beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,201 of 1,963
  They weren't mine, but yeah I think dampening might improve the bass response, T5P are a very neutral sounding headphone and a bit bass light.  

Thanks.  I've planning to do the dynamat thing for a while but I have been procrastinating.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #1,202 of 1,963
Just found this, I think it's another alternative to do the connector jack. ^^.

Website : http://blog.jaben.co.th/2012/09/balanced-beyerdynamic-t1-t5p-jaben.html

I can't read thai but it's well done, I wish it was done with the HD800/Audeze jack connectors since I have quiet few of those cables. :)

Edit : Ooops, looks like someone already post the pics, sorry.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,203 of 1,963
Looking forward to getting to chat with Peter about the mod :wink:

Also, @Canadian411, I contacted Jaben a while back and found that they will only sell you a new headphone with the modification performed, they do not currently allow you to send in your own headphone for modification. The gentleman I spoke with assured me he'd let me know if they ever changed their minds, but it doesn't appear they have. Anyway, HTH!

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,204 of 1,963
Looking forward to getting to chat with Peter about the mod :wink:

Also, @Canadian411
, I contacted Jaben a while back and found that they will only sell you a new headphone with the modification performed, they do not currently allow you to send in your own headphone for modification. The gentleman I spoke with assured me he'd let me know if they ever changed their minds, but it doesn't appear they have. Anyway, HTH!

If I know where to get those connector mount I think I can do the rest :)

Soldering and cable braiding is pretty easy. :wink:

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,205 of 1,963
Well, my T5P headphones that have shorted out at the connector two times previously have now shorted out a third time.  It's pretty consistent that they seem to last about a month before something between the connector and the cable just falls apart.

It's too bad.  I simply love almost everything about the T5Ps.

However, after having the cable short 3 times in 3 months, I've lost a lot of faith in Beyerdynamic's engineering ability, and I'm regretting buying these headphones.  I'm wondering if I simply have a unit that's cursed by the ghost, or if these perhaps are more fragile than butterfly wings.

Incidentally, I did contact Jaben about modifying them, and they confirmed they don't do it aftermarket.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,206 of 1,963

Changing the plug should be easy...you can do it yourself.

Weird that you keep getting this problem...mine has been working fine for months (I don't use it on the go though).

Perhaps this is the perfect time to get them re-cabled.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,207 of 1,963
I wish I had the knowledge and ability to jump in and modify a set of headphones like some of you guys. However, I realize that I would find some insane how-right-can-Murphy's-Law-be method of creating my own personal Fukushima situation if I was ever to wield a soldering iron with intent. So I'll just slowly step away from the workshop and leave this to the professionals :wink:

Btw, where are we on those wood cups?? I wanna see some PICTURES!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #1,209 of 1,963
Changing the plug should be easy...you can do it yourself.

Weird that you keep getting this problem...mine has been working fine for months (I don't use it on the go though).

Perhaps this is the perfect time to get them re-cabled.

I can assemble a computer no problem but I've never touched a soldering iron in my life and don't want to learn on my T5Ps. It might come out fine, or it might end out like something from The Fly.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,210 of 1,963
I can assemble a computer no problem but I've never touched a soldering iron in my life and don't want to learn on my T5Ps. It might come out fine, or it might end out like something from The Fly.

You can try the change the plug.  If you end up with something horrible, you can always send it to an experienced modder. 

Here are some instructions I posted in another thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/1845#post_10287486

wink.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,211 of 1,963
I recently compared the t5p with th900abd my finding was it is much wiser to pay the extra and go with the th900 than the t5p.

I recently compared the TH900 with the Stax SR009.  My finding was it is much wiser to pay the extra and go with the SR009.

wink.gif

Where does the madness end?

I bet the TH900 is better...but isn't this model geared towards bassheads?  If you love the neutrality of the T5p, will you enjoy what the TH900 has to offer (especially in the bass department)?

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,212 of 1,963
  I bet the TH900 is better...but isn't this model geared towards bassheads?  If you love the neutrality of the T5p, will you enjoy what the TH900 has to offer (especially in the bass department)?

I think their quite different voicing makes them suitable for different genres... of very different tastes on the same genre. For me that leads to different choices of amps: I like the TH900 best driven by an A8 while the T5p is very nice when connected to an HP-V1. I tend to find the TH900's bass overwhelming with most amps.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,213 of 1,963
  Btw, where are we on those wood cups?? I wanna see some PICTURES!!!! 
biggrin.gif

:wink:

Will probably contact Martin again in the next couple of weeks. I think that by April I should have it home!!! (hopefully!)
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,214 of 1,963

I recently compared the TH900 with the Stax SR009.  My finding was it is much wiser to pay the extra and go with the SR009.

wink.gif

Where does the madness end?

+1, that's why I decided to get both TH900 and T5p :)

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,215 of 1,963

I tend to find the TH900's bass overwhelming with most amps.

In that case audionewbi's claim that it is wiser to pay extra for the TH900 would not make sense to someone who likes their bass to be more neutral.  Paying extra would could make sense to those who like the TH900 signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back