Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Jan 27, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #1,621 of 1,824
I got these headphones a couple of months ago and I absolutely LOVE them. I'm not very good at describing the technicalities of sound but there's something so physical about what they produce - really feeling the pluck of a guitar string or the 'ting' of a cymbal. Maybe it's 'separation' that they're doing so well? I also don't find there's too much or little of anything - bass/mid/treble. The clamp force is strong but I find them comfortable as they spread the force equally. There's something very pleasingly understated about their build - quality and satisfying but not showy.

For reference, my points of comparison are (at various times): Grado Hemp, Grado GH2, Focal Radiance, Meze 99 Classic, Sennheiser 660s, HifiMan Sundara. These T1.3s beat all of those, with Grado Hemp coming second.
I gently stretch my beyers' headband so it fits me perfectly without too much clamp. Don't go too hard at it, but a gentle bending shouldn't damage the structure whatsoever. You could also leave them on some block to stretch out but I personally find that problematic for the ear pads.

On T1 a broken headband is quite a bit more expensive to replace than the dt series, though, so if you're unsure I would probably let them naturally loosen up a bit as the pads get worn and etc.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,622 of 1,824
I gently stretch my beyers' headband so it fits me perfectly without too much clamp. Don't go too hard at it, but a gentle bending shouldn't damage the structure whatsoever. You could also leave them on some block to stretch out but I personally find that problematic for the ear pads.

On T1 a broken headband is quite a bit more expensive to replace than the dt series, though, so if you're unsure I would probably let them naturally loosen up a bit as the pads get worn and etc.

Thanks for the advice - as it happens I'm really not bothered by it: it's noticeably stronger than, say, Meze 99 Classics or Focal Radiance, but not uncomfortable. At this stage it feels reassuring more than anything! I'd prefer it this way than the 'phones sliding around if I move my head.

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,623 of 1,824
Just continuing love for the T1.3 here. Even though I listen to some higher-end headphones more often now, every time I put on the T1.3 I think, "I want for nothing! These headphones deserve more attention!" Very balanced, satisfying. Smooth yet dynamic. Great soundstaging. And comfortable. And sounding really good out of the tube amp I'm using...Think I'll be leaving these on for a while.

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,624 of 1,824
Is anyone using the new Meze Copper PCUHD balanced cable with these? I know that the Meze silver upgrade cable will work with the T1, but the new Copper cable has larger diameter plugs on the headphone end, so I'm not sure if they will fit in the T1 sockets.

Feb 11, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #1,625 of 1,824
The part number for the T1 Gen. 2 headband is 916137. It cost AUS $97.21 including GST. You need to order the mounting blocks and screws as well (approx extra AUS $23.00)

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,626 of 1,824
The part number for the T1 Gen. 2 headband is 916137. It cost AUS $97.21 including GST. You need to order the mounting blocks and screws as well (approx extra AUS $23.00)
Yeah, the headband is €74 in EU, but it's still like 3x the cost of headband + cushion for the DT series. And the replacement is annoying too with the stupid clips, the slider pieces on DT series are simply better designed.

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,627 of 1,824
Yeah, the headband is €74 in EU, but it's still like 3x the cost of headband + cushion for the DT series. And the replacement is annoying too with the stupid clips, the slider pieces on DT series are simply better designed.
Those clips are ridiculous - you have to break the original clips to get the old headband off and use new clips to put the new headband on.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #1,628 of 1,824
The T1.3 pads seem to be the DT 1990 balanced pads. Personally I'd like to tone down the bass on the pair I have now.

I always preferred the analytical pads on the 1990, as I found the balanced pads a bit muddy.

Which makes me wonder what the analytical pads sound like on the T1.3. Has anyone tried them?

I don't have the 1990 anymore, I might have to get a pair to try.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #1,629 of 1,824
After trying the stock T1.3, T1.2 (they are less dense than 1.3), T1.1, Dekoni's elite hybrid, elite fenestrated pads in combination with and without the inner foam disks I settled for Elite Velour pads with the inner foam disks. I get a bit less bass with increased clarity over the T1.3 pads while retaining excellent imaging.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,630 of 1,824
After trying the stock T1.3, T1.2 (they are less dense than 1.3), T1.1, Dekoni's elite hybrid, elite and fenestrated pads in combination with and without the inner foam disks I settled for Elite Velour pads with the inner foam disks. I get a bit less bass with increased clarity over the T1.3 pads while retaining excellent imaging.
That's the Dekoni Elite Velour? I might give them a try then before I potentially sell these on.

I tried the ZMF fenestrated lambskin Beyer pads but they made the bass a bit more bloomy again, and those highs slightly peakier. They weren't bad as such, just not right for these (I use them on my Grado).

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,631 of 1,824
That's the Dekoni Elite Velour? I might give them a try then before I potentially sell these on.

I tried the ZMF fenestrated lambskin Beyer pads but they made the bass a bit more bloomy again, and those highs slightly peakier. They weren't bad as such, just not right for these (I use them on my Grado).
Yes the Dekoni Elite Velour

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #1,632 of 1,824
The T1.3 pads seem to be the DT 1990 balanced pads. Personally I'd like to tone down the bass on the pair I have now.

I always preferred the analytical pads on the 1990, as I found the balanced pads a bit muddy.

Which makes me wonder what the analytical pads sound like on the T1.3. Has anyone tried them?

I don't have the 1990 anymore, I might have to get a pair to try.
Analytical pads without foam disks, made me forget about other headphones, this combination makes t1.3 a very smooth, rafined and so on, dt1990 pro.

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,634 of 1,824
Listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon Live 1974 CD right now with the T1.3 phones and it's a simply immersive experience (see what I did there?). Truly a triumph of performance and recording technology masterfully reproduced by these headphones. Currently, "The Great Gig In The Sky" is transporting me skywards. WOW!!!!

Apr 22, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,635 of 1,824
Analytical pads without foam disks, made me forget about other headphones, this combination makes t1.3 a very smooth, rafined and so on, dt1990 pro.
You were spot on. The 1990 Analytical pads help bring the vocals a bit more forward (they're very recessed with stock) and it also mildy tones down the bass. It's suddenly a bit more like a T1.2 with bass. Not sure if I prefer the foam discs in or out, either is an improvement over the stock pads for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back