Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Pro Review
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #17 of 30
is the o2 amp enough?

yes it is! .. however the O2 adds no particular flavour to the sound .. and might not be recommended with the dt 990 pro which is itself is colored for 'fun' ... you might more like what cmoy bb has to offer .. or a tube ..this is completely speculative .. but i will stand with objective synergy with the O2.

regards

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

yes it is! .. however the O2 adds no particular flavour to the sound .. and might not be recommended with the dt 990 pro which is itself is colored for 'fun' ... you might more like what cmoy bb has to offer .. or a tube ..this is completely speculative .. but i will stand with objective synergy with the O2.

regards

Thanks for help man

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 30
ok, driving the beyer dt990 out of my ibasso dx100 sounds fatiguing to my ears, i at this time have my friends amp that i will have to return back to him, its a dared mp5 tube amp. i line out to that amp and it seems like its less fatiguing. i havent done that much listening but this is what i find so far. so im thinking tube amp is probably the way to go with these like turgid said... 

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
quote.gif

regards

I don't get it. If the dt 990 is "fun colored", then you would want to pair it with a flat amp, no ? You don't want to "flavour" the original sound twice?

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 30
I don't get it. If the dt 990 is "fun colored", then you would want to pair it with a flat amp, no ? You don't want to "flavour" the original sound twice?

Hi the 990 PROs have a very forward and at times piercing treble, their mids are slightly behind the full bass and treble. None the less the mids are awesome and a league of its own really. Now the O2 as Clieos once described is just transparent, anything out of an O2 will sound like itself, so will the 990 PROs, which will make the treble up front and piercing at times.

Now a tube amp will generally bring up the mids and make it round and smooth flavoring  the sound in that way. I think this might actually be better suited for the PROs considering its given sound rather than going behind a completely transparent setup. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 30
I do not think I should talk more on this subject as I have only once used a tube-amp with the PROs and im serving all this from memory,
 would ask you to contact Purple Angel - he is my father as far the DT 990 PROs are concerned... he holds immense knowledge about these and what is best synergy ..

Regards

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

1. The bass is not boomy/flabby/uncontrolled etc. There is more mid-bass here than sub-bass, and it gives a great amount of visceral impact without slowing it down.

2. Running them out of an Ipod or computer causes the bass to be extremely loose and the remaining spectrum to be sub-par than when actually amped by some good amp.

I don't think I ever said that the bass is boomy or flabby -- this is a criticism that I hear sometimes, but it really depends on your point of reference. If you're coming from cheaper headphones, or if you like bass, the bass is amazing. If you're comparing the DT990 to other headphones in the same league, it depends. Flabby would be an exaggeration (when I think of flabby bass, I think of really cheap headphones), but the bass is a bit less clean and detailed than what I hear from my current AKG Q701, for example. I agree that the DT990 has more mid-bass than sub-bass. 

You are certainly correct about amping overall, but this review was written from the point of view of someone making a first high-quality audio purchase and who has never heard anything better. Sub-par, sure, but still better than most equipment in the sub $100 range. I was extremely pleased with running the DT990 straight out of my laptop for a while, but I eventually got an HRT Music Streamer II and an 18v CMOY, which certainly improved the sound. Nevertheless, my point is that some people (like high school or college kids with really tight budgets and who are just beginning to enjoy high end audio) can be happy without an amp. The idea that you must have an amp in order to get decent sound scares off some people who don't have the money to buy a DAC and an amp right away, and this is silly. They do sound good without an amp. Not optimal, but still much better than some cheapo Skullcandy (or whatever) nonsense. When you say extremely loose, you're not talking about the same kind of extremely loose that one would hear from some DJ type headphone from Walmart. The goal of my review was to put these kinds of judgments into perspective. 

That said, I now have a Little Dot MK3 amp (and I'm about to upgrade my DAC to something in the $500 range), and I would have a hard time going back to listening straight out of my laptop. I did enjoy it at the time, but alas, I've been spoiled with upgraditis...

Also, you can see some of my thoughts at the time when I first made the switch to a dedicated amp and DAC here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589801/review-hrt-ms2-and-jds-labs-cmoy-18v#post_8043537

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

I don't think I ever said that the bass is boomy or flabby -- this is a criticism that I hear sometimes, but it really depends on your point of reference. If you're coming from cheaper headphones, or if you like bass, the bass is amazing. If you're comparing the DT990 to other headphones in the same league, it depends. Flabby would be an exaggeration (when I think of flabby bass, I think of really cheap headphones), but the bass is a bit less clean and detailed than what I hear from my current AKG Q701, for example. I agree that the DT990 has more mid-bass than sub-bass. 

You are certainly correct about amping overall, but this review was written from the point of view of someone making a first high-quality audio purchase and who has never heard anything better. Sub-par, sure, but still better than most equipment in the sub $100 range. I was extremely pleased with running the DT990 straight out of my laptop for a while, but I eventually got an HRT Music Streamer II and an 18v CMOY, which certainly improved the sound. Nevertheless, my point is that some people (like high school or college kids with really tight budgets and who are just beginning to enjoy high end audio) can be happy without an amp. The idea that you must have an amp in order to get decent sound scares off some people who don't have the money to buy a DAC and an amp right away, and this is silly. They do sound good without an amp. Not optimal, but still much better than some cheapo Skullcandy (or whatever) nonsense. When you say extremely loose, you're not talking about the same kind of extremely loose that one would hear from some DJ type headphone from Walmart. The goal of my review was to put these kinds of judgments into perspective. 

That said, I now have a Little Dot MK3 amp (and I'm about to upgrade my DAC to something in the $500 range), and I would have a hard time going back to listening straight out of my laptop. I did enjoy it at the time, but alas, I've been spoiled with upgraditis...

Also, you can see some of my thoughts at the time when I first made the switch to a dedicated amp and DAC here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589801/review-hrt-ms2-and-jds-labs-cmoy-18v#post_8043537

its probably point of reference like you said... i dont really wanna listen to inferior gears neither... i even want to upgrade now... not that i cant stand inferior gears though but whats the point, right?

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 30
Been a member a while, more a lurker up until about 6 months ago when I discovered I needed a good set of headphones.  After a lot of research and comparing specs, freq. curves etc etc I decided the best bang for the buck in terms of my taste was the DT990 Pros.  Let me tell you I received them today and they did not disappoint.  They are fantastic.  After a little burn in they will get even better.  Thanks to everyone on this site for their insight and reviews.  While it made my decision take much longer it was very much an informed decision. One day I will have the Beyer T1's just not yet.  I am moving on now to finding a good solid state amp and a Tube Amp... best of both worlds!   There just may be a pile of Schitt in my future...

Peace OOK

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #26 of 30
  Been a member a while, more a lurker up until about 6 months ago when I discovered I needed a good set of headphones.  After a lot of research and comparing specs, freq. curves etc etc I decided the best bang for the buck in terms of my taste was the DT990 Pros.  Let me tell you I received them today and they did not disappoint.  They are fantastic.  After a little burn in they will get even better.  Thanks to everyone on this site for their insight and reviews.  While it made my decision take much longer it was very much an informed decision. One day I will have the Beyer T1's just not yet.  I am moving on now to finding a good solid state amp and a Tube Amp... best of both worlds!   There just may be a pile of Schitt in my future...

Peace OOK

glad you like it, i still have my pair and use it fairly often though now the upgraditis is really itching... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #27 of 30
Hi,
Thanks for the great review. I think I am going to upgrade to these. However I'm just wondering about the comfort of these headphones as I have heard the main complaint in the pro vs premium beyerdynamic headphones is the increased clamping force on the pro's. Does this bother you at all? Any help would be great.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #28 of 30
I can't compare to the premiums as I've never tried them. The clamping force didn't bother me, but I am also a person who doesn't have comfort issues with headphones in general. I will say that you can always bend the headband to reduce the clamp, as it's just a metal bar. However, the foam over the drivers tends to touch my ears no matter what, as the earpads aren't very deep.

Jun 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #30 of 30
I bought them after comparing to 100+ headphones in a good store with live display rack for all brands. I am extremely happy and I would buy them again. By far the best headphones I had or tried. Recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back