Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,591 of 1,824
I had a chance to try the T1.3 out for a while...

I was coming from a DT1990 as a daily driver, looking for a complimentary warmer headphone. The T1.3 are definitely warmer but still have a lot of detail, the moment I put them on I could hear they were high resolution. They already sounded good but curiosity got the better of me and I experimented with removing the foam pads, once removed to my ears they sound better - a neutral/warm tilt with a strong bass presence but more open, detailed and the recessed mids come forward. With the foam removed they actually sound fantastic, perhaps just lacking the airy 'sparkle' of the DT1990 which tend to give a bit more life to reverb trails, although in a direct comparison the DT1990's highs can come off a bit plastic sounding. It seems the DT1990 Balanced pads were used for the T1.3, switching to the DT1990 Analytical pads does bring some more air but also reduces the bass.

I understand Beyerdynamic were going for an uber cozy/warm sound signature but I can't help but feel they clipped the wings of the T1 driver in the process, as adding the foam back makes them feel restricted and not fulfilling their true potential. I hope Beyerdynamic tune a future T1 gen to a 'super DT1990 Balanced' style as the driver honestly sounds excellent.
Have you tried the T1.2? That is essentially a better 1990. Airy but nowhere near as fatiguing.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,592 of 1,824
Have you tried the T1.2? That is essentially a better 1990. Airy but nowhere near as fatiguing.
The T1.2 has hints of both the Amiron Home and DT 1990 to it's sound though I found it leaned more towards to the Amiron Home sound signature. It's definitely more airy sounding than the T1.3

I had a chance to try the T1.3 out for a while...

I was coming from a DT1990 as a daily driver, looking for a complimentary warmer headphone. The T1.3 are definitely warmer but still have a lot of detail, the moment I put them on I could hear they were high resolution. They already sounded good but curiosity got the better of me and I experimented with removing the foam pads, once removed to my ears they sound better - a neutral/warm tilt with a strong bass presence but more open, detailed and the recessed mids come forward. With the foam removed they actually sound fantastic, perhaps just lacking the airy 'sparkle' of the DT1990 which tend to give a bit more life to reverb trails, although in a direct comparison the DT1990's highs can come off a bit plastic sounding. It seems the DT1990 Balanced pads were used for the T1.3, switching to the DT1990 Analytical pads does bring some more air but also reduces the bass.

I understand Beyerdynamic were going for an uber cozy/warm sound signature but I can't help but feel they clipped the wings of the T1 driver in the process, as adding the foam back makes them feel restricted and not fulfilling their true potential. I hope Beyerdynamic tune a future T1 gen to a 'super DT1990 Balanced' style as the driver honestly sounds excellent.
Yeah the T1.3 does take a different approach, the T1.2 is more of a super Amiron Home/DT 1990 when it's driven well. The T1.3 shifts the T1.2 sound to a darker more warm bass-focused sound with powerful dynamics. I'm personally thinking of getting another open Beyer to compliment my T1.3 because I do miss having a brighter Beyer, but curious if they release anything new anytime soon first.

I'm personally hoping Beyers next flagship they develop a new driver technology that is superior to the Tesla drivers.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,593 of 1,824
The T1.2 has hints of both the Amiron Home and DT 1990 to it's sound though I found it leaned more towards to the Amiron Home sound signature. It's definitely more airy sounding than the T1.3

Yeah the T1.3 does take a different approach, the T1.2 is more of a super Amiron Home/DT 1990 when it's driven well. The T1.3 shifts the T1.2 sound to a darker more warm bass-focused sound with powerful dynamics. I'm personally thinking of getting another open Beyer to compliment my T1.3 because I do miss having a brighter Beyer, but curious if they release anything new anytime soon first.

I'm personally hoping Beyers next flagship they develop a new driver technology that is superior to the Tesla drivers.
Try a Fostex TH909. Phenomenal headphone. I run mine from a Mojo 2 and it's smile inducing every single time you hear it. As you know I've loved Beyers over the last several years, and the Fostex feels like a really satisfying upgrade. Fast, detailed, airy. Gives that wonderful holographic feel that the T1.2 has.

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #1,594 of 1,824

Funny you say about missing the Beyer brightness. My brain also misses that classic ZING!

Makes your eyes pop open and the jolt down the spine to feet.

Its nice to be cozy, but in reality, there are sounds which shouldn't be warm and cozy.

E.g some old-school hip hop songs they would use sound effects of police sirens and bang bang sound. And well with warm dark lush headphones they just don't get that section of the brain to release the s hot of adrenaline.

Though folk songs and such like jazz it can be more intoxicating when smooth and warm and all encompassing.

It's really hard to get all that in one Beyer.

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #1,595 of 1,824
Will keep an eye out... I've seen them on ebay recently but all the good examples are now sold.

Would a Mojo be enough to drive the T1.2? They claim to be able power headphones up to 600ohm but suspect able and optimal aren't the same.

Dec 29, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #1,596 of 1,824
Will keep an eye out... I've seen them on ebay recently but all the good examples are now sold.

Would a Mojo be enough to drive the T1.2? They claim to be able power headphones up to 600ohm but suspect able and optimal aren't the same.
Mojo or Mojo 2 can power it just fine. Despite having high ohms, most of the Beyer cans are powered fairly easily (I've used the T1.2 with a Mojo).

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,597 of 1,824
Try a Fostex TH909. Phenomenal headphone. I run mine from a Mojo 2 and it's smile inducing every single time you hear it. As you know I've loved Beyers over the last several years, and the Fostex feels like a really satisfying upgrade. Fast, detailed, airy. Gives that wonderful holographic feel that the T1.2 has.
It's a bit out of my price range currently but I'll make a point to audition a pair as soon as possible. I've enjoyed previous Fostex headphones I've heard.

Funny you say about missing the Beyer brightness. My brain also misses that classic ZING!

Makes your eyes pop open and the jolt down the spine to feet.

Its nice to be cozy, but in reality, there are sounds which shouldn't be warm and cozy.

E.g some old-school hip hop songs they would use sound effects of police sirens and bang bang sound. And well with warm dark lush headphones they just don't get that section of the brain to release the s hot of adrenaline.

Though folk songs and such like jazz it can be more intoxicating when smooth and warm and all encompassing.

It's really hard to get all that in one Beyer.

Yeah don't get me wrong the T1.3 is without question my favorite headphone and Beyer and they have plenty of dynamic attack (there is also still a small amount of treble bite) and I do enjoy it for all genres and uses. It's just on occasion I miss the old-school Beyer sizzle. I've never really focused on genres when listening but rather view different headphones as different takes on things. I can generally enjoy any competent headphone on all genres and appreciate the differences they make.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #1,598 of 1,824
Hopefully not a strange question but

T1.3 or Amiron home wireless?

I read comments about the Amiron being relatively good value, a hidden gem almost.

Both pricey for me, so leaning toward the Amiron. Bluetooth a big bonus but not essential, I'm hoping I get more use from the Amiron wireless. I like Beyers, upgrading from akg k702, k712 Pro, which frankly I'm happy with but both got damaged by water.

Amps i own..... Fiio q5s. Asus xonoar stx. Probably won't be upgrading them, so the Amiron makes more sense I think

Thanks

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,599 of 1,824

I read comments about the Amiron being relatively good value, a hidden gem almost.

Both pricey for me, so leaning toward the Amiron. Bluetooth a big bonus but not essential, I'm hoping I get more use from the Amiron wireless. I like Beyers, upgrading from akg k702, k712 Pro, which frankly I'm happy with but both got damaged by water.

Amps i own..... Fiio q5s. Asus xonoar stx. Probably won't be upgrading them, so the Amiron makes more sense I think

Thanks
The wireless is a bit of a mess. Sounds terrible (lack of bass) without a good seal, which is tough to get on it. Many, many better headphones for the same money. If the choice is one of these, then T1 all day long.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #1,601 of 1,824

Thanks
I used to own the original T1 and at1.2, but never heard the T1.3… i had the Amiron Wireless, and considered it the best wireless headphone at the time. No problem with seal or missing bass (but its no bass monster), just a bit too big for mobile use (not to speak of rain). I think it’s the more flexible option, and you can still use it with a cable as well.

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #1,602 of 1,824
Interesting thanks, that's sealed the deal I think, read a lot about the sealing problems which I find very odd from beyerdynamic

Other option is the t5 but it's even more expensive.

I'll have a think but I'm about settled on the t1.3, I'd expect it'll benefit from a decent amp/dac but that'll have to wait.

Edit to add. I went with the Amiron Home wired. I didn't read any problems about fitment like the Amiron Wireless so hoping they are OK.

If they suck, I'll try the T1.3

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #1,603 of 1,824
Not sure if I need my dac/amp moore!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,604 of 1,824
I really enjoying this headphone, still in constant rotation and it gets some head time at least once a week.

I love how vocals are presented, I still hear them central with the rest of the music swirling around/behind them, like nothing else in my collection.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,605 of 1,824
Hi folks!

Looking for some advice, because I was a owner of a 880t 250ohm, and I would like something bright-neutral for my collection.

Could u tell wich beyer is the closest to the tuning of the 880 with balanced-deteachable cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back