beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Sep 6, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #991 of 1,963
  bought the yulong d100, arriving next week... should i get a seperate amp or use the output from d100? i am considering meier concerto/classic, m^3, ASP TU-06, do you guys think its necessary to get a seperate amp?

I think styleaudio topaz which has an insane output impedance to be a good match with it, D100 should be fine. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #993 of 1,963
  Hi I plan to recable my T5p. What would you guys recommend between ALO Copper 18 AWG, Cardas copper, ALO Silver SXC 18 AWG from.

I have a Toxic Cable's Silver Poison, maybe one day I'll solder it on. Usually I shy away from silver headphone cables, highest purity copper with treatments I feel is usually best. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #996 of 1,963
Maybe bending the headband inwards may help put them in a tighter shape?
It is definitely easier than growing your skull.

Other than that I would propose experimenting with larger / thicker ear cushions. But that will probably destroy the sound. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #997 of 1,963
These fit me like a glove.  Although I have a shaved head, so maybe the hair is a factor?  Get a haircut hippie!
biggrin.gif

I just received my DX50 and I'm loving them  with my T5P's!

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #998 of 1,963
Taken from my post over in the ED8 thread:

Hello Everyone

I purchased an Edition 8 Palladium and I've been comparing it to my T5p and wanted to share my views.

At present, I'm left rather underwhelmed to be honest. Perhaps I was expecting too much, or I had built an incorrect mental image of what it should have been.

T5p vs. Edition 8 Palladium (both via Burson Soloist SL)

Soundstage
The T5p wins here quite convincingly. Having spent time with the Edition 8, I actually realised how open sounding the T5p actually sounds for a closed can. The Edition 8 sounds narrow and does not extend as far left and right as the T5p. Easy win for the T5p here.

Treble
I would say the ED8 is warm and less detailed than the T5p, The Beyer has lots of detail, sparkle and in conjunction with the wide sound stage you hear more from the T5p. The T5p can be a little bright for me but rarely. The ED8 sounds smooth. Again I prefer the extra detail of the T5p but I do appreciate the warmth of the ED8.

Mids
Now I was really disappointed here. The ED8 sounds similar to the Pro900. Now, I'm not talking about the recessed mids, no. The ED8 has upfront forward mids. Not as forward as T5p but still forward. The problem I have with the Ed8 and the Pro900 was that the vocals sound like someones got a bucket on their head, or they are singing while being constipated. I just can't explain it better. The ED8 and Pro900 sound strained to me in the mids, the ED8 being not so strained but still noticeably so compared with T5p. The T5p on the other hand sounds life-like, natural and noticeably better. In fact, I've only ever heard Beyers do mids best. There's just something about the Tesla mids that make it so natural and lifelike to me.

Bass
This is the only win for ED8 and my only criticism of the T5p. Where the ED8 gives me satisfying bass, I'm always wanting more bass with the T5p. However, I miss the slam of the HFI-780. That headphone does bass with authority,

Summary
Overall,  comparing the ED8 to the T5p, the ED8 sounds artificial, computerised, somewhat digital sounding. The T5p sounds so natural and real. It's quite surprising how obvious this is. With the exception of bass, the T5p wins hands down. I wanted the ED8 for so long and wanted it to work for me. I'm really surprised with the outcome. I would say the Beyer DT1350 is at least on par with the ED8 at a fraction of the price. I hope this comparison was helpful.

The release of the Beyer Custom One Tesla next year will be my headphone end game, I am confident of that. A Tesla headphone with COP bass? That's surely a winning formula.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #999 of 1,963
Your experiences echo mine. When I went to try my T5P's at my local dealer he was adamant I try the Juliet edition of the ED8.. Underwhelmed does not even come close. The un burned in T5P was far superior and as burn in took place left the ED8 in its dust.

I am glad your hearing what I heard. I have to say I have yet to hear an Ultrasone headphone that sounds convincing, dynamic or musical. They all to my ears sound the same, lifeless, plastic and artificial, I simply do not see what all the fuss is about with them from what I have heard.

Listening to the T5P's was like an open window, listening to the Ultrasone's was like listening to not only a closed window but one with thick black out curtains and bars!

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,001 of 1,963
I had both the T5p and ED8 for a time, much prefer the T5p (which I still have of course).

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,003 of 1,963
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]
T5p vs. Edition 8 Palladium (both via Burson Soloist SL)
[...]

Your description of beyerdynamic T 5 p is similar to my observations and thoughts as well. Thank you for a good description.

I have quoted your post in the headphone section of our Norwegian forum Hifisentralen.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #1,005 of 1,963

Your description of beyerdynamic T 5 p is similar to my observations and thoughts as well. Thank you for a good description.

I have quoted your post in the headphone section of our Norwegian forum Hifisentralen.

You are most welcome. I'm pleased to be of some assistance.
regular_smile .gif

Your experiences echo mine. When I went to try my T5P's at my local dealer he was adamant I try the Juliet edition of the ED8.. Underwhelmed does not even come close. The un burned in T5P was far superior and as burn in took place left the ED8 in its dust.

I am glad your hearing what I heard. I have to say I have yet to hear an Ultrasone headphone that sounds convincing, dynamic or musical. They all to my ears sound the same, lifeless, plastic and artificial, I simply do not see what all the fuss is about with them from what I have heard.

Listening to the T5P's was like an open window, listening to the Ultrasone's was like listening to not only a closed window but one with thick black out curtains and bars!

I actually find the HFI-780 the best Ultrasone I have tried. It does not sound artifiical, the mids are forward, the bass is fantastic. The treble is a little too bright but the amp can take care of that. The only issue I really had with it was the headband, it's very uncomfortable after an hour.

The ED8 are not a bad headphone. What makes them bad is the price. Precious metals and Egyptian goat skin aside, I would not pay more than 350 EUR for the sound of the ED8. I think this headphone is more a competitor for the KEF M500, Sennheiser Momentum, both of which MacedonianHero rates as good if not better than the ED8.

Funnily enough, having both the T5p and the ED8 in my hands, I would actually rate the T5p feeling more like quality, better build, durable. The ED8 felt very light, fragile and not 1300 EUR worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back