Beyerdynamic Manufaktur's Gooey Gel Ear Seals! (770, 880, 990)
Dec 17, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #91 of 136
They do. But good lord I HATED them.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #92 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting pads. About the discoloration, though... are these (hand)washable?

Discoloration is not caused by dirt (ear wax). Is the white stuff inside that tends to get slightly brownish over time.

I hate the black gels and love the transparent ones. The blacks are covered with a some kind of black foil.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #93 of 136
Just got my gel pads, and wow what a difference. They are much more comfortable than the gray velour I had on my 770s. They tend to make the headphone feel lighter, less pressured on my head. The seal seems much more effective, which is the only explanation I would have for the tighter bass. Highs, such as the brass work in Verdi's Requiem, sound excellent. Can't say the midrange sounds any different.

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #95 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a need for pads that seal extremely well... what size are those? (diameter at the headphone cup end VS at the ear end)

Well, I can measure them when I return to my office on Monday; right now, I regret to say I couldn't tell you. They are Beyer products, though, so the info might be available at their site.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #97 of 136
Just picked up a pair of these, got them from headphonesolutions.

WOW these are a pain in the ass to install.....  I've already gone through 2 pairs of velour pads on my DT770 and these are 5x harder to install.

But once they are on, they sound great.

If you have the velour pads and want to know what the gel pads sound like, just press the headphones into your ears as if your headphones had 10x the clamping force that they do stock.  That makes it sound almost just like they do with the gel pads.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #98 of 136
After listening to them for a while, there are definitely pros and cons compared to the stock velour pads.

Pros: 
Much better isolation.  I could probably use my headphones at the gun range as ear protection now lol

Increased bass.

Cons:
They heat up your ears quite a bit faster than the velour pads.  My ears have already been getting sweaty and we’ve had pretty cool weather lately.  These things seem like they are going to be a nightmare on hot days.

There is more bass but I’d go as far as to say it almost sounds a bit boomier now.

-

Even though I ordered them from headphone solutions the package appears to have shipped directly from Beyerdynamic in New York.  There was almost no documentation included with the pads however there was a small piece of paper labeled “product information” and refers to the pads as being for “Aviation Headsets”.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #99 of 136
They certainly give up more bass. And you can turn down your amp compared to the velour pads; these suckers make the 990/600 LOUD! I like 'em, though. Great isolation and really strong low end.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #102 of 136
Quote:

AFIK the ones from B&H (which I have) are the same.

Quote:
Or if someone could just measure the diameter of their beyer headphone that these are going on that would give me an idea as to what range of measurements might work. 

They don't fit on my K340s, which use the same pads as the K271.  Inside diameter of the gel pads is about 60mm and outside diameter is about 100mm.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #103 of 136
i really like mine
smily_headphones1.gif
. one of the 2 earpads was a pain to put on but i got it.
smily_headphones1.gif
.some pics
biggrin.gif

P1010191.jpg

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #104 of 136
I turned my DT-770 Pros into the Dr. Sholl's Are You Gellin'!? Edition and I'm pretty happy with the results! Some great pad-rollin' fun for only $35!

* I love my Beyer velour but these are unique and comfy - they're quite form-fitting and distribute earcup pressure evenly. They're a little deeper than the standard velour pads so my ears never touch the foam over the driver.

* Not sure if these would be optimal in a warmer environment but they're perfect in my freezing-as cold workplace! If I put them on after they've been sitting for a while, it's like flipping over your pillow to get to the cold side. :)

* The main reason I bought these is to provide more isolation for my ongoing battle with vacuums/noisy coworkers. The isolation is boosted to near-Sennheiser HD 280 levels.

* I'm not sure if I can tell much difference in the mids/highs but the bass is definitely louder/tighter due to the near airtight seal the gel provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back