beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Mar 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,186 of 1,963
You can email him at the address have provided and ask him Theogenes. He normally replies back within several hours or the next day.

peter@doublehelixcables.com

Awesome, thanks WK!! I'm going to give the company I had originally reached out to the opportunity to reply to me tomorrow, and if not, I'll be emailing Peter tomorrow night :wink:

Thanks again!!

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,188 of 1,963
Mar 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #1,189 of 1,963
Keep us posted...I might be interested too if the price is right.

Will do, man. Heard nothing but good things about the guy and his company, so I'm looking forward to it.

Mar 7, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,190 of 1,963
Have chatted with Peter at Double Helix cables today. Will post some of his remarks below.

Beyer surgery nearly done
adapters built, just attached first one
When you take them apart, you can see the cups are way more shallow than they look, they actually don't have at all the same design as the T1. So these will have Triple Threat adapters 8 wire silver litz, even those barely fit the stock strain relief.
The holes are too wide for hifiman or hd800 terminations, but the cups are too shallow for audeze.
Right channel reassembled, looks/sounds good, onto the left, adapter built, attaching now.
Again aside from maybe 2 extra inches of wire, there's no difference between this mod vs. a jack.
Mod complete.
Yes you have the nastiest T5P's on the face of the earth.
Only ones with silver litz.
Only ones with 8 wire silver litz.
God these sound infinitely better.
I didn't honestly like them much when I first got them.
So much air.
Internally the cables are secured with plastic zip ties, although the fit is so perfectly snug with the rubber stock strain reliefs that it practically didn't need that, but no nasty glue flood in there or anything.
The stock cable isn't much.
Yep these look/sound terrific.
These were pretty unrefined before, to be perfectly honest. like, very good for portable cans, but not world-class.
Right now they're a can that I probably need to purchase.
Very very clean, but not harsh like hd800, they are laid back while being perfectly clear.
Very comparable to HD800, but they're essentially a closed can.
I think they're a little less fatiguing, still decently bright cans, beyer goes for super neutral studio type sound.
Ideal for jazz, classical, classic rock.
I think they'll have even more bass if we got them some different pads, some cushier aftermarket full leather ones would be nice.
I don't feel like the pads seal as well as they could, this is a problem with most Beyers.
These have the most elaborate drivers just about that I've ever seen.
The magnet structures are a work of art.
Going to put some clear PVC shrink on the plugs to keep em smudge free but other than that it's all done.

Peter, I hope you don't mind if I post some of your comments from here in the T5P thread?

Sure, have at it.
Yeah you can let em know that hanging adapters are the way to go, and functionally they're a better signal path than what is stock on hd800, audeze, or hifiman.
And similar to the earcup jack mod just with a few inches more wire length.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,191 of 1,963
^^ That looks like a very good job 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,193 of 1,963
Very nicely done.

Just a quick question, I am not that technical person but why there is no hookup wire connected to the chassis like pic below (for true ground) ? 

(http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/OCC_Copper_Headphone_Cable.aspx)

This is the description from their website,

"
Balanced 6 conductor desgin (+ Left, - Left, Chassis Ground Left & + Right, - Right, Chassis Ground Right). Dedicated left/right channel Tri-Conductor cable design brings you a truly balanced headphone cable. Each cable runs from headphone earcup directly to xlr connector. Absolutely no left/right channel crosstalk. Ultimate strereo imaging and lowest noise floor possible."

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,194 of 1,963
Hi deafanddumb, have not had the chance to hear my T5P yet. Have posted the impressions that Peter at Double Helix cables has said about the recabled T5P. He still has my Ultrasone Edition 8 with Triple Threat adapters and Audeze connectors to install like what you saw done to my T5P. After that he will make my Macromolecule Elite 8-Wire all pure OCC Silver Peptide Litz headphone cable that can also plug into Audeze headphones. You are welcome to email Peter your questions and will supply his email address at the bottom of my post.

Hey Canadian411, I asked Peter about your question and will post his response below.

T5P don't use chassis connections.
Their cable is unshielded.

I am sorry Peter, am trying to understand by what you mean their cable is unshielded?

There's no big metal braided tubular shield going over the entire cable.
Larger, heavier cables are shielded, like the T1's stock cable, and my Complement2.

peter@doublehelixcables.com

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #1,195 of 1,963
Oh dear...I did a three way shoot out yesterday between my xc, and two portable on the go alternative...the nad hp50 and beyerdynamic T5p....as I've said before, my favourite headphone ever is the audeze LCD 3, but I need closed back....in my search in general and my test yesterday I discovered something shocking....I think I prefer the sound character (notice I didn't say quality) of the NAD over the t5p, which may not be that surprising as the NAD is warmer, to the beyers leaner brighter character....but oh dear....I also preferred it to my xc! The xc was closer to the leaner brighter sound of the t5p than the hp50 our lcd3. This is character only, not resolution or ultimate realism....which is important, but not as much as the character you prefer. So in summary...the NAD hp50 is like a mini lcd3 (ish) and my xc will be traded for something else :frowning2: the fostex th900 seems to be my last chance of closed back high end!(also posted on xc thread)

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,196 of 1,963
Yep T5P and T1 don't have the same driver.  There is no lug to attach a shield on the T5P, google up a few driver pix and you won't see anywhere on the driver to bolt a shield (although you could fashion one if you wanted).  

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #1,197 of 1,963
  Yep T5P and T1 don't have the same driver.  There is no lug to attach a shield on the T5P, google up a few driver pix and you won't see anywhere on the driver to bolt a shield (although you could fashion one if you wanted).  

Is the T5p driver completely different or is a variation of the T1 driver?

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,198 of 1,963
It's a variant, it isn't hugely different, but it seems to go deeper into the cups which are shallower.  

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,199 of 1,963
  It's a variant, it isn't hugely different, but it seems to go deeper into the cups which are shallower.  

Have you experimented with dampening?  I was thinking of putting some dynamat behind the drivers. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,200 of 1,963
They weren't mine, but yeah I think dampening might make them a bit less bright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back