beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Sep 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,007 of 1,963
  That looks beautiful!  Did you recable yourself?

Yes I did. I probably wouldn't dare if all was OK but first the plug started playing up, then I started getting crackling noises from the cable itself - something had to be done.
I got a couple of mini XLR connectors - all up $12. The cable is an old 3.5mm to 2xRCA that I already had - just replaced the RCA connectors with mini XLR. The trickiest part was taking the headphones apart, as the drivers sit in very tight. I couldn't even see any gap with a naked eye! 
The original cable openings had to be widened with dremel to fit the mini XLR sockets - there is enough space inside, but just: I had to glue them in, as the nut wouldn't fit. 
While there I have padded the inside with a soft foam, as the earcups have no padding whatsoever and the sound bounces off a plastic surface. Not sure if it's a real difference or placebo, but they seem to sound even better now: mids are a bit smoother and the imaging more precise. Hard to tell for sure without being able to compare.
I'm still in the market for a decent cable, but my preference would be to get it raw and finish it myself. I don't expect any sonic miracles out of that - just improved looks and ergonomics.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,008 of 1,963
I've had the T5p's for about two months now. They are a massive step forward from what I had, and I'm very happy. The only thing that bothered me (slightly) were the higher pitched vocals, primarily in female voices. They seemed too aggressive. 

I just got the iFi iDac, and it really helped to tame the harshness. Success!

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,009 of 1,963
What bit rates are you listening at? The T5P's are open windows and are often criticized for things that are problems elsewhere! The seek and destroy compression! :D

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,010 of 1,963
24/88, 24/96, and 24/192 mostly HDtracks. What I was referring to earlier was from a 24/88 album. 

Yeah, they are "open windows" and my once beloved iTunes library has been collecting dust for a while now. I'm feeding the T5p's the best I can for now: MBPr > HDtracks > Audirvana+ >iFi iDac. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,011 of 1,963
Excellent, so great to see someone taking care of what quality is being fed to the chain. My only other thought is how many hours on yours do you have?

Of all the headphones I have used over the years the T5P's have benefited the most from a good long burn in. I found everything really came on song around the 350 hour mark. I have had no other headphone that has required such a lengthy burn in but these are worth the effort I feel as they really open up.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,012 of 1,963
I'll have to estimate here, but I'm thinking >150 but <200 hours. Being my first pair of proper headphones, it took me at least 50 hours to get used to the neutrality, and I waited until yesterday to give my first impressions so they wouldn't be biased by my old lesser headphones, gear, etc. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,013 of 1,963
I have had my T5p for more than a year now, and it has fully opened up.

What I must say is that these headphones have huge potentials. I was a headphone newbie but I went straight for the best without wasting money upgrading from "entry-level". Initially I just used it with a plain iPod touch driving the T5p, but then over time, I added portable amp, DAC, desktop amp, quality interconnects, quality USB cables, playing software, ifi iUSB Power, more quality USB cables, and each step of the upgrade I can clearly hear improvements. Think back when I was only using the iPod touch, it was maybe only utilizing 40% of the T5p's potential, but the sound was already quite pleasant. Now with all the upgrades I've put in, I'm finally feeling that I'm doing the T5p justice, but still think that there's an extra 10% to be unleashed. But as everything in high end audio, rules of diminishing returns will dictate how much more money I am willing to spend to get that last bit of performance out of the T5p, before it starts to make no economic sense.

I am quite happy with the T5p, as most criticisms of it being too "bright" or "bass light" are unjustified, if people don't understand that it takes some quality source and each component in the chain to be up to snuff to really give T5p justice. If I were to only use an iDevice or even just add a portable amp to drive the T5p, maybe the T5p can be labeled "bass light". But from my own experience, the biggest jump in bass quantity and quality was the addition of the ifi iUSB Power between my DAC and computer. This has really taken the performance to another level. Now I would not ever call the T5p bright or bass light.

Perhaps my next upgrade would be to add some grounding noise management device to my desktop amp, to see if further improvements can be found. Without naming particular manufacturers, lately grounding units have become all the rage in my neck of the woods, and I'll have to try them for myself to see what they are like. But I'm sure the T5p will be faithful enough to tell me if these made a difference or not.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #1,014 of 1,963

Yes I did. I probably wouldn't dare if all was OK but first the plug started playing up, then I started getting crackling noises from the cable itself - something had to be done.
I got a couple of mini XLR connectors - all up $12. The cable is an old 3.5mm to 2xRCA that I already had - just replaced the RCA connectors with mini XLR. The trickiest part was taking the headphones apart, as the drivers sit in very tight. I couldn't even see any gap with a naked eye! 
The original cable openings had to be widened with dremel to fit the mini XLR sockets - there is enough space inside, but just: I had to glue them in, as the nut wouldn't fit. 
While there I have padded the inside with a soft foam, as the earcups have no padding whatsoever and the sound bounces off a plastic surface. Not sure if it's a real difference or placebo, but they seem to sound even better now: mids are a bit smoother and the imaging more precise. Hard to tell for sure without being able to compare.
I'm still in the market for a decent cable, but my preference would be to get it raw and finish it myself. I don't expect any sonic miracles out of that - just improved looks and ergonomics.

Great job. I'm thinking of doing the cable mod, just wonder if there is enough room to fit the Senn HD800 connectors (
http://www.aloaudio.com/hd800-female-socket-panel-mount-connector-sold-in-pairs) instead of the mini XLRs. It will be great that I can switch different cables to match with different equipments for the sound signature I prefer.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #1,015 of 1,963

Great job. I'm thinking of doing the cable mod, just wonder if there is enough room to fit the Senn HD800 connectors (
http://www.aloaudio.com/hd800-female-socket-panel-mount-connector-sold-in-pairs) instead of the mini XLRs. It will be great that I can switch different cables to match with different equipments for the sound signature I prefer.

They look very similar to the mini XLR, but it's hard to gauge the dimensions. The length is not an issue, but the diameter is important. Knowing the size of both mini XLR and the HD800 connectors, I reckon the latter may be smaller. This could be an issue, as the holes after removing the original cable holders are quite large - you could end up having gaps. Mine are just barely covered by the sockets' collars...
On the other hand I like the idea of having cables swappable between headphones and it may be worth the trouble. Good luck with your project and make sure to show us the results!

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #1,016 of 1,963
[...] The original cable openings had to be widened with dremel to fit the mini XLR sockets - there is enough space inside, but just: I had to glue them in, as the nut wouldn't fit. [...]

[...] The length is not an issue, but the diameter is important. Knowing the size of both mini XLR and the HD800 connectors, I reckon the latter may be smaller. This could be an issue, as the holes after removing the original cable holders are quite large - you could end up having gaps. Mine are just barely covered by the sockets' collars... [...]

I was puzzled about this, which may seem like a contradiction.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,018 of 1,963

They look very similar to the mini XLR, but it's hard to gauge the dimensions. The length is not an issue, but the diameter is important. Knowing the size of both mini XLR and the HD800 connectors, I reckon the latter may be smaller. This could be an issue, as the holes after removing the original cable holders are quite large - you could end up having gaps. Mine are just barely covered by the sockets' collars...
On the other hand I like the idea of having cables swappable between headphones and it may be worth the trouble. Good luck with your project and make sure to show us the results!

Thanks for the pointers. I was at Jaben yesterday and saw a modded T1/T5P with mini XLR with a plastic housing for the connectors.  

I'll probably go this route if connector sizing is an issue.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,019 of 1,963
Btw, just bought an ALO Continental V3 to pair with the T5P on the go. To these ears, they have a great synergy especially in the lower frequencies. I'm getting better bass extension and engagement than with the RSA intruder which I sent in for repair on noise issues when turning the volume pot. Getting burn in right now and will compare it with the WA7 and ASP T05 (delivery end Oct. 
beyersmile.png
).

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,020 of 1,963

Thanks for the pointers. I was at Jaben yesterday and saw a modded T1/T5P with mini XLR with a plastic housing for the connectors.  

I'll probably go this route if connector sizing is an issue.

That looks very good! Do they sell these connectors separately? 

In a way I'm glad I did what I did: looking at the prices of HD800 connectors and cables - this is way more expensive path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back