beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,756 of 1,963
Awesome, what do you plan on using for Amplification?
  I'm waiting impatiently for ALO recabled T5P arriving from the States. Sold some items to get them.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #1,757 of 1,963
Awesome, what do you plan on using for Amplification?

I will use them primarily on the go with my AK100 Mk2 and with the new generation Centrance DacPort HD when I receive it (still available on Indiegogo). I know it deserves a better source than AK100 Mk2, maybe AK120 or future Fiio X7 or Geek player, but I should save some money first (this hobby ain't cheap).

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #1,758 of 1,963
I'm sure it'll sound awesome with the AK100mk2. Be sure to update us with your impressions if you have the time 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
I will use them primarily on the go with my AK100 Mk2 and with the new generation Centrance DacPort HD when I receive it (still available on Indiegogo). I know it deserves a better source than AK100 Mk2, maybe AK120 or future Fiio X7 or Geek player, but I should save some money first (this hobby ain't cheap).

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,760 of 1,963
t5p is the only closed back headphone that doesn't sound closed, i had it for a year now and it keeps amazing me with how "open" it sounds. Feels like my head becomes transparent and waves of sound simply go thru it, feels like i have music(sound picture)  instead of my head, not inside my head , as with many other headphones.

I strongly recommend invest in higher end gear once you get t5p, it scales greatly...

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,761 of 1,963
  t5p is the only closed back headphone that doesn't sound closed, i had it for a year now and it keeps amazing me with how "open" it sounds. Feels like my head becomes transparent and waves of sound simply go thru it, feels like i have music(sound picture)  instead of my head, not inside my head , as with many other headphones.

I strongly recommend invest in higher end gear once you get t5p, it scales greatly...

The K550 also sounds very open.    The T5p is a much better headphone...but the K550 is great deal.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,762 of 1,963
I have used the T5P for a few weeks, and I am extremely satisfied with them. They look great, feel durable, and sound beautiful.
In stock form, the headphones had too much sharpness in the treble; however, adding some adhesive felt to the inside of the headphones solved the problem.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,763 of 1,963
I love mine, too.  They do a better job than many top closed headphones (e.g., Fostex TH-900) of noise isolation, yet they maintain an almost open airy quality.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #1,764 of 1,963
  I love mine, too.  They do a better job than many top closed headphones (e.g., Fostex TH-900) of noise isolation, yet they maintain an almost open airy quality.

I agree.  For me they passed the ultimate test, working at Starbucks with background music + chatter.  

Sidenote: Jude explained to me that the TH900's are semi-open headphones, which is why they don't isolate too well.

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,766 of 1,963
Hi all,

I just received my AKT5ps and was wondering what cable options are out there that are highly recommended. Since I'm very particular about fit and finish, and since an upgrade would require modifications to my AKT5ps, suggestions that maintain the quality look and feel of the Beyers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,767 of 1,963
Ordered a pair of 5Tp myself yesterday, upgrading from the T70p and have high hopes. Very much looking forward to getting my hands on them. Some interesting posts about better sources being worthwhile, this doesn't surprise me. 

I use a Meridian Explorer2 DAC fed by a Wyrd 5V linear PS for 'phones at home. Perhaps I need to consider the A&K range if my iPhone doesn't cut it when travelling, which I do an awful lot of - Portugal to the UK 2-3 times a month. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,768 of 1,963
my iphone6 that is more powerful than previous models can't drive t5p. Sound lacks in dynamics, theres no punch to the sound, sound picture is flat and thin , treble becomes to prominent and low end is barely there, boring to listen to....

i also thought a portable amp would make a difference, i tried a few , like meridian explorer , hegel super , dragonfly but all it did was increasing or better say refine level of detail a little, smooth it up, sound wasn't so grainy but when it came to dynamics , t5p stil sounded boring and lifeless.

I tried many amps to match t5p , both portable and desktop amps , like Naim V1 , Meridian Prime , Hegel HD12 , Music Fidelity and few other...
it never sounded right to me , either sound was to stiff and overpowered or the opposite , weak and lifeless. So i end up using my t5p with ipad air for a while , it was the best match to my ears...

Then i tried t5p with beyerdynamic A1 amp and was surprised how well it matched , great synergy! sound became thick smooth liquid lush very musical , yet detailed powerful and finally low end got a punch , subbass goes really deep , bass is very articulated controlled and tight , most of the headphones got powerful and controlled bass ( i don't mean colored headphones like beats by dre)  but bass comes kind of from one place in sound picture , with t5p bass is moving all around sound stage, coming from different places in different size and character ,it has layers and it never overpower the mids!   A1 is studio like neutral, smooth yet very powerful amp , its a great match for t5p!

Personaly i doubt any portable amp can make t5p sing, witch makes me wonder why beyerdynamic made a portable headphone that need a desktop amp to get its full potential, strange ...

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,769 of 1,963
  my iphone6 that is more powerful than previous models can't drive t5p. Sound lacks in dynamics, theres no punch to the sound, sound picture is flat and thin , treble becomes to prominent and low end is barely there, boring to listen to....

i also thought a portable amp would make a difference, i tried a few , like meridian explorer , hegel super , dragonfly but all it did was increasing or better say refine level of detail a little, smooth it up, sound wasn't so grainy but when it came to dynamics , t5p stil sounded boring and lifeless.

I tried many amps to match t5p , both portable and desktop amps , like Naim V1 , Meridian Prime , Hegel HD12 , Music Fidelity and few other...
it never sounded right to me , either sound was to stiff and overpowered or the opposite , weak and lifeless. So i end up using my t5p with ipad air for a while , it was the best match to my ears...

Then i tried t5p with beyerdynamic A1 amp and was surprised how well it matched , great synergy! sound became thick smooth liquid lush very musical , yet detailed powerful and finally low end got a punch , subbass goes really deep , bass is very articulated controlled and tight , most of the headphones got powerful and controlled bass ( i don't mean colored headphones like beats by dre)  but bass comes kind of from one place in sound picture , with t5p bass is moving all around sound stage, coming from different places in different size and character ,it has layers and it never overpower the mids!   A1 is studio like neutral, smooth yet very powerful amp , its a great match for t5p!

Personaly i doubt any portable amp can make t5p sing, witch makes me wonder why beyerdynamic made a portable headphone that need a desktop amp to get its full potential, strange ...

Interesting thoughts, what's the output impedance of this iPad you speak of? I've read the 6 is the best sounding iPhone to date but don't have any measurements to back this up. A Weiss 202 DAC is on the cards for home use at some point. In addition to a AK380 for on the move when I finally get my hands on the Noble K10. I've been down the naim route many years ago, or up the ladder as it were and wouldn't buy another product from them. Very good products but better value to be had elsewhere. 

Thankfully I bought the T5p at a bargain new price < £570.00 so won't have any problem selling them on at little loss should I encounter the problems you did. Or I will try the A1 for them. Thanks for your advice. The Woo Audio (WA7) also looks nice. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,770 of 1,963
Can anyone tell me if or when Beyer stopped providing the more solid, contoured travel felt looking cases with the T5p. Now they come with a draw-string bad for travel. I'd prefer the former given I intend to use them for travel. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back