beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Nov 29, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,876 of 1,963
Thanks guys so much for your replies! 
I've listened some more and I really do like the sound of them in some cases, its very dependant on the track playing and I suspect also the DAC is not good enough. It almost sounds better to play directly from my iphone with the bass slightly boosted in the EQ. I've read some about the "burn in" debate, would you guys say that the 5TP are headphones that need a long burn in? 
I would love to hear some good suggestions for DAC/Amp, the only requirement is that it is compatible with a a computer and that its around the 6-800 dollar mark. Thank you again for such great and swift replies!

Edit: wouldn't mind if the amp had a slightly warmer tone, I feel the 5TP can be every so slightly harsh sometimes. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #1,877 of 1,963
  Thanks guys so much for your replies! 
I've listened some more and I really do like the sound of them in some cases, its very dependant on the track playing and I suspect also the DAC is not good enough. It almost sounds better to play directly from my iphone with the bass slightly boosted in the EQ. I've read some about the "burn in" debate, would you guys say that the 5TP are headphones that need a long burn in? 
I would love to hear some good suggestions for DAC/Amp, the only requirement is that it is compatible with a a computer and that its around the 6-800 dollar mark. Thank you again for such great and swift replies!

Edit: wouldn't mind if the amp had a slightly warmer tone, I feel the 5TP can be every so slightly harsh sometimes. 

I can confirm that the T5p benefits from a long burn in. In my case it took 3-4 weeks of exclusive use before they started sounding right, and the change was far from subtle. It's possible though that it was just my ears getting trained to accommodate to them.
Regarding the upstream gear - what strikes me most is how good they are with the humble Fiio E17, If only the source is half decent, the E17 is all I really need to enjoy them. The ability to crank up the bass should also appeal to many.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,878 of 1,963
  Hi everyone, first time poster here!

I recently bought the T5P´s since I had read a lot of online praise and I need a closed headphone. This is my first truly high end pair of headphone so I am fairly new at this level.
The issue I am having is that the sound from the headphones feels really flat and very thin with virtually no bass. Im testing to switch between my old Sennheizer momentum and the 5Tp´s from the same source and the momentum packs a better punch. Im no bass-head but the sound is very dull without any bass. Since it is advertised as a portable headphone I didn't think I needed a powerful DAC/headphone amp, so I bought a iFi Audio nano iDSD which I suspect was a huge misstake. Can this amp be so bad to make the headphone sound so dull? Could a better amp really save it or are my pair defect? If I should try with another DAC/Headphone amp, which one should I go with, I saw a recommendation for the "beyerdynamic A1" but its quite old and does not have USB which would be a problem since I mostly use my computer as source. So any recommendations are gladly accepted!

I could really use some help here from you experienced people, thank you very much!

-Eric

Eric,  you are comparing a neutral headphone (T5p) to one that has a lot of bass (the v1 Momentum I owned had basshead levels of mid-bass).   This is like comparing the speed of a Honda Civic to that of a BMW M5.    The Civic was not designed to be a speedster...and the T5p was not designed to shake your head.   An amp will not change the amount of bass the T5p will produce (EQ will, though). 

When I first joined Headfi I also wanted bass, bass and more bass.   Nowadays, if a can has much more bass than the the T5p (a good one, remember we suspect that there are variances) I will probably end up not keeping it.   For me, it is not about the quantity of the bass, it is all about the quality.   My D2000 has a lot more bass than the T5p, but the quality is excellent, so I own both and enjoy them both.   When I use the T5p after listening to the D2000 the T5p does seem to be bass-light -- after a period of adjustment, the T5p starts to sound great again.  Give it some time.   Only listen to the T5p and see if you can get used to their character and appreciate the sound signature.   If not, there are plenty more fish in the sea. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,879 of 1,963

Eric,  you are comparing a neutral headphone (T5p) to one that has a lot of bass (the v1 Momentum I owned had basshead levels of mid-bass).   This is like comparing the speed of a Honda Civic to that of a BMW M5.    The Civic was not designed to be a speedster...and the T5p was not designed to shake your head.   An amp will not change the amount of bass the T5p will produce (EQ will, though). 

When I first joined Headfi I also wanted bass, bass and more bass.   Nowadays, if a can has much more bass than the the T5p (a good one, remember we suspect that there are variances) I will probably end up not keeping it.   For me, it is not about the quantity of the bass, it is all about the quality.   My D2000 has a lot more bass than the T5p, but the quality is excellent, so I own both and enjoy them both.   When I use the T5p after listening to the D2000 the T5p does seem to be bass-light -- after a period of adjustment, the T5p starts to sound great again.  Give it some time.   Only listen to the T5p and see if you can get used to their character and appreciate the sound signature.   If not, there are plenty more fish in the sea. 

It appears that no two T5P headphones are exactly the same. Some people claim to be getting plenty of bass and others like myself are not. I'm not a bass head, I was actually looking to upgrade my T70p with the T5p, and that itsn't a bass centric headphone so I thought I knew what to expect, but my T5p under performs. You can't judge bass quality if the bass quanity just isn't there. There are some other issues as well, such that the recessed mid section and weak transients which really amount to no visceral impact. Thats certainly not what the recording egineers intented nor what music is supposed to be about. Neutral should not be boring.
I do find that using the high gain on my E18 helps alot, pushing forward those recessed mids, and little more bass but its still not as natural as the T70p. I'm kinda stuck, I don't know where to go next. I really like Beyerdynamic, should I try a different pair? should I try the Custom One Pro Plus? How is the Ultrasone Edition 8?

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,880 of 1,963

It appears that no two T5P headphones are exactly the same. Some people claim to be getting plenty of bass and others like myself are not. I'm not a bass head, I was actually looking to upgrade my T70p with the T5p, and that itsn't a bass centric headphone so I thought I knew what to expect, but my T5p under performs. You can't judge bass quality if the bass quanity just isn't there. There are some other issues as well, such that the recessed mid section and weak transients which really amount to no visceral impact. Thats certainly not what the recording egineers intented nor what music is supposed to be about. Neutral should not be boring.
I do find that using the high gain on my E18 helps alot, pushing forward those recessed mids, and little more bass but its still not as natural as the T70p. I'm kinda stuck, I don't know where to go next. I really like Beyerdynamic, should I try a different pair? should I try the Custom One Pro Plus? How is the Ultrasone Edition 8?

It seems to me like you got a crappy T5p.   Is there any chance you can exchange it for another pair?

You can try the DT 1770.  Plakat (member who used to post in this thread) replaced his T70 with a T5p, and last time I spoke to him, he was going to replace the T5p with a DT1770.    Send him a PM, perhaps he can give you some guidance (he is the resident Beyer expert
biggrin.gif
).

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,881 of 1,963
If you don't like Beyer T5p at first place (assume that it's 100% working normally), simply please try another type or another brand 
wink.gif

T5p is a good headphone, but doesn't mean everybody in this world will love it, there's always matter of preference.

ED8 is waayy too different compare to T70P, unless you looking for something very different sound to T70p, then I think should avoid ED8 as well.

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,882 of 1,963
Hey didn't Jude promise to review these 5 years ago?! Did I miss it somewhere in the 126 pages?

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #1,883 of 1,963

My Ultrasone Edition 8 has a degree of tight bass, as well as clear transparent treble. My T 5 p is even more transparent, seeming more like an open headphone and more similar to my beloved Grados. But it does not have a lot of bass.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,884 of 1,963

ether-c.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,885 of 1,963
T 5 p on sale at Amazon Warehouse, about $467 using 15% discount code. Used "Very Good" condition. Apply 15% coupon to this.this.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,886 of 1,963
Nov 30, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,887 of 1,963
Very good points around guys! Going to try the Audeze EL-8´s in a couple of days, they are priced at the exact same level here in Sweden. If I like them more I will exchange, if not I will invest in a really god AMP for the T5P. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,888 of 1,963
  Very good points around guys! Going to try the Audeze EL-8´s in a couple of days, they are priced at the exact same level here in Sweden. If I like them more I will exchange, if not I will invest in a really god AMP for the T5P. 

quite possibly the most controversial headphone out there! You are certainly jumping right into the deepest headphone wars. Good luck :)

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,890 of 1,963
@EricRamberg 
t5p har bra synergy med HEGEL HD12.

Jag rekommenderar Beyerdynamic DT150! Du borde testa dem, en av dem bästa slutna hörlurar oavsett pris! Med bra förstärkare/källan dem låter som en high end vinyl spelare.
DT150 har riktigt bra mellanregistret och rösterna låter fantastiskt!!!  DT150 är min favorit hörlur när det gäller vocal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back