soundstage to place instruments in, and so they sounded more well articulated there. Besides that preferred the T5p for this track.

Pantera - 13 Steps To Nowhere, Throes of Rejection: Two tracks I like to listen to to zero in on drum sounds in their respective intros (also bass guitar sound in the latter). T5p easily outgoing the Sig Pros to my ears here, with a much tighter sound.

Guns N Roses - Right Next Door to Hell: Primarily listening to the thundering bass line in the intro, but also listening for the characteristic sound of distortion of the Gibson guitars/Marshall amps (I formerly owned a Marshall Stack and Les Paul, now have a more modest guitar set up since I was never good enough to deserve the LP/Marshall pairing). Again easily prefer the T5p.

In all tracks prefer how guitars sound on the T5p, more forward and aggressive (as they should be), guitars on the Sig Pro sound polite and lack bite in comparison.

Lots more listening to do obviously, and the Sig Pros may improve of course (if you believe in burn-in that is, certainly I believe in brain burn-in, so as I get more acclimatised to how the Sig Pro present sound they may go up in my estimation).

Hope this helps, perhaps the OP has some reference tracks in mind that I could A/B also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back