beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 30, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #1,126 of 1,963
My T5p cable has had a loose connection in the cable around the Y-spilt. It looses sound in the left side if I do not bend the cable all the time. So now is the time to re-cable it. I think I will get a 99% silver+1%gold cable replacement. I have heard other head-fiers love their T70 with the same cable. So now I am looking forward to see if it brightens them up a little bit. I can't get them bright and analytical enough so that is the aim. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #1,127 of 1,963
  My T5p cable has had a loose connection in the cable around the Y-spilt. It looses sound in the left side if I do not bend the cable all the time. So now is the time to re-cable it. I think I will get a 99% silver+1%gold cable replacement. I have heard other head-fiers love their T70 with the same cable. So now I am looking forward to see if it brightens them up a little bit. I can't get them bright and analytical enough so that is the aim. 

Wow......I already think they are bright as they are....and you want them brighter? I've trying everything to tame these with new Atlas cables and you are doing the exact opposite lol.....how different we are!
wink_face.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,128 of 1,963

Wow......I already think they are bright as they are....and you want them brighter? I've trying everything to tame these with new Atlas cables and you are doing the exact opposite lol.....how different we are!
wink_face.gif

Exactly! I love the T70, ER-4S, Tzar 350 - and the stock T5p of course. They are all fast, bright, airy and somewhat edgy. I love that. It was my biggest problem with T5p and getting used to them in the beginning. So I hope to open them up a bit and get some more air into their sound. Let's see if a new cable changes anything at all...

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,129 of 1,963
Well, I have decided to keep my pair.  I've been listening to the T5p more and more...to the point that it is getting more head time than the HD800. 

This is truly the best closed headphone I have heard (just beats the Alpha Dog by a nose). 

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,130 of 1,963

I've got a Toxic Silver Poison sitting here. I am tempted to fit it to the T5p, it is thin after the y-split which I think will slide into the standard T5p without modification. I'm interested in how you go with the new cable.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,132 of 1,963
Well, I have decided to keep my pair.  I've been listening to the T5p more and more...to the point that it is getting more head time than the HD800. 

This is truly the best closed headphone I have heard (just beats the Alpha Dog by a nose). 

I just sold my HD800 for that reason. T5p can be used everywhere with portable amps and since I got new B&W PM-1 speakers I never really used the HD800 at home. When I listen to headphones at home I need them to be closed and the T5p are the best I have heard so far. :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,133 of 1,963
  Is anyone, by chance, using the TEAC UD-501 DAC with the T5p? I'm very close to buying one and wanted some insight with the combination.....

I think it's a good-great combo actually. For those who I find the T5p slightly bright (I'm not in that camp), the combination w the TEAC works because I find the TEAC dac slightly rolled off in the treble (i.e. not bright, slightly warm).

Listening to Roger Waters - Pros & Cons... on Spotify (320k) - good detail retrieval, balanced bass & smooth highs.

Recommended with the usual caveats (i.e. ymmv).

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,134 of 1,963
  As promised, here's a brief photo tutorial on the T5p surgery:

Step 1: Grab the edge of the earpad and gently pull up. It should come off without resistance.

Step 2: Using a knife (any knife with a thin blade will do), insert the back side of the blade into the slit and pry sideways as marked.
That will detach the fastening ring.

Step 3: Using the knife blade, apply light pressure to the raised side of the driver assembly and pull away from the cup. Sounds scary, but it leaves hardly any marks and is not visible anyway.
The cable inside should be long enough to allow for some movement, nevertheless apply some care unless you are ready for some emergency soldering...

Step 4: Make sure the foam rings fit the inside of the cup.

Step 5: Insert the foam ring. No gluing is necessary.

Step 6: The earcup contains a groove on the side of cable fitting. When assembling back, align the tongue on the driver mount with that grove and gently press the mount in.

Step 7: Fit the earpad on the fastening ring. This can be a bit fiddly. I use a corner of a credit card to guide the edge in.

Step 8: Find the small tongue on the edge of the ring and align it with the groove on the earcup (yes, the same groove as before). Squish the two together. You should hear a few clicks. Make sure that the fit is nice and even around the edge.

Well - that's it. Hope this may encourage some of you to experimenting and if you do - please share your findings!

Since I'm going to be keeping my T5p I've decided to try some "surgery" on my pair.  I'm thinking of ordering a sheet of Dynamat and lining the inside of the cups with the material. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,135 of 1,963
Since I'm going to be keeping my T5p I've decided to try some "surgery" on my pair.  I'm thinking of ordering a sheet of Dynamat and lining the inside of the cups with the material. 

Sweet, man! Let us know how it goes!!

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,137 of 1,963
So I've had these T5Ps for almost 2 months, and twice now the headphone connector jack has died it due to some sort of cable short or something.  Is this a common problem?  

It's pretty disappointing because I love these headphones otherwise.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,138 of 1,963
Hate to say it, Gnawbert, but I've had the same issue. I bought mine used, and when mine arrived they had a Neutrik right-angled plug and worked fine. After a few weeks (and I tend to really baby my gear as well, never once walked off while plugged in or anything), one of the channels went out. Sent it off to a Beyerdynamic repair center, and the gentleman fixed it pretty quickly at a reasonable cost, so I chalked it up to the cost of buying used cans and moved on. (Side note: the tech reterminated it with a straight Rean plug instead, although I didn't ask him to, and would have honestly preferred the right-angled Neutrik. But I digress.) A few months later, same thing-- one channel started going out, and the fault is definitely where the cable comes into the plug itself. 

As far as fixes go: I plan on getting mine modified with mini-XLR connectors in the cups and using different cables altogether. (Moon Audio and BTG-Audio do this, and possibly others). I'm assuming that will resolve the issue, but I'm not aware of any other special fix for it. Sorry for your trouble!! Thank god they sound great, right... Elsewise they'd have some really tee'd off people here :wink:

If, for whatever reason, you'd like the contact info of the Beyerdynamic repair guy I used, drop me a PM and I'll dig it up for you. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,139 of 1,963
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know the defect has not put you off the T5Ps. Both times I've had the straight Rean adaptor. Like you, I'd probably prefer the angled one, but if it stops this problem from occurring I'll take one that was shaped like a pretzel.

I really love the sound of the T5Ps, and l want to love these headphones, especially because I've been eyeing them for over a year and have invested a fair bit of anticipation in them. Since I live in South Korea, I have to pay the repair out of pocket, or pay for the shipping back to the U.S., which is about the cost of the repair locally. I'll get it fixed this week and see if they can mod it locally, but I'm very disappointed with Beyerdynamic for this design flaw in what is otherwise a perfect set of cans.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,140 of 1,963
I know it's aggravating, and I agree-- on a set of headphones this expensive, there's really no excuse for a poor connection to the termination. 

One other thought: I notice Jaben has a location in Shanghai, which hopefully wouldn't be too ridiculous shipping-wise, and they have a particularly professional-looking mini-XLR mod they do to the T5p. Last time I checked, they weren't willing to do the mod on a used set of cans, but they might have changed that by now, or they might be willing to do it for someone who's not literally on the other side of the planet like me. 

Btw, since the issue doesn't necessarily seem to be all that rare, I think switching to another cable makes sense, and I personally hate hardwired cables on high-end cans, so hopefully this explains why I keep suggesting that. But I'm sure Brian (BTG) or Drew (Moon) could either hardwire another cable on there or get you a different kind of in-cup socket if you'd like. Just a thought :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back