Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #421 of 766
I just ordered the 105 mm one
4th of October , delivery day
I'll be back when I get them, thank you
Another question, please 🤐
Does the custom cables make a difference for the sound quality ?
A question that can open a box of snakes (or snake oil :wink:) If you don't know you probably will not notice any difference :wink:

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #422 of 766
Custom cables make a difference for headphones of this grade. Lo-fi headphones, don't waste your money.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #424 of 766
If you have special requirements like another termination or a different length, custom cables may help. The stock kranke is of very high quality, so soundwise just don’t bother

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #426 of 766
Custom cables make a difference for headphones of this grade. Lo-fi headphones, don't waste your money.
I've never been a huge believer in cables, but that's a discussion for another time and place.

Nevertheless, I've always wondered - if a cable works as intended, why won't its (positive) effects apply to lower-grade headphones? Why should the effect be apparent only with higher-end cans? I'm not trying to be belligerent here, though, so forgive me if I'm coming across with a less-than-ideal tone.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #427 of 766
I've never been a huge believer in cables, but that's a discussion for another time and place.

Nevertheless, I've always wondered - if a cable works as intended, why won't its (positive) effects apply to lower-grade headphones? Why should the effect be apparent only with higher-end cans? I'm not trying to be belligerent here, though, so forgive me if I'm coming across with a less-than-ideal tone.
Different material conductors, different material insulation, and different conductor geometry all affect sound one way or another, for the positive or the negative.

However, the amount of effect on sound may or may not be perceptible, depending on your playback chain. The more transparent your system, the more easy it is to hear changes in equipment, changes in cabling, power conditioning, tweaks, etc.

It isn't that only high end cans are capable of portraying differences in equipment (or cables), it is just that they are more likely to be able to do so. Besides, with a lower cost system, you will get more bang for your buck by upgrading components, vs cabling, power conditioning, etc.

Since we are on a T5 3 thread, this headphone is certainly high enough performance to reflect changes in your playback chain - including cabling.

I hope that all makes sense...

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #428 of 766
What are sound differences between T5.3 and T1.3 ?

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #429 of 766

For analog audio signal, it is mostly the impedence, capacitance, and shielding characteristics of cable which are making the difference. To say all cables are the same is like saying all inductors and capacitors are the same regardless of their values. That said, whether those differences are perceivable, and enough to justisfy the price differences are always personally relative.

Like 3G, 4G and 5G mobile networks, you will need 5G if you would like to do 4K movie streaming, but it does not matter if all you do is message texting. So you also only need high grade headphones (and cables) if you are listening to high quality recordings.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #430 of 766
I use a Hart Audio Cable only because I have all my amps and most of my headphones wired with them for ease of access. I don't notice any sound difference with them.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #431 of 766
Has anyone had issues with the 6.5mm-1/4" adapter for the new T5? Mine is not very snugg and the sound cuts if you brush up or move the cord often. I am not sure why Beyer did not make this a screw-on adapter at this price bracket...or at least one which works given that its $1k price warrants that much.

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #432 of 766
Hi everyone!
I'm considering buying the T5, but i would like to know if someone could compare them to the dt177x or even the 1770?
There's indeed a big difference in price, but it would be nice to hear some suggestions and if I should rather go for the dt177x and let's say another open set like the the dt1990 or the hd660

I'm currently using a mojo with an hd598

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #433 of 766
Hi everyone!
I'm considering buying the T5, but i would like to know if someone could compare them to the dt177x or even the 1770?
There's indeed a big difference in price, but it would be nice to hear some suggestions and if I should rather go for the dt177x and let's say another open set like the the dt1990 or the hd660

I'm currently using a mojo with an hd598
It essentially boils down to this, do you want (a lot) more bass and less treble, or a slightly "v-shaped" sound? The T5 (3rd Generation) is dark and smooth, with a heavy bass region. The DT 1770 Pro has a moderate "v-shaped" signature, with higher levels of engagement.

These 2 headphones don't sound at all alike, IMO.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #434 of 766
Thanks for your reply
It's my first upgrade so I'm lack a lot of experience and I welcome your and others suggestions

I'd like a pair of good close headphone to use when I travel, but that will do confortambly also at home.

I listen to all genre of music but especially rock, progressive rock, classic and jazz
I like some bass but I like music to be play as it was intended to, not overwhelmed by it

I guess I'm looking to the T5 because, being their flagship, I consider them to be a reference in sound and I don't want to end up with the dt177x regretting that better sound, which somehow is what happened after a while with the hd598.

In the other hand I read a lot of review talking good about the dt and I guess they'll make a great pair of headphone.
Also they're cheaper and leave me the chance to look to a new open headphone too, in the same price range and a little later...

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #435 of 766
Thanks for your reply
It's my first upgrade so I'm lack a lot of experience and I welcome your and others suggestions

I'd like a pair of good close headphone to use when I travel, but that will do confortambly also at home.

I listen to all genre of music but especially rock, progressive rock, classic and jazz
I like some bass but I like music to be play as it was intended to, not overwhelmed by it

I guess I'm looking to the T5 because, being their flagship, I consider them to be a reference in sound and I don't want to end up with the dt177x regretting that better sound, which somehow is what happened after a while with the hd598.

In the other hand I read a lot of review talking good about the dt and I guess they'll make a great pair of headphone.
Also they're cheaper and leave me the chance to look to a new open headphone too, in the same price range and a little later...
Thinking of selling mine, maybe dm, im UK😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back