Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #466 of 766
I may have asked this before, but I shall ask again. Can anyone compare / contrast these with the Ibasso SR2? They sound like they may be similar in the upper frequencies, but quite different in the lower registers.
I was hoping for a big sale today on the SR2's somewhere, but...

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #468 of 766
Actually, I more like the 2nd generation look of T5P
But is very treble centered. I owned them last year and they had to be highly EQ'd to even be listeneable.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #469 of 766
So I’ve been looking for a good solid closed back headphone for a while now and been trying to narrow down options. I had originally purchased a Kennerton Magni however had to return it so looking again. The two main ones I’ve been looking at is the T5 3rd gen and the Audeze LCD 2c closed. I mainly listen to indie, rock, jazz and classical and my main opened back headphone is my focal clear. Looking for something quite different to the clear. Would the T5 3rd Gen would be a good option?

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #470 of 766
So I’ve been looking for a good solid closed back headphone for a while now and been trying to narrow down options. I had originally purchased a Kennerton Magni however had to return it so looking again. The two main ones I’ve been looking at is the T5 3rd gen and the Audeze LCD 2c closed. I mainly listen to indie, rock, jazz and classical and my main opened back headphone is my focal clear. Looking for something quite different to the clear. Would the T5 3rd Gen would be a good option?
I have both (Clear OG and T5) and yes they are quite different. The T5 is quite the chameleon that changes it's sound signature a lot based on the pads you chose. Stock pads are tiny but give a direct and up front sound. Soundstage is impressive and precise for a closed-back. I'd swap the pads though for something a big larger like Dekoni sheepskin pads.
I have also tried the LCD 2C closed and sent those back after a few days due to their weight. Pleasing sound but quite heavy.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #471 of 766
I have both (Clear OG and T5) and yes they are quite different. The T5 is quite the chameleon that changes it's sound signature a lot based on the pads you chose. Stock pads are tiny but give a direct and up front sound. Soundstage is impressive and precise for a closed-back. I'd swap the pads though for something a big larger like Dekoni sheepskin pads.
I have also tried the LCD 2C closed and sent those back after a few days due to their weight. Pleasing sound but quite heavy.
Hi Arielext,

Thanks for the response. Are the pads easy enough to change or remove? My main concern about the Audeze was the weight and I cannot demo where I am so need to go based on reviews, FR charts etc. I’ve heard the T5 is quite dark sounding? I have a Audioquest Nighthawk, Do they share similar characteristics?

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #472 of 766
But is very treble centered. I owned them last year and they had to be highly EQ'd to even be listeneable.
A bit too much posts to read them all so I'm gonna go straight ahead: you have/had the T5 3rd? How's the treble compared to T5p.2?

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #473 of 766
Hi Arielext,

Thanks for the response. Are the pads easy enough to change or remove? My main concern about the Audeze was the weight and I cannot demo where I am so need to go based on reviews, FR charts etc. I’ve heard the T5 is quite dark sounding? I have a Audioquest Nighthawk, Do they share similar characteristics?
Pads are easily swappable. Like most modern Beyerdynamics you can either twist on the new pair or you can use the mounting ring. Both ways are easy once you get the hang of it. Pads are not glued on for example (Audeze ... :frowning2: )
They are dark due to 3 flaws:
- a massive mid bass bump
- 2 dips (~ 2.5 khz and 4.5 khz)
I think that the 2 dips are less present with the dekoni pads but I did EQ the mid bass down a bit.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #474 of 766
A bit too much posts to read them all so I'm gonna go straight ahead: you have/had the T5 3rd? How's the treble compared to T5p.2?
The T5 is Much more balanced. I have never felt the urge to EQ it. Better bass too.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #475 of 766
The T5 is Much more balanced. U gave never felt the urge to EQ it. Better bass too.

The T5 gen.3 have a baffle insert which removes much of the treble peaks of the T5 gen.2. and I can see why this was done...even though I enjoyed the g2.

I have actually been using the new gen 3 without this baffle, which makes it very similar to gen.2. with more airiness and treble sparkle (a tad much actually). I have also enjoyed it as is, with different pads, and some EQ helps. I will probably try with the baffles back in, and EQ treble from there since they remove a bit too much of the sparkle/airiness that helps support the soundstage. Oratory has a preset I will try for the gen 3.

I am no expert, but they seem to respond pretty well to EQ.

Say what you may about the low-key looks, I appreciate that Beyer does not completely revamp their headphones every few years, as you can expect durability and lots of aftermarket support that drives the costs down compared to a lot of similarly priced headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #476 of 766
The T5 gen.3 have a baffle insert which removes much of the treble peaks of the T5 gen.2. and I can see why this was done...even though I enjoyed the g2.

I have actually been using the new gen 3 without this baffle, which makes it very similar to gen.2. with more airiness and treble sparkle (a tad much actually). I have also enjoyed it as is, with different pads, and some EQ helps. I will probably try with the baffles back in, and EQ treble from there since they remove a bit too much of the sparkle/airiness that helps support the soundstage. Oratory has a preset I will try for the gen 3.

I am no expert, but they seem to respond pretty well to EQ.

Say what you may about the low-key looks, I appreciate that Beyer does not completely revamp their headphones every few years, as you can expect durability and lots of aftermarket support that drives the costs down compared to a lot of similarly priced headphones.
The treble peaks, you mean the sibilance? Maybe my ears have gotten used to it. I no longer am very sensitive to that anymore and I used to be.
I rather not use any EQ as my intention is owning different headphones to enjoy different sounds. I pick depending on my mood. I need to block noise? I got my T5p.2 and Amiron Wireless. Sound is no problem? I got my Amiron Home. Resting my head while watching series on my bed at nights? I got my Airpods non-Pro. I assume the 3rd gen earpads works for gen2 too? The inside pads too but they're a bit pricey. Beyer is now providing service parts for T5 and T1 3rd.

The T5 is Much more balanced. I have never felt the urge to EQ it. Better bass too.
Then my ears have gotten used to it better than I expected. I needed to be very careful. Or maybe I'm just stubborn? :p
If I didn't buy my T5p.2 back in December 2019, I may have gotten the 3rd. Getting both is a bit senseless to me personally.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #477 of 766
The treble peaks, you mean the sibilance? Maybe my ears have gotten used to it. I no longer am very sensitive to that anymore and I used to be.
I rather not use any EQ as my intention is owning different headphones to enjoy different sounds. I pick depending on my mood. I need to block noise? I got my T5p.2 and Amiron Wireless. Sound is no problem? I got my Amiron Home. Resting my head while watching series on my bed at nights? I got my Airpods non-Pro. I assume the 3rd gen earpads works for gen2 too? The inside pads too but they're a bit pricey. Beyer is now providing service parts for T5 and T1 3rd.

Then my ears have gotten used to it better than I expected. I needed to be very careful. Or maybe I'm just stubborn? :p
If I didn't buy my T5p.2 back in December 2019, I may have gotten the 3rd. Getting both is a bit senseless to me personally.
Two very different headphones, IMO. I would think that if a person likes one model then they would probably not like the other.

Although I wrote that before and someone jumped right up to say they love both so...
:smile:

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #478 of 766
Two very different headphones, IMO. I would think that if a person likes one model then they would probably not like the other.

Although I wrote that before and someone jumped right up to say they love both so...
:smile:
Yeah, that can happen haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back