beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #451 of 1,963
Hi,

It has a tad more sub bass than the T1 but otherwise it's very close. I'd say it has more bass than a DT880, but if you want throbbing bass then don't consider this headphone.

Quote:
How is the sub bass on T5P?  Do they give enough impact with electronic music?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #452 of 1,963
Quote:
Hi,

It has a tad more sub bass than the T1 but otherwise it's very close. I'd say it has more bass than a DT880, but if you want throbbing bass then don't consider this headphone.

Hey zombie_X

I'm looking for a closed headphone for rock and metal and the beyer T70p caught my eye. The problem is, people usually recommend me the hd-25, but it's not as refined as I would like it to be. I'm looking for a closed headphone which is Hi-Fi, meaning it has lots of clarity, good soundstage, details, refined. People usually say the T 70p is not good for rock/metal, but I could just EQ it to be the way I like it. By EQing it , it would have the clarity, soundstage, and refined sound I'm looking for AND the fun and engaging sound for rock/metal (I can customize it with EQ to make it fun and more aggressive). Do you think this would be a good idea, or will it not work? I was thinking of EQing the mids to make them more forward to make a grado-like sound but still maintaining clarity, soundstage, and a refined sound. My budget is 700 dollars. 

btw, I know the T 70p is kind of bass light, but I don't really care much about that.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #453 of 1,963
Hi,

On the lower end at around $200 or so you could get a DT860. It has lots of nice bass along with fuller mids and smooth treble. It's doesn't have the clarity of the T70 but is similar. 

The T70's mids aren't that bad. They aren't lush or full but are more forward than any of the premium DT models (770-990). I wouldn't recommend EQ'ing though as to me that destroys the headphone sound. But if you must I got to say they work good with EQ'ing. I can certainly turn the bass up on my PC and they respond well without distortion or clipping.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #454 of 1,963
Quote:
Hi,

On the lower end at around $200 or so you could get a DT860. It has lots of nice bass along with fuller mids and smooth treble. It's doesn't have the clarity of the T70 but is similar. 

The T70's mids aren't that bad. They aren't lush or full but are more forward than any of the premium DT models (770-990). I wouldn't recommend EQ'ing though as to me that destroys the headphone sound. But if you must I got to say they work good with EQ'ing. I can certainly turn the bass up on my PC and they respond well without distortion or clipping.

Well, the max I would do is push the mids up very slightly and add some bass, so do you think it would make that much harm just by doing those things? If it's a bad idea, do you think the DT860 is better than the DT770 for rock/metal?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #455 of 1,963
A friend of mine recently got these w/ the Jaben balanced mod.

Out of curiosity, what would be a good dac/amp combo (either separate or combined stack).  

As for the sort of sound signature he's looking for, we're both not too sure - he can't describe it exactly.  But apparently the T5P w/ balanced mod was exactly what he was looking for.  His previous setup was the Hifiman 803 > 2Stepdance > SE535 LE if that helps

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #456 of 1,963
Hi,

I think the DT860 is a better rock headphone, but the T70 is better for imaging, detail, and resolution. It all depends. If all you're going to do is slightly nudge those frequencies then I see no issues at all.

Quote:
Well, the max I would do is push the mids up very slightly and add some bass, so do you think it would make that much harm just by doing those things? If it's a bad idea, do you think the DT860 is better than the DT770 for rock/metal?

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #457 of 1,963
Quote:
A friend of mine recently got these w/ the Jaben balanced mod.

Out of curiosity, what would be a good dac/amp combo (either separate or combined stack).  

As for the sort of sound signature he's looking for, we're both not too sure - he can't describe it exactly.  But apparently the T5P w/ balanced mod was exactly what he was looking for.  His previous setup was the Hifiman 803 > 2Stepdance > SE535 LE if that helps

Can you give any more detail on the Jaben mod? I'm looking at trading up my T5p to their mod, partly because I prefer the increased portability of them that way, but also since I've pre-ordered the Ray Samuels Audio "Intruder" fully balanced USB DAC/amp to use with my Galaxy Note 2 and would be curious to try it out in balanced mode.

Anyone else have experience of the Jaben modded ones?

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #458 of 1,963
Quote:

Can you give any more detail on the Jaben mod? I'm looking at trading up my T5p to their mod, partly because I prefer the increased portability of them that way, but also since I've pre-ordered the Ray Samuels Audio "Intruder" fully balanced USB DAC/amp to use with my Galaxy Note 2 and would be curious to try it out in balanced mode.

Anyone else have experience of the Jaben modded ones?

My taste of them fresh in vs fresh t5ps - soundstage extension (width, depth is still in your face) and more bass impact.  Beyond that, nothing that immediately stood out

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #459 of 1,963
Quote:
My taste of them fresh in vs fresh t5ps - soundstage extension (width, depth is still in your face) and more bass impact.  Beyond that, nothing that immediately stood out

Thanks, I see most who have tried them talking about more bass impact, sounds good. Will see about getting mine modded/a pre-modded pair for use with my Intruder when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow!).

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #460 of 1,963
I can now say that, despite my difficulties with the T5p in the beginning, they get more listening time then my T70p. The T5p is better headphone technically and after getting used to the mids not being as forward sounding as the T70p I think the T5p is the full package and a very satisfying headphone to listen to. 

I still like the T70p very much though and I do not think I can part with them for now.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #462 of 1,963
Nov 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #463 of 1,963
Hi guys.

Recently added the T5p to my headphones inventory.
Not being properly burnt in though, I'm very happy with these phones. 
T5p's sufficient and fuller bass was a nice surprise for me. 
And they look really gorgeous. especially black anodized yokes and grayish stained leather pads.

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/705625/beyerdynamic-t5p/null

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #465 of 1,963
Quote:

My work set up.

That's exactly one of the great things with T5p. It sounds great directly out of the headphoneplug without having to use an amp and sometimes it is great to use a simple setup. I often use it directly from my iPhone but the good thing is that it scales up used with my desktop amplifier and even with a portable amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back