Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #1,578 of 1,824
Im not familiar with the WA8. But as long as the amp has a low output impedance and has minimal tube noise it will sound good, in fact I like the T1.3 on tubes. The T1.3 is sensitive to noise so the amp needs to have minimal tube noise.

Apology for double post.

I found with t5p.ii, b/c closed you can pick up some tube noise on OTC wa6, but it sounded good. Perhaps with the open model, some of that tube hiss is dissipated.

But on SS it is much cleaner, crisper, and retains its warm qualities (speaking t5p.ii)

But one experienced guy on here loves a paticular open back 32 ohm, the onkyo a800 which he thinks is the best headphone ever, and it's on a eddie current studio B, which is surprising, as that person seems to have/or have had every headphone out there.

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #1,579 of 1,824
Which t1 version is closest to dt880? Seems gen 3 is most "cozy"

Is the dt880 replacement found in any t series or 1990?

Thanks.
Probably the Gen 1 but it’s also different. The DT 880 won’t have the ethereal treble and imaging of the original T1. The Gen 3 is more cozy and more of an enveloping sound. Though it’s dynamics are vivid and can get dynamically intense when at higher listening levels.

The closest of the currently manufactured Tesla’s to the DT 880 is probably the DT 1990 with analytical pads.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #1,581 of 1,824
Probably the Gen 1 but it’s also different. The DT 880 won’t have the ethereal treble and imaging of the original T1. The Gen 3 is more cozy and more of an enveloping sound. Though it’s dynamics are vivid and can get dynamically intense when at higher listening levels.

The closest of the currently manufactured Tesla’s to the DT 880 is probably the DT 1990 with analytical pads.

Interesting. Ok that makes sense. I think before you said t1 even gen 1 has some warmth and smoothness characteristics that were a little stray from the more clinical sounding 880. So perhaps these 1990 w/ analytical pads truly might be the path to an upgrade.

I have yet to see a dual sided 1990. I am not sure, but over time one sided cabled have bothered me XD. Though seems like a bit of work to make 1990 dual sided.

T1.2 is as close as its gotten to 600 ohm 880 for me (never heard T1.1). I like the 1.3 but it goes in a different direction.

yeah the whole concept of smooth, warm, and cozy varies. I do enjoy warm and cozy in things like stax sigma or earpods by apple (with comply tip) which are both nice and easy listens, but cozy and beyerdynamic always have been a mixed bag, where I would think they were amazing one day, and absolutely disappointed the next.

Perhaps a lot of this is psychological. XD As I also for w/e reason "feel better" with higher impedence . Though I have 32 ohm in my stable as well :D

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,582 of 1,824
Interesting. Ok that makes sense. I think before you said t1 even gen 1 has some warmth and smoothness characteristics that were a little stray from the more clinical sounding 880. So perhaps these 1990 w/ analytical pads truly might be the path to an upgrade.

I have yet to see a dual sided 1990. I am not sure, but over time one sided cabled have bothered me XD. Though seems like a bit of work to make 1990 dual sided.

yeah the whole concept of smooth, warm, and cozy varies. I do enjoy warm and cozy in things like stax sigma or earpods by apple (with comply tip) which are both nice and easy listens, but cozy and beyerdynamic always have been a mixed bag, where I would think they were amazing one day, and absolutely disappointed the next.

Perhaps a lot of this is psychological. XD As I also for w/e reason "feel better" with higher impedence . Though I have 32 ohm in my stable as well :D
I personally found the T1.1 more on the clinical side as well at least the one I heard (gather there is variation though), like the DT 880 if you want some warmth it really needed a warmer sounding OTL amp. The T1.2 was veering towards the warm and cozy side, at least the black editions which sounded very similar to the Amiron Home but more relaxed, fuller in the mids, and warmer. Gen 3 is more meaty sounding than the other T1’s but overall cozy sounding due to having the most relaxed upper mids of the bunch, but it’s not without some treble energy but it is darker up top than the Amiron Home or T1.2. The DT 1990 with analytical pads is definitely a clinical sounding headphone.

Personally love cozy Beyers, well at least the T1.3, T5.3, Amiron Home, and T1.2’s take. Cozy Beyers are definitely a different animal. For a warm/darker headphone I actually like Beyers take on them a lot more than the HD 650, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,583 of 1,824
How are the dynamics on this can? I read three different reviews that state the T1 3rd has a soft presentation. Is it a banger, a mellow chill ride, or something in between?

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,584 of 1,824
How are the dynamics on this can? I read three different reviews that state the T1 3rd has a soft presentation. Is it a banger, a mellow chill ride, or something in between?
They're relaxed in the upper mids, they're not even close to lacking dynamics, in fact dynamics are excellent. I personally find the majority of headphones are lacking in dynamics in comparison. If you listen to at lower listening levels they are chill, but they can get intense if you turn the volume up.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #1,585 of 1,824
They're relaxed in the upper mids, they're not even close to lacking dynamics, in fact dynamics are excellent. I personally find the majority of headphones are lacking in dynamics in comparison. If you listen to at lower listening levels they are chill, but they can get intense if you turn the volume up.
Would you say that the dynamics and transient response are in the same league as headphones made by Focal and Kennerton? Anything else you might compare them with?

Nov 8, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #1,586 of 1,824
Would you say that the dynamics and transient response are in the same league as headphones made by Focal and Kennerton? Anything else you might compare them with?
Haven’t heard a Focal in ages and the only one I spent proper time with was the Elear and if compared to that, then yes. Only heard the Utopia on a couple brief instances and haven’t heard the Clear, etc. I haven’t heard any of the Kennertons. The T1.3 does have a lot of warmth and that can influence the perception of the technicalities, they’re just not in your face about it. Honestly I think the good dynamics and transients is why the headphone pulls off the unique tuning it has.

Have you heard any of the Tesla Beyers? Im most familiar with Beyers personally, haven’t had much chance to explore other high-end headphones recently. Could compare it to the Nighthawk which I had at the same time in the past and in terms of technicalities and dynamics the T1.3 is a different league.

Nov 8, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #1,587 of 1,824
Haven’t heard a Focal in ages and the only one I spent proper time with was the Elear and if compared to that, then yes. Only heard the Utopia on a couple brief instances and haven’t heard the Clear, etc. I haven’t heard any of the Kennertons. The T1.3 does have a lot of warmth and that can influence the perception of the technicalities, they’re just not in your face about it. Honestly I think the good dynamics and transients is why the headphone pulls off the unique tuning it has.

Have you heard any of the Tesla Beyers? Im most familiar with Beyers personally, haven’t had much chance to explore other high-end headphones recently. Could compare it to the Nighthawk which I had at the same time in the past and in terms of technicalities and dynamics the T1.3 is a different league.
Haven't owned or tried anything from Beyerdynamic yet. I did own the NightOwl for a decent stint, and thought it was pretty good for the most part. I'm sure I'll get around to trying the T1 3rd eventually. Just trying to get a bit better feel for it before I do.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #1,588 of 1,824
Haven't owned or tried anything from Beyerdynamic yet. I did own the NightOwl for a decent stint, and thought it was pretty good for the most part. I'm sure I'll get around to trying the T1 3rd eventually. Just trying to get a bit better feel for it before I do.
Oh okay, so not familiar with any variation of the Beyer sound, many consider the Beyer sound the treble peak many have but I always viewed it more on their transients, etc. Their subtle sound traits have always sat right with me. The T1.3 is uniquely warm sounding among the Beyers but it does still have the sonic traits of the Tesla Beyers and I could hear how the Amiron Home and T1.2 sound signature evolved into the T1.3’s sound signature.

I had the Nighthawk as a main headphone for a bit in the past but honestly the Tesla Beyers replaced them for me and just ended up with the T1.3 as the main headphone.

Nov 30, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,589 of 1,824
This headphone gets some mixed reviews and I'd like to make up my own mind. I love the DT770, DT1990 and the Xelento IEM and have dreamt of owning a flagship Beyer for many years. I like the idea of a less analytical/warmer headphone for pleasure listening and seems this may fit.

I listen to a lot of electro ambient style music with minimal vocals and often too forward upper mids at higher volume with many headphones, the kind of music which also responds to rich bass, so these seem to match that style of music on paper at least.

Does anyone know where the T1.3 can be demoed around London?

Thanks for any info :)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,590 of 1,824
I had a chance to try the T1.3 out for a while...

I was coming from a DT1990 as a daily driver, looking for a complimentary warmer headphone. The T1.3 are definitely warmer but still have a lot of detail, the moment I put them on I could hear they were high resolution. They already sounded good but curiosity got the better of me and I experimented with removing the foam pads, once removed to my ears they sound better - a neutral/warm tilt with a strong bass presence but more open, detailed and the recessed mids come forward. With the foam removed they actually sound fantastic, perhaps just lacking the airy 'sparkle' of the DT1990 which tend to give a bit more life to reverb trails, although in a direct comparison the DT1990's highs can come off a bit plastic sounding. It seems the DT1990 Balanced pads were used for the T1.3, switching to the DT1990 Analytical pads does bring some more air but also reduces the bass.

I understand Beyerdynamic were going for an uber cozy/warm sound signature but I can't help but feel they clipped the wings of the T1 driver in the process, as adding the foam back makes them feel restricted and not fulfilling their true potential. I hope Beyerdynamic tune a future T1 gen to a 'super DT1990 Balanced' style as the driver honestly sounds excellent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back