beyerdynamic T51p & T51i impressions thread
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #167 of 191
Hi folks I'm looking at modding my T51p to a detachable cable and wondered if anyone has tried this? I'm trying to determine a suitable 3.5mm chassis mount jack socket size but it's so cramped in the driver housing I'm struggling a bit to find something suitable.

Also, wondering if anybody else has had issues with the cable on these? I'm on my 5th recabling :hear_no_evil: to be fair I commute through the city a lot and I'm usually rushing too much to be super careful but all the times the cable has broke is when it has caught on a door handle or similar and the cable always detaches at the driver housing or the y terminal. I love the sound sig but I need something more rugged or detachable!

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #168 of 191
Anyone tried these headphones through the Dragonfly Red? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
I use my new T51i with iPhone7+ and Dragonfly red, it improves the sound, but you loose the “i”-functions (mic and control buttons)! With the Dragonfly the bass becomes tighter and highs become clearer, the overall resolution improves. However, using the T51 with my Violectric HPA-V280 improves their sound so much more (like several people said: they scale well), so it’s worth considering a portable DAC/Amp combination instead.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #169 of 191
Just got mine in the mail today after a bargain impulse buy. All of the no run in required talk made me really worried when I plugged them in to my Mojo and out came a big blurry bloated mess.

I figured what the hell and put back on my 580s for a couple of hours leaving the t51i running on output two.

Tried them again straight after the 580 even using the same album and they now sound fun, but detailed which is a what I was hoping for originally. I am going to leave them running overnight and try again at the start of my working day tomorrow.

So... If you get them and they sound as rough as a badgers rear end leave them running for a while.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #170 of 191
Hi folks I'm looking at modding my T51p to a detachable cable and wondered if anyone has tried this? I'm trying to determine a suitable 3.5mm chassis mount jack socket size but it's so cramped in the driver housing I'm struggling a bit to find something suitable.

Also, wondering if anybody else has had issues with the cable on these? I'm on my 5th recabling :hear_no_evil: to be fair I commute through the city a lot and I'm usually rushing too much to be super careful but all the times the cable has broke is when it has caught on a door handle or similar and the cable always detaches at the driver housing or the y terminal. I love the sound sig but I need something more rugged or detachable!
How did you get on with this?

Jun 24, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #171 of 191
I bought them a month ago. I like them but they really need this !!:

NQgnRcG.gif

don't you think :) ?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #172 of 191
With quite a bit of travelling on the horizon, I reassessed my portable rig. Despite owning quite a few of them and constantly trying, I still dislike IEMs. I find them intrusive (invasive?) and uncomfortable. On the whole, there are few new choices for truly portable high performance portable cans. I tried tweaking the living daylights out of my HD-25s (full Custom Cans mods, Yaxi pads, foams removed, various aftermarket cables), but I couldn’t get them where they need to be! I tried using Focal Spirit Pros on the go- the sound quality was better, but they are too bulky and fragile (and need a tube amp to give of their best). Having recently acquired a modest Aune B1S amp (with the option of pure Class A operation) I was astounded by what the T51p can do. There is real synergy there. The treble “veil” still bothers me, though. To cut a long story short, I have just sent them to Forza Audio Works for the full Claire Hybrid treatment. Should be interesting!

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #173 of 191
forget about mini-Beyer treble, the cups and earpads are simply too small, it is forever bottlenecked without more drastic modifications that may also compromise bass and isolation

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #174 of 191
My T51p are back from Poland. What a difference! More to follow.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #177 of 191
Yup, the stock cable is nasty. It has a negative effect on SQ as well. That’s why I upgraded mine- it’s transformed these cans.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #178 of 191
So can anyone tell me: is having sudden major volume loss in one ear likely to be a cable issue? I asked this in another thread already, but no replies.
I wiggle and jiggle the cable and get no cut-out or change, so it doesn't seem to be a bad cable this time. Had two go bad with the typical wiggle stuff already, but out of warranty this time.
How much does a decent new cable cost? I'm not worried about improving the sound with a pricy one; when I'm on the go the quality of these phones is already totally fine for me. If I want awesomeness, my stereo is waiting. :)
Cheers

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #179 of 191
So can anyone tell me: is having sudden major volume loss in one ear likely to be a cable issue?

Could be a cable issue or a driver issue. If its a T51i and the right channel, it could also be the remote. No way to know without trying with a different cable. From what I read, the cable is a much more likely cause, but I have 2 pairs, both had this problem, in one case it was the cable, in the other it was the driver AND cable. Mind that I bought both as "damaged for repairs", so its not like they all fail.

Yup, the stock cable is nasty. It has a negative effect on SQ as well. That’s why I upgraded mine- it’s transformed these cans.

Still waiting for details :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #180 of 191
Could be a cable issue or a driver issue. If its a T51i and the right channel, it could also be the remote. No way to know without trying with a different cable. From what I read, the cable is a much more likely cause, but I have 2 pairs, both had this problem, in one case it was the cable, in the other it was the driver AND cable. Mind that I bought both as "damaged for repairs", so its not like they all fail.
Are you saying you had exactly my issue and found it was the cable?: low volume with absolutely no apparent cable crackle/cut-out when wiggling the cable anywhere?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back