beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Aug 4, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #391 of 1,963
I think they're pretty balanced as well. It depends what you compare them to- compared to mptc and sig pro's, they definitely are bass light. I've heard people refer to both of those as "neutral" though... so in that reference frame, t5p are definitely bass light.

Yes that is correct. That is important to mention. I am comparing a lot to T70 / T70p /T1 / DT-1350 and compared to them it has plenty bass. Maybe it is also important to mention that if some people buy these because they think it is a bass-focused headphone they will be disapointed. It is not bass focused at all. I think what we are trying to say here is that is certainly does not LACK any bass.

At the moment I am missing a little bit pressence in the mids with some recordings. I have 7-8 hours on them by now but I am starting to wish for some more forwardness in the mids - like the T70/T70p do so well. Maybe they need some break-in or maybe I should play with the placement.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #392 of 1,963
Yo,

Nice, you finally got them in! Tell me, wouldn't you agree that they are not bright and bass light? I find the T5p has a "thick" sound to it. I'd say it sounds that way from the warm mids and forward bass. I say I still think they have more bass than my T1's, certainly more impact and depth.

I finally received the T5p and they are worth the wait! I was hoping for something in between the T1 and the T70 and these are all that. They have the T70 resolution but with more weight to the sound. The T70 are very forward sounding but the T5p draws you a few rows backwards. So far I like it very much.

I think the T5p's have that 'thick' sound yes, especially compared to the T70, or perhaps SRH-940, thinner sounding headphones.

The T5p conveys that thickness very well though, it's very high quality syrup, just like the bass, even if the bass is a little low in volume.

The mids and highs are pretty forward and alerting in nature, but they're not sibilant or spiked per se.

I was surprised when I saw the Golden Ears Recommendation Index and how flat the T5p's are there.

I sold my pair for now and have been listening to the ATH-ES10 since then.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #393 of 1,963
After three days I am not sure what to say about the T5p yet - to be honest somewhat disapointed. I am not convinced that they will become as involving as the T70p. It is like they havn't invited me into the music yet. It is the mids I think? It is like the mids are not as open as the T70p and they do not do the layering and soundstaging just as well as the T70p did for me. Which is strange because the T70p does not have the angled drivers like the T5p. Hmmm... I am sure I need to give them much more time. So I am not making any decisions - just sharing my thoughts along the way.

Today I compared a little bit with my DT-1350 and at this point they are in some ways much more "friendly" and the mids come much more forward. I am sure my ears and brain have to adjust to the sound before I can make final decisions - time will tell.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #394 of 1,963
Quote:
After three days I am not sure what to say about the T5p yet - to be honest somewhat disapointed. I am not convinced that they will become as involving as the T70p. It is like they havn't invited me into the music yet. It is the mids I think? It is like the mids are not as open as the T70p and they do not do the layering and soundstaging just as well as the T70p did for me. Which is strange because the T70p does not have the angled drivers like the T5p. Hmmm... I am sure I need to give them much more time. So I am not making any decisions - just sharing my thoughts along the way.
Today I compared a little bit with my DT-1350 and at this point they are in some ways much more "friendly" and the mids come much more forward. I am sure my ears and brain have to adjust to the sound before I can make final decisions - time will tell.

What are you using to amplify them? 

Try something with a lot of voltage for best results, these babies do require a lot od juice to really shine.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #395 of 1,963
What are you using to amplify them? 

Try something with a lot of voltage for best results, these babies do require a lot od juice to really shine.

I use my Meier Concerto wich sounds great with the T1. I also use the iQube, P-51 or directly from iPhone. I can imagine that they synergize with some of the same amps as Grados would sound good with. I wonder what the sensitivity of these are? I find that I have to turn up the volume a lot before they blossom and at low volumes they do not really shine.

Now please do not hear me complaining :) There are also some good things they do very well. Bass and trebble are absolutely excellent they go very deep and very high and the resolution in those areas are great. Now I just need the mids to come out a bit.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #397 of 1,963
Got my T5p today, only a brief listen straight from my phone at work during lunch - very happy. Agree the bass is just a tad quiet, although the characterisitcs of the bass is lovely, with just a little more presence there this sound signature with slightly forward mids, excellent PRaT, and good detail retrieval will suit me extraordinarily well. From what I've seen using a higher quality source should assist the bass a little? I have a Xonar One at home from the desktop, and from next week with be using a HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp via USB audio from my Galaxy S3. I'm not averse to tweaking the bass on the EQ either...

(for reference I'm not a bass head, but for rock and metal it does need just a little more I think)

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #398 of 1,963
Quote:

(for reference I'm not a bass head, but for rock and metal it does need just a little more I think)

Hmmm - I am putting mine up for sale (locally, not on head-fi) since I think they are too dark and the mids are far to repressed compared to T70p. I am going back to T70p again. The T5p does not draw me into the music the same way. I have given them two weeks now and that might be too little time to judge them but what I experienced with music through the T70p was something special to me. There was a satisfaction in the T70p in the mids and I can not listen to music on the T5p without missing that. 

I do not know what it is. But the T5p IS a VERY good headphone and it does everything perfectly. I brought it to a mini-meet this week and every body else seemed to like it very much so it has to be my ears being used to the ER-4S and the T70p comes closer to that. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #399 of 1,963
Hi,

You are selling your T5p? I found the mids on the T5p to be more forward than on the T70. The T70 sounds somewhat thin in the midrange in a direct comparison. I personally enjoy the lush mid presentation on the T5p than on the T70. To each his own though.

Quote:

Hmmm - I am putting mine up for sale (locally, not on head-fi) since I think they are too dark and the mids are far to repressed compared to T70p. I am going back to T70p again. The T5p does not draw me into the music the same way. I have given them two weeks now and that might be too little time to judge them but what I experienced with music through the T70p was something special to me. There was a satisfaction in the T70p in the mids and I can not listen to music on the T5p without missing that. 

I do not know what it is. But the T5p IS a VERY good headphone and it does everything perfectly. I brought it to a mini-meet this week and every body else seemed to like it very much so it has to be my ears being used to the ER-4S and the T70p comes closer to that. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #400 of 1,963
Quote:
Hi,

You are selling your T5p? I found the mids on the T5p to be more forward than on the T70. The T70 sounds somewhat thin in the midrange in a direct comparison. I personally enjoy the lush mid presentation on the T5p than on the T70. To each his own though.

Yes - the mids in the T5p are lush and have more meat in the mids. But I do not think they are forward. At the moment I am not sure. I should give them at least a few more weeks before I make a decision. I will try to see of I can find a pair of T70p and have both at the same time. I think I need some more direct comparisons before I make a final decision. I found that for classical music I enjoy the T5p very much. Who knows maybe my brain will adjust to this different presentation and soundstage. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #402 of 1,963
Quote:
Is anyone wearing the T5P with eyeglasses?  If so, how is the comfort?

Also, is the isolation and lack of sound leakage as good as the DT-770?

Can't comment on isolation yet (haven't had anyone around to ask when I've listened so far), but I wear glasses and have no issues with comfort with the T5p, very comfortable for me.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #403 of 1,963
Hi,

I find it odd you think the mids aren't forward, they sound forward on my unit. Not as much as the T1 but close.

Quote:
Yes - the mids in the T5p are lush and have more meat in the mids. But I do not think they are forward. At the moment I am not sure. I should give them at least a few more weeks before I make a decision. I will try to see of I can find a pair of T70p and have both at the same time. I think I need some more direct comparisons before I make a final decision. I found that for classical music I enjoy the T5p very much. Who knows maybe my brain will adjust to this different presentation and soundstage. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #404 of 1,963
Quote:
Hi,

I find it odd you think the mids aren't forward, they sound forward on my unit. Not as much as the T1 but close.

I wish I could get to listen to your unit and compare. I can definitely say that compared to the T70p, T1 and by far Grado SR325i the T5p's midrange are drawn backwards compared to the treble and bass on my unit. I will try to make a frequency response measurement on my unit at my work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back