beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Nov 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,576 of 1,963
We've just begun a remodeling project on our house so that means no open-headphones for me.  Thankfully I have the T5p's and can still rock out.  

I've been listening to David Bowie's Low album and it sounds amazing through the T5p's.  This headphone does 70's rock very-well.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #1,577 of 1,963
Dear All,

So many great discussions and so much great info here; I`ve just read 100% of the 2nd half of this thread (and skipped here and there through the first half.)  I am extremely happy to be a new T5P owner !   

I purchased the T5P today at a headphone specialty store here in Tokyo, but it was not the usual kind of purchase:  My T5P is junk.  

Sorry, this is going to be a bit of story.  

I actually went in to the store today to have some IEMs re-terminated to 2.5mm balanced for my AK DAP.  I did the paperwork for that, chose my plug, handed over the IEMs and then took a stroll around the store, a cornucopia of new and used headphones, amps, DAPs and cables, much of it stupidly, wonderfully high-end.   Just two weeks ago I had purchased the Beyer T51p at this very shop, the culmination of two months` indecision and mind-changing, trying to buy a closed headphone for upcoming travelling.  I went through so many contenders, all around the us$500 mark: Shure 1540, FostexTH600, Ultrasone 880, SonyZ7.  I eventually settled on the T51p, under my budget but checking the most boxes compared to the others.  Of course, in the process I discovered the T5P : I had no idea there was a closed `phone in this high-end range,  with the TH900 and XC.  Anyway, the T5P scared the crap out of me because of its excellent build quality, isolation, looks and mostly its SQ.  I like neither the TH900 nor the XC, and I knew I wanted to own the T5P someday.  But, having the HD800,  there was no 2nd $1000+ can in my immediate future...  I did hunt around for a used one, and in Tokyo there are a lot of used T5P and used,  they are only slightly above my budget.  Unfortunately all of them had to be disqualified, some for the reasons people have mentioned in this thread : strange, stiffened/slippery leather; bunged-up sliders in the headband; or, the #1 problem with Japan`s used headphones: reeking of cigarette smoke.  So I gave up on the T5P and went with its little sibling, the T51p. 

Anyway, back to my stroll around the shop today.  On my way I noticed something big and black, wrapped in celophane, in one of the shop`s `JUNK` bins: a T5P.  Yes, a T5P in essentially new condition.  I tried it on and felt the best fit I`d ever felt in any T5P so far, or any closed can for that matter.  The buttery, soft pads formed an instant, noise-cancelling isolation.  The cups were clean and gorgeous. The headband was fawless and the sliders were smooth as silk.  I checked again : yes, `JUNK`, going for 40k yen, or about us$350.  I asked about them and the clerk just smiled and said `Sound doesn`t come out`.  I asked if it was both sides (i.e., a cable issue) and he just smiled again and said, `The plug is broken. If you can fix it yourself, it`s a good chance to get the T5P at a low price.`  I said, `But you guys have a recabling station right over there with 2 people soldering away in it.` He just shrugged and smiled, again.  I think he knew I was peeing in my pants....

And seriously, that was all that was wrong with them.  I plugged them into my AK and with some wiggling of the 3.5mm jack I eventually got music, that sweet musice, playing from both sides.  So, I ran back to the recabling corner and ordered an immediate halt to my IEM re-termination.   Instead, the junk T5P will get the Nobunaga 2.5mm 4-pole jack . . . 

It seems like Beyer quality-control issue with the T5P cable has worked to my advantage..

Anybody want to buy a 2-week old T51p ? 

d

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,581 of 1,963
Great story
bigsmile_face.gif
.  Congrats!

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,582 of 1,963
Originally Posted by Dopaminer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He just shrugged and smiled, again.  I think he knew I was peeing in my pants....

LOL!
That made me pee my pants!

Congrats on the purchase at an excellent price! :wink:

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,584 of 1,963
Thanks everyone.  I`ll post some pics / impressions when I get the T5P tomorrow or the next day. 

d

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,585 of 1,963
Hello,

Hope I can get a few opinions?

I'm listening and enjoying the T5p's though will need to decide to keep these vs buying either the Fostex 900's or the Audeze XC's.

Haven't heard the latter two HPs though wonder about comments of a recessed midrange on the Fostex and the weight of the Audeze.

FYI, I listen to all types of music though more jazz than anything. And I definitely need a closed back HP.

All thoughts much appreciated!

Shmuel

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,586 of 1,963
Hello,

Hope I can get a few opinions?

I'm listening and enjoying the T5p's though will need to decide to keep these vs buying either the Fostex 900's or the Audeze XC's.

Haven't heard the latter two HPs though wonder about comments of a recessed midrange on the Fostex and the weight of the Audeze.

FYI, I listen to all types of music though more jazz than anything. And I definitely need a closed back HP.

All thoughts much appreciated!

Shmuel

I`ve demo`d the TH900 many times and I am a huge Fostex speaker fan.  The 900 is `closed back`, but does not isolate like a closed HP, definitely not like the T5P, which for me is super-isolating.  I disqualified the 900 immediately due to this issue, though I still like listening to it in the shops from time to time.  

And Audeze, apart from weighing a ton and costing a fortune, are open back if I`m not mistaken.  

What other phone are you considering?  I like the new Ultrasone 880 a lot.  

But T5P rules. . . 

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,587 of 1,963

And Audeze, apart from weighing a ton and costing a fortune, are open back if I`m not mistaken.  

The XC is the Audeze closed back. They isolate pretty well but they are on the heavy side. 

The 900 is closed back, but it's true that they isolate as much as an semi-open headphone. But they offer a really good sound.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,588 of 1,963
Audeze XC is a closed back. 
I think it is supposedly easier to achieve nice sound from T5p (i.e. budget gear) than the two alternatives mentioned. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,589 of 1,963
Ah yes, of course, the XC is closed back.  Oops. 

I tried them twice at the Tokyo Headphone shows . .  Beautiful to look at, relatively easy to drive, expensive and heavy.   For me, unremarkable sound.  I liked the Alpha Primes` sound a lot more, but they are also too heavy, or heavy-seeming, for me.  

I could make concessions for size and weight for an open, at-home audiophile HP, but really, for closed back, why compromise ? 

I guess if one needs isolation/leakage-prevention at home these huge/heavy phones makes sense.  But my idea of a closed can is for less-than ideal listening environments, ie, not at home, on the go maybe, hotels, long waits in airports, cafes, etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back