Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #436 of 766
Thanks for your reply
It's my first upgrade so I'm lack a lot of experience and I welcome your and others suggestions

I'd like a pair of good close headphone to use when I travel, but that will do confortambly also at home.

I listen to all genre of music but especially rock, progressive rock, classic and jazz
I like some bass but I like music to be play as it was intended to, not overwhelmed by it

I guess I'm looking to the T5 because, being their flagship, I consider them to be a reference in sound and I don't want to end up with the dt177x regretting that better sound, which somehow is what happened after a while with the hd598.

In the other hand I read a lot of review talking good about the dt and I guess they'll make a great pair of headphone.
Also they're cheaper and leave me the chance to look to a new open headphone too, in the same price range and a little later...
If you don't want excessive bass, the new T5 won't be your cup of tea. When you put on the T5 (3rd Generation) for the first time, 2 things will immediately stick out - for starters, the mid-bass is heavy and a little bloated. Secondly, the overall signature is dark, thanks to an attenuated treble response that is smooth and devoid of peaks.

On the other hand, the DT 1770 PRO isn't a neutral headphone; rather, it is somewhat "v-shaped", with slightly boosted bass accompanying a strident and brilliant treble section. However, it's certainly a better fit for a greater number of genres than the T5, IMO.

If you want a warmer version of the DT 1770 PRO, try the AEON 2 Closed.

However, if you want something's that relatively neutral with decent technical chops, but is also portable, try the AKG K371.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #437 of 766
If you don't want excessive bass, the new T5 won't be your cup of tea. When you put on the T5 (3rd Generation) for the first time, 2 things will immediately stick out - for starters, the mid-bass is heavy and a little bloated. Secondly, the overall signature is dark, thanks to an attenuated treble response that is smooth and devoid of peaks.

On the other hand, the DT 1770 PRO isn't a neutral headphone; rather, it is somewhat "v-shaped", with slightly boosted bass accompanying a strident and brilliant treble section. However, it's certainly a better fit for a greater number of genres than the T5, IMO.

If you want a warmer version of the DT 1770 PRO, try the AEON 2 Closed.

However, if you want something's that relatively neutral with decent technical chops, but is also portable, try the AKG K371.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #440 of 766
Anyone that owns the T5 3rd gen should try them on with Yaxi TH 900 pads
How are they in terms of comfort? Have some dekoni pads but the foam is stiffer and the pads are thicker.... So the clamp force is a bit much for me.

How do those pads since and which ones are you using? (Suede, leather?)

Are you also using your t5's without the baffle?

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #441 of 766
I just changed the pads. The yaxi are FAR more comfortable, they are slightly bigger by a 2-3 millimeters so a bit fidgety to get on. And the sound is not that bloated.
I have both suade and leather Yaxi pads - suade/alcantara pads make the t5 sound less thick. But I prefer the leather yaxi better - better defined mids and bass.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #442 of 766
I just changed the pads. The yaxi are FAR more comfortable, they are slightly bigger by a 2-3 millimeters so a bit fidgety to get on. And the sound is not that bloated.
I have both suade and leather Yaxi pads - suade/alcantara pads make the t5 sound less thick. But I prefer the leather yaxi better - better defined mids and bass.
Is the foam soft?

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #444 of 766
Hello, the T5 3rd came today and listening them with the iBasso dx300. Wow, the sound is great! Very big stage, warm and bold sound but very detailed at the same time. the problem is that i have the Xelento:) Which arent worse at all to my surprise. The stage is even wider in them but not as deep and the trebles arent as 3 dimentional due to the smaller driver. But the space, detal, dynamics, bass is on the same level. Will burn in the T5 more but dont think will get much of the difference. Will think of sending them back next week. Pity because i really love them but these Xelentos are magical.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #448 of 766
For dynamic drivers, my favorite budget can is still the Meze 99 Classics. I'm still using the OG pads (have 2 sets). In the lower mid fi realm, my favorite is the Ibasso SR2. The mids are the star of the show with both of these cans imo. Both have smooth treble, that some would consider darkish. Can anyone make some comparisons between the 99 Classics and the T5 3rd? Or the SR2 and the T5 3rd? I'm still trying to figure out just how dark this headphone is. I'm still searching for my end game closed back, primarily listening to rock and metal from the 80s. I don't like bright, but I don't like dark either. Smooth and present, with a touch of extension in the higher frequencies.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #449 of 766
For dynamic drivers, my favorite budget can is still the Meze 99 Classics. I'm still using the OG pads (have 2 sets). In the lower mid fi realm, my favorite is the Ibasso SR2. The mids are the star of the show with both of these cans imo. Both have smooth treble, that some would consider darkish. Can anyone make some comparisons between the 99 Classics and the T5 3rd? Or the SR2 and the T5 3rd? I'm still trying to figure out just how dark this headphone is. I'm still searching for my end game closed back, primarily listening to rock and metal from the 80s. I don't like bright, but I don't like dark either. Smooth and present, with a touch of extension in the higher frequencies.
99 Classics vs T5 --- no comparison really ... the meze has SEVERELY bloated bass to the point of distortion.
SR2 vs T5 --- SR2 is the more neutral one of the two, has more accentuated mids as well. It is also the more comfortable one of the two. T5 with yaxi pads is on par with comfort however.... but is it worth the price jump ? - no, not at all. It is only worth it if you Need Closed cans.
You should have a look at the Drop Aeon Closed X or Aeon Noire
Between the Noire/Closed X and T5 .... honestly i am not sure which one i would pick. Probably the Noire if price is not an issue. Closed X is amazing value however ... especially now.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #450 of 766
99 Classics vs T5 --- no comparison really ... the meze has SEVERELY bloated bass to the point of distortion.
SR2 vs T5 --- SR2 is the more neutral one of the two, has more accentuated mids as well. It is also the more comfortable one of the two. T5 with yaxi pads is on par with comfort however.... but is it worth the price jump ? - no, not at all. It is only worth it if you Need Closed cans.
You should have a look at the Drop Aeon Closed X or Aeon Noire
Between the Noire/Closed X and T5 .... honestly i am not sure which one i would pick. Probably the Noire if price is not an issue. Closed X is amazing value however ... especially now.
The 99s really aren't that bloated with the original pads. I've heard much worse. My listening comes from portable devices. The Aeon is too hard to push with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back