Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #451 of 766
The 99s really aren't that bloated with the original pads. I've heard much worse. My listening comes from portable devices. The Aeon is too hard to push with what I have.
I didn't find the Meze 99's bloated at all. They were my favourite mobile headphone. I found them light, comfortable, beautiful and Very easy to drive. The perfect partner for my LG V30 or Sony DAP.
I loved the sound and so did every co-worker or friend that ever tried them. The only reason I sold them is that I haven't worked for quite a while so I didn't really need an "on the go" pair.

The only bad thing I could say about them is that I didn't feel they scaled up well with my home gear. Similar issue I had with the HD58X's.

To my ears, I enjoyed the Meze 99's much more than my T5's, which are currently for sale.

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #452 of 766
I didn't find the Meze 99's bloated at all. They were my favourite mobile headphone. I found them light, comfortable, beautiful and Very easy to drive. The perfect partner for my LG V30 or Sony DAP.
I loved the sound and so did every co-worker or friend that ever tried them. The only reason I sold them is that I haven't worked for quite a while so I didn't really need an "on the go" pair.

The only bad thing I could say about them is that I didn't feel they scaled up well with my home gear. Similar issue I had with the HD58X's.

To my ears, I enjoyed the Meze 99's much more than my T5's, which are currently for sale.
Good to know. That's about a wrap then. The T5 3rd shall be a no go. Have you found the mature, adult version of the 99 Classics in anything else? Most people suggest the Atticus.

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #453 of 766
Good to know. That's about a wrap then. The T5 3rd shall be a no go. Have you found the mature, adult version of the 99 Classics in anything else? Most people suggest the Atticus.
My new favourite closed back is maybe my new favourite headphone, period. The LSA HP-2 blew me away. They have a type of clear, articulate bass I have never heard before. The mids and high end are the same.

The last couple of days I am enjoying the T60 Argons but I keep thinking about the HP-2's.
:grin:

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #454 of 766
My new favourite closed back is maybe my new favourite headphone, period. The LSA HP-2 blew me away. They have a type of clear, articulate bass I have never heard before. The mids and high end are the same.

The last couple of days I am enjoying the T60 Argons but I keep thinking about the HP-2's.
:grin:
I had the HP-3. It was too bright and a bit fatiguing for me. Definitely the most dynamic headphone I've ever heard. Maybe a little too much. When I asked the owner, he said that the HP-2 was relatively the same, but with better soundstage, separation, and a little more bass.

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #455 of 766
I had the HP-3. It was too bright and a bit fatiguing for me. Definitely the most dynamic headphone I've ever heard. Maybe a little too much. When I asked the owner, he said that the HP-2 was relatively the same, but with better soundstage, separation, and a little more bass.
I LOVE the HP-2's. Most headphones are an incremental bump up, in the same price range. These were a large step up for me. I am Very curious now about the HP-1's and the HP Diamonds. He's got some sales right now, but I am too poor.
:ksc75smile:

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #456 of 766
Have decided to keep the T5.3, i like them a lot with the ibasso dx300. have a question- what replacement cable would you recommend? I hate the stock one- its too long and stiff. I will be using them as portables so i need light and short cable- 4 feet max (1,2m). I dont need balanced one, it seems that the tp5.3 dont like too much amplification. From ibasso dx300 i get 350 mW from single out which is perfect for these headphones. From balanced i get almost 1.5 W and the sound becomes too distant and the bass drops significantly. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #457 of 766
I bought a 2nd handed pair this week and it came like-new but with an additional set of pads: those of the Amiron wireless set. I think it's something worth checking for those that experience discomfort with the stock pads. Haven't swapped to the stock pads yet to check the sound differences so I might be a little too soon with my enthusiasm :)
To increase the comfort even further I created a monster by adding a lohbstrap (these kind of things: https://imgur.com/Dc9V9AR) to distribute the weight on top better: works like a charm! A long term solution might be something like this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08HQGTR7D though I'm not sure if the yokes will extend enough.

For now: good to have a high quality Beyerdynamic in the stable again!

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #458 of 766
Here is a picture of my monstrosity
IMG_20211126_143749_hdr.jpg
I'm using the elastics from a throw away mouth mask.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #459 of 766
I am now thinking that I might keep the T5's. I put them on sale for about two weeks and didn't get any nibbles. They sound good, they isolate well and they are easy to drive. I got them for a very good price and I am not sure I would want to risk my LSA HP-2 in a mobile role.

I am also keeping my T60 Argons, but the phone or DAP does nothing great with them.

So, I think I'll leave them in the headphone cabinet until I need a mobile set.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #460 of 766
I am now thinking that I might keep the T5's. I put them on sale for about two weeks and didn't get any nibbles. They sound good, they isolate well and they are easy to drive. I got them for a very good price and I am not sure I would want to risk my LSA HP-2 in a mobile role.

I am also keeping my T60 Argons, but the phone or DAP does nothing great with them.

So, I think I'll leave them in the headphone cabinet until I need a mobile set.
The T5 isn't popular, perhaps also due to the T1 gen 3? Dunno. It's not like these have major flaws sound-wise.
I've swapped pads a few times now and the Amiron pads are a welcome addition. The sound is a bit more distant if compared to the stock pads.

Now to compare them to the Focal Celestee

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #461 of 766
The T5 isn't popular, perhaps also due to the T1 gen 3? Dunno. It's not like these have major flaws sound-wise.
I've swapped pads a few times now and the Amiron pads are a welcome addition. The sound is a bit more distant if compared to the stock pads.

The Celestee is a headphone that interests me, I guess because I love my Elex's. I have tried to trade for them a few times with no luck.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #462 of 766

Have you taken out the baffles?

My main issue on the t5 is the clamp force..8 have tried to stretch it out, but it's still a bit much. I picked them up with some dekoni pads, which are a bit thick, though the suede is somewhat more comfortable.

I am trying to decide between the t5 and the DCA Noire, the latter which is super comfortable but doesn't have quite the soundstage, imaging and impact of the t5 that suits electronic music really well (about 50% of my listening)

It's a hard choice...

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #463 of 766
For now I have the baffles in. About that clamp: try to bend the yokes as well a bit. You can bend the headband, but also the yokes near the Y split; that normally helps me with beyerdynamic headphones.

I have owned the æon noire's and they are lovely! I sent them back due to my big head. DCA headphones are either comfortable or you have bad luck since those can't really be altered to fit your needs.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #464 of 766
The Celestee is a headphone that interests me, I guess because I love my Elex's. I have tried to trade for them a few times with no luck.
It's something special. Having that focal slam in a closed-back! Except for the radiance I have own(ed) all Focal closed-backs. The Celestee follows the harman curve quite closely and doesn't need much (if any) EQ. The image width is sub par though.

For my 1st impressions comparing the 2 (T5 vs Celestee): they have their strengths and weaknesses. The slam of the Celestee is impressive. The soundstage of the T5 is equally as impressive. The Celestee demands attention while the T5 is more laid back.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #465 of 766
I may have asked this before, but I shall ask again. Can anyone compare / contrast these with the Ibasso SR2? They sound like they may be similar in the upper frequencies, but quite different in the lower registers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back